Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web Objects free = confusion

Web Objects free = confusion
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 12:09 PM

I heard that web objects is free with xcode... does that mean that it's already on my system since I have the xcode that came with Tiger? (Or is there a url I should know of where I can download it?)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2005, 12:28 PM

I don't know if the actual WebObjects software comes with XCode, though it might.

You should be aware, though, that only a development license for WebObjects comes free with XCode. As such, you can only use what you've developed on a limited number of machines. I don't know if Apple takes some kind of measures to ensure that the developer version can't be seen on more than that number, but it's possible. Such licensing arrangements are common in the Web server world; BEA's WebLogic does it too.

To get a full license for WebObjects -one which will let you use your stuff on any number of machines- you need to get Tiger Server.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 12:49 PM

Isn't webobjects an IDE? I fail to see reason for paying licensing on an application that I've created with it that I could have used a free Linux IDE to use... unless there is some kind of wierd OS X integeration with OS X server that you can only develop for... ? Buying the IDE should be enough... giving it away free has certain implications that I'm sure seem to more than myself... obvious.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
I heard that web objects is free with xcode... does that mean that it's already on my system since I have the xcode that came with Tiger? (Or is there a url I should know of where I can download it?)
The WebObjects 5.3 developer tools are free with Xcode 2.1, which you can download from http://connect.apple.com/

A WebObjects deployment license comes free with Mac OS X Server. Deployment to other platforms is no longer supported.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 01:12 PM

Isn't webobjects an IDE?
No, it isn't.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2005, 01:23 PM

Isn't webobjects an IDE?
Nope. It's a Web application framework, more akin to Cocoa than it is XCode.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 03:47 AM

A WebObjects application server comes with Xcode. You can use Xcode to develop your WO apps and then run them on your machine or a development server. A deployment license is still required to actually use WO however. A deployment license comes free with Tiger Server. Apple no longer sells WebObjects deployment licenses that aren't attached to Tiger Server.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Apple no longer sells WebObjects deployment licenses that aren't attached to Tiger Server.
Not true:

Apple Store

Development platforms
Mac OS X v10.2.2
Windows 2000 Professional SP3

Deployment platforms
Mac OS X Server v10.2.2
Windows 2000 Server SP3
Solaris 8

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Store
WebObjects 5.2
The latest release of WebObjects, the one with the free development license and with the deployment license only available with Tiger Server is 5.3. I suppose I should have said the latest version of WebObjects' does not have a deployment license that isn't attached to Tiger Server. The latest version of WO licensed to run on Windows and Solaris is 5.2.4.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Not true:

Apple Store
You're looking at v5.2 - v5.3 is Mac OS X Tiger only.

Strange they haven't removed it.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Graymalkin
The latest release of WebObjects, the one with the free development license and with the deployment license only available with Tiger Server is 5.3. I suppose I should have said the latest version of WebObjects' does not have a deployment license that isn't attached to Tiger Server. The latest version of WO licensed to run on Windows and Solaris is 5.2.4.
Actually, what I've heard is that you can buy a Tiger Server license, extract the WebObjects license from that and legally you're OK for deploying to Windows and Solaris. But it won't be supported.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 09:36 AM

Supported is overrated. I deployed 5.2 on Red Hat Linux
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules