Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Have you created a podcast ? how you do it ?

Have you created a podcast ? how you do it ?
bzImage
Jun 18, 2005, 05:13 PM

Im looking forward to create my own podcast, i know is just a simple AAC or MP3 file and tons of apps allows to record from the mic and create an AAC and MP3 file, but im looking for some utility that allows me to "mix" itunes, internal mic, external mic and usb mic (i will have 2 guests and myself talking and i want background music). Wiretap allows me to record audio output (itunes) and mic inputs but i want to be able to "mute" the mics on some music, wiretap dont allow me to do that.

Basically im looking for something that allows me to record itunes output, serveral mic inputs and allows me to mute and unmute the mics.

Does such software exists ?

What do you use to create your podcast ?

When you have guests how they talk ? on the same mic you and the guest ? do you have separate mics for the guests ? what kind of mics do you have ? how do you include music on your recording ?

Thanks a lot.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2005, 09:23 PM

GarageBand seems like the obvious choice here if your machine supports it. Its easy, inexpensive, and offers quite a lot of flexibility. In fact, all of the podcasts at my web site have been done in GarageBand.

In GarageBand, I can drag and drop MP3s and mix and fade them however I want. If I have more than one person talking I would probably track each voice on a separate track with a separate mic, that way I can eq/mix them separately. For mics, gosh, thats a tough question. I either use a Shure SM58 or an AKG C1000s for vocals, but there are an infinite number of possibilities. I have an MOTU 828 firewire 8-track input box that I use and it works great with GarageBand.

Hope this helps.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 06:03 AM

The version of iTunes expected out asap will have podcasting capability.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bzImage  (op)
Jun 19, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
The version of iTunes expected out asap will have podcasting capability.
Yes, but i dont want to listen to a podcast i want to create one..

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 11:04 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

edavis
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2005, 08:31 AM

The most recent issue of MacHome has an article to walk you through creating your own podcast...might try to pick up a copy if you don't subscribe.

bzImage  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by edavis
The most recent issue of MacHome has an article to walk you through creating your own podcast...might try to pick up a copy if you don't subscribe.
Thanks but down here (Mexico City) there is not a single place to get that magazine.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hi bzImage!

I think we have to divide a few things here…

a) you want to record a show, mixing abilities, muting several mics etc.
b) for a podcast you have to mix down to a "single" track
c) publishing a podcast…

in reverse order:
c) a podcast is nothing then a soundfile added to a rss feed; have a look at the very intuitive app "rapidweaver"… it lets you creat blogs with a click AND it offers to add a "RSS" button, which will do all the procedings you need…
the listeners will get via rss-feed the massage "hey, bz has a new show onair!" and their podcast software will automatically download & install the show on the iPods…

b) for bandwith purposes, you should decide for a good compressors, as mp3 or aac (<<as an Apple afficionado I prefer)… think about stereo, think about quality… a 15KHzmono is much smaller, then 44,1KHz stereo! customer is king…

a) have thought about doing analog? a simple 4-8mixer, some decks, some mics, a tape? that stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper… on a Mac: you need a multi-channel usb-converter to get all your stuff simultanously into the Mac; the usage of Garageband would be nice, but it has to my knowledge a 100bar limitation in recording one single take… maybe, Logic Express is better for your purposes? (Apple website)…? there are free tools, as Audacity, but I'm not sure, wether they support multichannel recordings… ask your local Radio station

hope that helps making some things clear

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by bzImage
Im looking forward to create my own podcast, i know is just a simple AAC or MP3 file and tons of apps allows to record from the mic and create an AAC and MP3 file, but im looking for some utility that allows me to "mix" itunes, internal mic, external mic and usb mic (i will have 2 guests and myself talking and i want background music).
Hope these links will help:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...5/podcast.html

http://www.engadget.com/entry/5843952395227141/

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Too Artificial
The company which inspired the movement, trend, fad, industry called PODCASTING has taken it's sweet time to address this exploding market and not only HASN'T addressed the needs of the tens of thousands of current and future podcasters other than incidentally, but they stand by and watch as abominations like the above formulae are used as the ONLY available methods, to become a podcaster.

That is not only like making EVERY person who drives a car also become a mechanic, but it would also be akin to GM standing on the sidelines as consumers were forced to take their cars to chop shops and then modification firms to have a convertible roof installed.

Someone shouldn't have to jump thru all those hoops to podcast when Apple or any number of hi-tech firms could come out with ONE killer podcasting device/app that would be plug-in simple and do everything from recording, amplifying, compressing, connecting, editing, archiving and distributing a podcast.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2

Someone shouldn't have to jump thru all those hoops to podcast when Apple or any number of hi-tech firms could come out with ONE killer podcasting device/app that would be plug-in simple and do everything from recording, amplifying, compressing, connecting, editing, archiving and distributing a podcast.
full ack.

But… (there's allways a but–):

QTpro7 and Garageband are able to do recordings and converting; a cheap tool as Rapidweaver offers a very simple way doing websites AND includings RSS feeds… that's all you have to do right now…

And with the coming publish of iTunes 4.9 (podcast abo), I'm sure, .mac will offer a "RSS-feeds button" as part of "homepage" too… and then you have an almost two-step process for doing podcasting damn-simple… we'll see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules