Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New powerbooks?

New powerbooks?
pvito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 09:03 AM

Does anyone think there will be a new rev to the powerbook line in September? I ordered a 12" w/superdrive and 80GB hd like two weeks ago and its been delayed several times. I am just going to cancel the order and hope a new rev pops up within the next couple of weeks.

I just can't see how they can have the consumer iMac wiping the "Pro" powerbook's but without updating them as well....

Opinions? Thanks!
Windows is so broken I can't even
believe it!

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 09:44 AM

It seems like September is usually the right time for another revision. Of course maybe if the they were able to get the G5 into an iMac, they can get it into a PB. It still might be difficult because the PBs are only 1" thin.
-nate

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 10:30 AM

Keep in mind though, that Apple's plan was to unveil the iMac in late June, not now.

This would suggest that if everything went to plan, we would be seeing some other products at Paris but instead we are seeing the G5 iMac in addition to whatever they had planned for Paris originally.

I think we'll be seeing a lot of stuff at Paris, perhaps Powerbook updates (but i still think that's a stretch). It's only been 4 months since the last update.

pvito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 10:38 AM

True. I'm not looking for a G5 PowerBook at this point. Just an update perhaps?

I have a feeling we will be seeing some sort of pb update. Definitely not G5 though...
believe it!

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 11:32 AM

i doubt there will be a pb update this soon. didnt the rev. c's come out in june or july??

-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 12:34 PM

The current PowerBook line was introduced right near the end of April (effectively the start of May), so even if Apple had a short 5-month update span they'd still be looking at October. Most likely it'll be November.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

BenRoethig
Aug 26, 2004, 12:51 PM

Anyone thought of two different powerbook lines? lets start with a size comparison

15" PBG4: (inches)
1.1x13.7x11.8

Emachines m6811 (A64)
1.6x14x10.4

Compaq/ HP Athlon 64 notebooks:
1.8x14.25x11.8

There is no way a G5 is ever going to fit inside a 1 inch package. However, they have fit inside a 1.75" xserve. Apple could offer a thicker PBG5 as a desktop replacement line while keeping the ultra thin G4s as the ultimate business notebooks.

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 01:40 PM

Doesn't Apple have a history of introducing new stuff when promos expire? Is there any hint in the edu "Cram & Jam" promo expiring on Sept 15th?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Hairllama:
Doesn't Apple have a history of introducing new stuff when promos expire? Is there any hint in the edu "Cram & Jam" promo expiring on Sept 15th?
me thinks it expires on the 25th
iamwhor3hay

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 02:03 PM

Yep, It's the 25th. I just checked.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 02:20 PM

I don't know, in my opinion we will see some updated G4 PowerBooks (possibly 2GHz) and we wll see them at MW SF in January.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by anamexis:
I don't know, in my opinion we will see some updated G4 PowerBooks (possibly 2GHz) and we wll see them at MW SF in January.
Mmmm.. 1.75GHz 12 inch PB
iamwhor3hay

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 03:37 PM

Luckily for me I'm waiting until late September/early October to get my PowerBook so it should work out either way [for me].

Sudogenic
Aug 26, 2004, 03:59 PM

I called up a couple of stores in London today and both said they were out of stock of certain PBs and low on stock on the others.

A sign of an update, or just a matter of low stock?

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2004, 05:52 PM

Just checked at my local CompUSA. 17" Powerbooks have gone to discontinued by manufacturer, sell at discount status. They just knocked $400 off the asking price.

Buy now, or wait? For me, wait, as I like my 12"PB. I don't need the screen for most of what I use it for (some of the stuff it would be nice, but not necessary), and portability is a major factor, so the 12" for me.

Note that the 12" and 15" PBs did not go discontinued, and Apple usually revamps the whole line simultaneously. But then, Apple does on occasion think different (had to, beat me later). Is this a sign that the 17" will be revamped, or a sign of error from CompUSA corporate? I lean toward the error, but just slightly.

And yes, I do like not actually answering the question, but adding a tantalizing new development that still leaves the base question unanswered (this being the third or fourth time I've done this, and several complained the last time). Hmm, I wonder if I have the Bowie song "Putting Out the Fire With Gasoline". I have a sudden urge to play it...

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Xaositect:
Just checked at my local CompUSA. 17" Powerbooks have gone to discontinued by manufacturer, sell at discount status. They just knocked $400 off the asking price.

Buy now, or wait? For me, wait, as I like my 12"PB. I don't need the screen for most of what I use it for (some of the stuff it would be nice, but not necessary), and portability is a major factor, so the 12" for me.

Note that the 12" and 15" PBs did not go discontinued, and Apple usually revamps the whole line simultaneously. But then, Apple does on occasion think different (had to, beat me later). Is this a sign that the 17" will be revamped, or a sign of error from CompUSA corporate? I lean toward the error, but just slightly.

And yes, I do like not actually answering the question, but adding a tantalizing new development that still leaves the base question unanswered (this being the third or fourth time I've done this, and several complained the last time). Hmm, I wonder if I have the Bowie song "Putting Out the Fire With Gasoline". I have a sudden urge to play it...
how much is the 17 inch powerbook and where is your local compusa?
iamwhor3hay

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 06:49 PM

This is what I think

pvito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 06:59 PM

haha..... thats great!
believe it!

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 07:08 PM

Mmm...a new rev with faster processors in the 12" would be hot... still hoping they come out with a widescreen for it. One can only hope.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 07:12 PM

nope 12" won't be widescreen. ever

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 07:46 PM

It's pretty hard to make up my mind on this powerbook question. Is there a reason Apple doesn't offer a 1.5 GHz 12-inch powerbook? It seems like how fast your computer is ought to be a choice you can just make, independent of the screen size.

I can't think why Apple would be dumping out the 17 inch powerbooks. What could they possibly do to make it more a more attractive purchase other than raise the screen size a little bit?

No, tell me it isn't so.... That must be it!
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

Scooterboy
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 09:19 PM

I'm ready to buy and am looking very seriously at the 17". However, I'll be holding off until mid September if it looks like an update is likely. ATi Radeon 9800 Mobility and slightly faster G4's would be nice, but how likely is a Powerbook G5?

When is Apple Expo Paris?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 10:25 PM

Whenever they bring us the next rev (and they will), whether it's a faster G4 or a G5 is largely irrelevant, at least if other threads have anything to go by.

Namely, the G4 and G5 aren't that different in general computing at comparable clock speeds, and if Motorola/Free-whatever have managed to keep the G4 heat output low but bumped the speed a little, and bumped the memory bus like they claimed, then that still makes an attractive buy

It's just a question of when.... the original 17" was announced in January but available in April/May, then speed bumped in September, and again the following April/May. September might not be totally unreasonable...

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 10:48 PM

If you're on the fence, just wait. Even if the new ones aren't any faster the old ones will be cheaper

Then again, the radeon 9800 mobile will probably be in the powerbooks and from what I've heard THAT will be worth it -- EVEN if the processor speed didn't change much.

Here's to hoping for an update soon
Aloha

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by power142:
Whenever they bring us the next rev (and they will), whether it's a faster G4 or a G5 is largely irrelevant... the G4 and G5 aren't that different in general computing at comparable clock speeds, and if Motorola/Free-whatever have managed to keep the G4 heat output low but bumped the speed a little, and bumped the memory bus like they claimed, then that still makes an attractive
that is the dumbest thing i've read in a while. the arrival of a G5 PowerBook will be huge. try to remember what it was like when the G4 PowerBook came out. who in their right mind would buy yesteryear's tech when an all new machine of super-computing status comes out? it's not like it's just another speed bump; *when the G5 PowerBook arrives* is the whole ballgame here, people are holding off on purchasing the last of the G4s in anticipation of it's arrival. pretty dumb statement.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
that is the dumbest thing i've read in a while. the arrival of a G5 PowerBook will be huge. try to remember what it was like when the G4 PowerBook came out. who in their right mind would buy yesteryear's tech when an all new machine of super-computing status comes out? it's not like it's just another speed bump; *when the G5 PowerBook arrives* is the whole ballgame here, people are holding off on purchasing the last of the G4s in anticipation of it's arrival. pretty dumb statement.
No, its not a dumb statement.
The point is that if Powerbook G4s were to be pushed up to dual core 2.0GHz with a new memory bus, they would be incredibly fast. Definitely comparable to the G5. Just because it is not a completely new architecture does not mean it cannot be a substantial improvement. Also note that the thread is not specifically about Powerbook G5s,; it is about the next revision. Please don't be rude when people make insightful statements.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 12:01 AM

Actually if a dual core 2ghz G4 made it into a powerbook, that'd be one EXTREMELY DESIRABLE laptop. More so to me than a 2.5ghz single G5.

Why? Oh yeah that thing about my 3 year old dual g4 still able to run competetively against most powerbooks... yeah that one...

Uh huh. I'd love a dual 'processor' powerbook. Screw the G5 and it's overhyped DDR bus (DDR in general is WAY overhyped).
Aloha

pvito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 12:23 AM

Hey, how long of a "grace period" do you get with new purchases from apple? Like if they come out with new hardware within 10 days or something you can exchange your purchase for the newer product?

Am I crazy? I thought I heard that somewhere....
believe it!

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 12:23 AM

There is no such program for hardware, only OS X.

pvito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 12:35 AM

This must be what I was thinking about...

http://www.apple.com/support/store/legal.html

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price._ To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment."

lame.
believe it!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 12:43 AM

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 08:01 AM

I can confirm that Apple indeed refunds the difference when lowering the price, if you follow those instructions. A friend of mine got $250 back when they lowered the price of the rev A Pb12.

Of course he had to phone them himself, but they made no fuss at all (this was in Sweden).

How this applies to an entirely new product, I don't know.
Steve is better tahn you!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Actually if a dual core 2ghz G4 made it into a powerbook, that'd be one EXTREMELY DESIRABLE laptop. More so to me than a 2.5ghz single G5.
MacOS X is heavily optimized for two-processor systems, so expect it to fly on a dual core processor.

Why? Oh yeah that thing about my 3 year old dual g4 still able to run competetively against most powerbooks... yeah that one...

Uh huh. I'd love a dual 'processor' powerbook. Screw the G5 and it's overhyped DDR bus (DDR in general is WAY overhyped).
I don't think it is over-hyped. However, if a dual core 2 GHz G4 Powerbook makes ever its appearance, it will be better than a G5 Powerbook since it won't be the week G4 we know today, plus it will have two processing units. It will be rather based on the e600 platform, which is going to be announced this fall (this is news, not rumor, just I don't remember the link). And an e600 processor (essentially a much enhanced G4), has some features uncommon to today's mobile chips.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:17 AM

I've heard talk of Apple adding a 15" normal aspect ratio laptop to the lineup for a total of 4 PowerBook models. Seems bogus to me - Apple has gone with 3 models per product group for some time now. Good, Better, Best.

Whatever happens, I don't think we'll see a G5 PowerBook for at least six months. One, probably two more revisions of the G4 PowerBook will happen before the G5 goes portable. What I could easily envision is an update to the PowerBook lineup that centers of increased battery life. A modest bump in processor speed but not so much as to justify upgrading from the current models strictly for that. Maybe an improved display, something comparable to the XBrite that Sony has.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
MacOS X is heavily optimized for two-processor systems, so expect it to fly on a dual core processor.
Interesting roadmap, thanks Pierre. I'd be happy with one of those dual-core beauties even if the clock speed doesn't increase from now

I don't think it is over-hyped. However, if a dual core 2 GHz G4 Powerbook makes ever its appearance, it will be better than a G5 Powerbook since it won't be the week G4 we know today, plus it will have two processing units. It will be rather based on the e600 platform, which is going to be announced this fall (this is news, not rumor, just I don't remember the link). And an e600 processor (essentially a much enhanced G4), has some features uncommon to today's mobile chips.
...and even assuming we see no dual core e600 this fall, if they managed to pull off another ~40% increase in clock speed and a little memory tweaking, a 2+GHz 7447B/74xx is still an attractive proposal to those who (a) need or want to upgrade and/or (b) those who might notice the difference rather than just wanting the latest Gx airliner!

Freescale: eyes are on you, but don't blame us for being a little pessimistic about your roadmap.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by power142:
...and even assuming we see no dual core e600 this fall...
Keep in mind here that, generally, Apple use a new chip in some of their product lines at least 9 months after the announcement by the chip manufacturer.

Freescale: eyes are on you, but don't blame us for being a little pessimistic about your roadmap.
Yeah, this is the general sentiment and consensus in the Mac community. It would be great to see Apple having two competent chip suppliers.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 12:02 AM

There is still the as yet unused RM 7447 chip that has a faster bus and hard drive connection. This will be in the next rev. with a silght increase in speed but a greater increase in performance.

aehaas

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 28, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by aehaas:
This will be in the next rev
Did anyone else look at that and go I hope it isn't just so he can eat his words.

Paul Selden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 06:34 AM

I am writing this on a nearly dead Ti PB 14" - top of the range in its day - with a flickering screen and running off an external hard disk, just waiting for the insurance to buy me a new one. I hope the upgrade comes soon!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Paul Selden:
I am writing this on a nearly dead Ti PB 14" - top of the range in its day - with a flickering screen and running off an external hard disk, just waiting for the insurance to buy me a new one. I hope the upgrade comes soon!
what is a Ti PB 14" and where exactly will you get a new one?

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 11:39 AM

Just checked at my local CompUSA. 17" Powerbooks have gone to discontinued by manufacturer, sell at discount status.
After my 17-inch went in for repair 4 times and it still had problems, Apple offered to replace it. So they sent the shipping tags, and it left my hands on August 5th. It arrived to Apple one week later on August 12th. I tracked the shipment, and I know they signed for it. I have YET to receive a replacement...it's been over three weeks. Maybe this explains the discontinued aspect and that I will be getting a new model after it is shown in Paris?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2004, 01:06 PM

To those who e-mailed me about 17" PBs at discount - contact your local CompUSA and see if they have anymore. I'm not sales. If one store has them go discontinued, all did, it's nationalized inventory. What discounts willo vary from store to store, but when this happens they won't usually order more, so when they're gone, they're gone.

I responded to the first ten or so e-mails, but i've got another twenty+ in my box now, so I posted this to forum instead of responding individually.

On other topic in this thread...

Dual core G4 in a 12"PB would give me a woody! Battery and speed! If the tablets don't come (as usual), that would be my dream system.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
This is what I think
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 02:38 PM

A dual core G4 isn't consistent with the timing of the freescale chip announcement, not for a new powerbook in the next 45 days. Since
Apple is obviously not going to discontinue the 17-inch screen,
the question arises as to what willl happen to the high-end 'book? Something dramatic or merely a bunch of increments?

I can think of only two plausible dramatic improvements in
this time frame, both related to the screen. Bigger screen,
or touch-sensitive, like a tablet. Neither of these fly, a bigger
screen being too big and too heavy, and a touch screen being
not mainstream enough.

So, I vote for either incremental improvements, or no new 'book
until the dual-core.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by aehaas:
There is still the as yet unused RM 7447 chip that has a faster bus and hard drive connection. This will be in the next rev. with a silght increase in speed but a greater increase in performance.
As far as I know, there is no such thing like RM 7447. There was however the 7457-RM processor under development in Motorola, but the project has been canceled long ago. It is not known if Freescale is willing to resurrect this project. Do you know perhaps something more on this?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 03:20 PM

Howabout a 1.7/1.8ish powerbook with radeon 9800? You wouldn't take that?

I would!
Aloha

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Howabout a 1.7/1.8ish powerbook with radeon 9800? You wouldn't take that?

I would!
Have Mercy! Put Tiger on it and it's mine all mine!!

69camaro
Aug 28, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by pvito:
This must be what I was thinking about...

http://www.apple.com/support/store/legal.html

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price._ To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment."

lame.
That's how i bought my iPod, i bought a Rev. A powerbook 17 inch and 6 days later they announced the 1.33 GHz model.

gioele
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 10:13 AM

All I want from the new PB 12" is a ATI Radeon video card instead of the NVidia GeForce.

And frontal CD loader if possible.

nemesys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 11:34 PM

To those who e-mailed me about 17" PBs at discount - contact your local CompUSA and see if they have anymore. I'm not sales. If one store has them go discontinued, all did, it's nationalized inventory. What discounts willo vary from store to store, but when this happens they won't usually order more, so when they're gone, they're gone.

I responded to the first ten or so e-mails, but i've got another twenty+ in my box now, so I posted this to forum instead of responding individually.

On other topic in this thread...

Dual core G4 in a 12"PB would give me a woody! Battery and speed! If the tablets don't come (as usual), that would be my dream system.
I ordered a PowerBook 17" last Thursday (August 26) and got a confirmation that it shipped on Saturday from Shangai. So, I don't know if they are discontinued but I have a tracking number and can expect it next Wednesday (the 2nd).

Forum Links
Forum Rules