Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Rio800 or Nomad II MG?

Rio800 or Nomad II MG?
sMACk
May 30, 2001, 04:26 PM

I'm in the market for a new mp3 player, I've narrowed the field to these two players. Any insight you have as to which is the better player would be appreciated. Thanks.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 05:36 PM

I've got the regular Nomad II and I love it. The FM tuner is a plus. The Nomad II MG is the same but smaller(and the display is really small, almost too small). The Rio is nice as well but it lacks the FM tuner which I think is a really cool feature. Also, the Nomad II MG uses Smart Media which is not proprietary(unlike the Rio's backpacks). I'd go with the nomad but that's just me

------------------
Regards,
Dave
Regards,
Dave

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 07:39 PM

nomad MG is the top of the line player out there. It's the best by far....IMHO
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

power96
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 11:52 PM

I have the Nomad II and is the best, the display is small but readable. The tuner works well and worth it.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 03:35 AM

I have the Nomad II and love it. I like that it uses smart media, but the stuff is still pretty expensive nowadays. The FM tuner is great to have, and you can have like a zillion presets. FYI, I got mine like 2 months ago from buy.com for $176 with a $15 off coupon and free shipping. You should be able to do better than that. Oh and the fact that it works with iTunes right out of the box is pretty damn cool. But the Rio does too.

d2kit
Jun 5, 2001, 05:49 AM

Hi I have a Nomad II MG and I think it is beautiful. Very nice design and very powerful. As others said fm radio is a plus. If you have a powerbook and move alot I would also consider buying a usb cable with which you can d/l mp3 right away. Normally you would have to put the player in it's craddle which is nice but not very comfortable to always bring with you. In the end I would surely go for the Nomad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules