Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse!

Mighty Mouse! (Page 5)
teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope
3 weeks to receive your shuffle. I'll bet you were climbing the walls.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

belafonte
Aug 4, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by reemas
This is not that Mighty. They should rename it to Mini Mouse.

Its kind of like Superman, but with a leash.

I cant wait for the $99 Bluetooth version though.
you're a MINNY MOUSE

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
I didn't even notice at first, but lifting my index finger from the left/primary click key when right clicking is no problem because I already do that when using any multibutton mouse. I do that, not every one does so YMMV.
That tracks with what I have noticed on my two button mouse.

Thanks for the review. Now I am really excited to get my MM!

Tetsuo
Aug 4, 2005, 09:54 PM

can you use the side buttons as forward/back in safari/camino etc?

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun

apple is right in line IMO.

no way $15 is a realistic price point.

And IMO it's overpriced for the general mouse buyer (but probably not for the general Apple enthusiast). When the average mouse costs $25 putting one out that cost twice that and only has full potential (and it's arguably most innovative feature-360 degree scrolling) if you bought the most recent $129 OS upgrade I would argue that it's overpriced for features you can commonly find in other mice.

Of course the argument that other mice are cheap is subjective too so I won't bother posting links to mice since you'll just dismiss them as such. Yes there are more expensive mice out there now, but that wasn't my point, this is Apple's ONLY multi-button mouse, can it be more competitive? The mouse I have now was $25 and works fine, doesn't feel cheap by any means. I do also have a bluetooth Apple mouse which is gathering dust in my laptop bag because it eats batteries-not really what I want to do for daily work, waste energy. More expensive doesn't automatically create a better experience.

Would it really hurt Apple to offer this for say $39.95? For all the customers they want to gain with the Mac Mini to offer a mouse that's ten percent of the cost seems counter-intuitive. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes to the converted, but I thought Apple's recent business plan sought a wider berth.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 05:24 AM

I'll have to test this at the Apple Store.... anyway, I'm happy with my Logitech MX 1000.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 06:21 AM

Review of Apple's Mighty Mouse and comparison with Microsoft's new mouse:

Apple's New Mouse Is Not as Mighty As Rival's Magnifier

Microsoft has beaten Apple on hardware design, at least in this one case.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Remember that what you are advocating is that it give priority to right-clicks over left-clicks. That's insanity. Left-clicks are vastly more common.

tooki
That's not what I'm advocating though. What I'm thinking is that despite the mouse clicking down as one button, the mouse should be able to decipher that there's more pressure being applied to the right side of the mouse, thus registering it as a right click.

Nothing in relation to which mouse button is used more.

That way, it responds to everyones way of using a mouse: those who lift their index finger to right click, and those that don't.

I still don't see a good reason for apple's decision on that. Or maybe it's a hardware limitation....

michaelb
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Review of Apple's Mighty Mouse and comparison with Microsoft's new mouse:

Apple's New Mouse Is Not as Mighty As Rival's Magnifier
So Walt and Katie are uncoordinated. I've had no problems right-clicking with my Mighty Mouse.

Besides, the feature that Walt loves on the Microsoft mouse is the magnifier feature: "You just click this little button on the mouse's left side, and instantly a rectangular area around the cursor opens to magnify that portion of the screen below. The rest of the screen remains normal."

A respected columnist like Walt should know that this has nothing to do with hardware.

Can anyone say... Third-party haxie for the Mighty Mouse's third button?

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 08:30 AM

got mine yesterday, I absoloutly LOVE the scroll ball

but hate everything else about it =/

Mine is going back if it can, or being sold

the hand does not rest comfortably for those that spend long hours on the computer, side buttons are not placed well and are difficult to activate without moving your whole hand

the two front buttons are flakey (but could be worked out with time) and you cannnot press them both at one time (big problem for some gamers)

the whole package does not sit well besides the ball (love that thing)

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2005, 09:21 AM

Too little too late. Apple could have made a killing with this thing before BT came out. Sorry, not interested in something that was so inevitably necessary yet so ignored by Apple until now. Apple is the one that needed to think different in this case. Too bad they didn't think sooner.

osxisfun
Aug 5, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by drmcnutt
And IMO it's overpriced for the general mouse buyer (but probably not for the general Apple enthusiast). When the average mouse costs $25 putting one out that cost twice that and only has full potential (and it's arguably most innovative feature-360 degree scrolling) if you bought the most recent $129 OS upgrade I would argue that it's overpriced for features you can commonly find in other mice.

Of course the argument that other mice are cheap is subjective too so I won't bother posting links to mice since you'll just dismiss them as such. Yes there are more expensive mice out there now, but that wasn't my point, this is Apple's ONLY multi-button mouse, can it be more competitive? The mouse I have now was $25 and works fine, doesn't feel cheap by any means. I do also have a bluetooth Apple mouse which is gathering dust in my laptop bag because it eats batteries-not really what I want to do for daily work, waste energy. More expensive doesn't automatically create a better experience.

Would it really hurt Apple to offer this for say $39.95? For all the customers they want to gain with the Mac Mini to offer a mouse that's ten percent of the cost seems counter-intuitive. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes to the converted, but I thought Apple's recent business plan sought a wider berth.
so we agree. $15 is not realistic.

i'd bet the next rev is $39.95. prob. when the bluetooth version ships.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 12:23 PM

I don't like smooth plastic mice. The oil from my hands really bothers me... and I find myself cleaning the thing 3-4 times a day. I'm assuming this mouse is like the others Apple currently makes.

I'm rather happy with my Microsoft RF mouse... it was cheap, and it works.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 05:39 PM

I decided to cancel my order... it was delayed, which in and of itself is not that big of a deal, but it did give me a chance to have a second thought. I'll wait until I have a chance to play with one in person before buying. I may still get one, but I'll check it out first instead of buying sight-unseen and (potentially) wasting $50 plus shipping.

I'll stick with my Logitech MX-300 for now (quit using my MX-1000 because it might be bothering my wrist; I'll give the old MX-300 a try and see if my wrist bothers me less).

Brian McHale
Aug 5, 2005, 05:59 PM

Is it my imagination or are an awful lot of people missing what really makes this mouse worthwhile?

Maybe there are some other mice out there with a scroll ball, but I had never heard of one before. I work with a lot of stuff (music in particular) where 360 degrees of scrolling will be a big bonus. Just about every review I've read talks about how great the scroll ball is, except that guy who wrote that review above where he liked the new Microsoft mouse better. That might very well be a better mouse, but the guy couldn't figure out how to make the scroll ball work properly and basically blew it off like it was a minor feature or even a defect:

The scrolling function on the Apple mouse is also somewhat compromised in the name of design. Instead of the tried and tested scroll wheel, Apple embedded a tiny "scroll ball" in the top of the Mighty Mouse. It allows you to scroll vertically, horizontally and even diagonally. It looks cool, but I found it inferior to a scroll wheel and could never get it to work diagonally.
"Tried and tested scroll wheel"? I love scroll wheels, but he's making it sound like the wheel has an inherent advantage over the ball, but he obviously didn't know how to use the ball.

If all you want is a two button mouse with a scroll wheel, then I'm sure this mouse is not worth $46.99 (Amazon) to you. But 360 degree scrolling? That's why I've got one on order.
Brian

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brian McHale
Is it my imagination or are an awful lot of people missing what really makes this mouse worthwhile?

Maybe there are some other mice out there with a scroll ball, but I had never heard of one before. I work with a lot of stuff (music in particular) where 360 degrees of scrolling will be a big bonus. Just about every review I've read talks about how great the scroll ball is, except that guy who wrote that review above where he liked the new Microsoft mouse better. That might very well be a better mouse, but the guy couldn't figure out how to make the scroll ball work properly and basically blew it off like it was a minor feature or even a defect:

"Tried and tested scroll wheel"? I love scroll wheels, but he's making it sound like the wheel has an inherent advantage over the ball, but he obviously didn't know how to use the ball.

If all you want is a two button mouse with a scroll wheel, then I'm sure this mouse is not worth $46.99 (Amazon) to you. But 360 degree scrolling? That's why I've got one on order.
A scroll ball is what is it. Theres no "not knowing how to use it". You either like it or you don't. Even if the scroll ball is amazing to use, Doesn't the fact that clicking doesn't work well turn you off from buying it? I tried one at the Apple store and clicking wasn't consistent. I didn't find the ball particularly revolutionary nor easy to use. I rather hold spacebar and use the hand tool to move the canvas around over using a small ball, its much more precise.
MBP 1.83

Brian McHale
Aug 5, 2005, 09:25 PM

A scroll ball is what is it. Theres no "not knowing how to use it".
I beg to differ. Read this quote from his review again:
...and could never get it to work diagonally.
I've read a number of reviews and this is the only one that indicated that diagonal scrolling was a problem. He couldn't figure out how to use it, or didn't try very hard.
Brian

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 09:45 PM

If you can't get diagonal scrolling working...well you've got bigger problems than what mouse to buy. Working in GarageBand is really fun with this mouse; instead of scolling up and down the track list and then dragging the slider to the right part of the timeline you can just use the tip of your finger. I don't think it will be too long before someone writes a bit of software to talk directly to these to enable multidimensional cursor control - e.g. mouse hand for x and y and move ball for y and z.

I played a multi-hour session of SW:Battlefront on my iMac last night to "test" my new mouse, I didn't have any issues with it that I didn't have with my old IntelliMouse. Namely using button 3 to zoom and scroll to switch weapons leads to "ZoomSwitch" which is a totaly PITA in Battlefront and most FPSes. Changing the weapon switch to a keyboard key and leaving the scroll unbound worked wonders with my IntelliMouse and as such my Mighty Mouse. The right button worked fine for throwing grenades and the ball button worked fine for zoom. I left button four (squeeze) unbound because squeezing the sides in the middle of the game proved to be a little too difficult.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brian McHale
I beg to differ. Read this quote from his review again:

I've read a number of reviews and this is the only one that indicated that diagonal scrolling was a problem. He couldn't figure out how to use it, or didn't try very hard.
And I've read several reviews that mention it as well as have tried it out in the Apple store and experienced it myself. The arstechnica review explains it best

"Apple's product page for the Mighty Mouse brags that you can do 360-degree sweeps and scroll at a 45-degree angle, but my experience on three different machines says that's not quite the case. While trying to scroll at 45º in Photoshop, the diagonal scrolling leaves a bit to be desired. Horizontal and vertical scrolling is smooth as usual, and 360º sweeps seem to work alright as long as "360 degrees" means something more like "scrolling in a square-shaped pattern." You can control the speed of the scrolling (not independently, however) in the Mouse System Prefs."

As for other reviews, heres another that has problems with the scroll ball.

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008561.html
MBP 1.83

ShadowKatana
Aug 5, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I decided to cancel my order... it was delayed, which in and of itself is not that big of a deal, but it did give me a chance to have a second thought. I'll wait until I have a chance to play with one in person before buying. I may still get one, but I'll check it out first instead of buying sight-unseen and (potentially) wasting $50 plus shipping.

I'll stick with my Logitech MX-300 for now (quit using my MX-1000 because it might be bothering my wrist; I'll give the old MX-300 a try and see if my wrist bothers me less).
I just recently got an MX-1000 and noticed that the medial border of my hand was tender for a week or two. Its feeling much better now.

-ShadowKatana (aka Salsa)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Just got it and it works great. I'm having to make minor adjustments to my mouse handling, but it's no big deal.

Highly recommended!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 02:47 PM

tried it out at the local mac store yesterday. the scroll ball feels too grainy, the sqeeze buttons are in odd positions, and i can't freaking right click without taking my index finger off the mouse. the dude at the mac store said it was a "swivel switch" so i tried swivelling my hand to the right to activate the secondary click. nope. still have to take my index finger off the mouse to get it to work right. the mighty mouse was a good try, but hopefully apple will have a better go at it in mighty mouse round 2
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Darthmaul4114
tried it out at the local mac store yesterday. the scroll ball feels too grainy, the sqeeze buttons are in odd positions, and i can't freaking right click without taking my index finger off the mouse. the dude at the mac store said it was a "swivel switch" so i tried swivelling my hand to the right to activate the secondary click. nope. still have to take my index finger off the mouse to get it to work right. the mighty mouse was a good try, but hopefully apple will have a better go at it in mighty mouse round 2

I keep my index finger at 11 o'clock and my middle finger at 1 o'clock. In order for the right-click to render, yes, you must lift off your index finger. FWIW, when clicking, I press as though I want to slide my finger off the mouse -- trying to push as far to the right as I can -- and it clicks every time.

As to the side buttons, they are in the same exact place as they are on the Pro Mouse. That being the case, if you handle the mouse properly, your thumb tip should be right on top of the button (unless you have small hands). You do NOT have to press both side buttons to trigger the action -- one will do. Thus, you can activate the left side button with your thumb.

The "problems" that many people are having with this mouse is primarily due to the manner in which they hold it. The Apple Mouse is designed to fit completely in your palm: the back of the mouse should be resting against the base of your hand, the top of the mouse should be near the center of your palm, and the front should have your fingers draping over it. It's designed to be held *almost* like you're trying to cover it up with one hand. Like so:

All that said, if you do hold it as Apple intended -- and you don't have small hands -- the mouse functions as designed. However, most people hold this mouse with finger tips along the top front.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 03:59 PM

So, my mouse shipped on Thursday night, and, although I paid for overnight shipping, FedEx estimates that it won't arrive until Monday. I realize that FedEx doesn't deliver on Sundays, but is there any logical reason why overnight shipping wouldn't get it here within two delivery days?

Tritium
Aug 6, 2005, 04:06 PM

I got mine from fedex yesterday. The scroll ball is really neat, but I'm still getting used to the "one button, several sensors" feel of right and middle clicks. It's quite unnerving at times, but I like it more than the MX510 I had before. I could never get that mouse to feel "right", even though it does have a ton of buttons. I naturally lift my index finger off the mouse when I right click so that is a non-issue for me.

The scroll ball is very hard to get going at 45 degree angles, it likes to go sideways or up and down much more.

Sadly, the best multi button optical mouse I've used that doesn't track strangely on a mac is the original microsoft intellimouse explorer that I bought back in '99 or so. It only has a 400dpi sensor though, so fast movements confuse it. Sad

Safari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2005, 05:31 PM

Just got a mighty mouse and as my first multi-button mouse, I must say it is much more intuitive and practical.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to assign a keyboard shortcut ("command H") to one of the buttons?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Safari
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to assign a keyboard shortcut ("command H") to one of the buttons?
• Open Script Editor
• Type in the following code:
Code:
tell application "System Events" keystroke "h" using {command down} end tell
(make sure to sure to use lowercase "h".
• Save the script as "Application Bundle" with the name "Hider"
• Right-click on Hider.app and select "Show package contents"
• Navigate to /Contents/Info.plist and open the Info.plist with TextEdit
• after the first <dict> add the following two lines
Code:
<key>LSUIElement</key> <integer>1</integer>
• Save the Info.plist.
• Now if you double-click "Hider" in the Finder it should work but not show up in the Dock. If it does show up make a copy of it in the Finder, trash the original and rename it to "Hider" again. Make sure it works but does not show up in the Dock
• Now in the Mouse preferences for the squeeze buttons select "Other..." and navigate to "Hider" and select it as the application to open when they are pressed.

That's it.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 09:10 PM

I'm at the Apple Store right now to finally test this mouse out in person!

- vertical scrolling is very good, though it does feel a little bit "grainy" like some have mentioned previously.

- diagonal scrolling DOES NOT work as you will think it will. I can not get it to work properly (I opened up a big resolution photo in preview to test)

- the side buttons are not that hard to press, they are definitely useable.

- the one thing that bothers be as much as I was hoping it wasn't .... was the index finger needs to NOT be touching the left side what so ever (even the slightly touch won't trigger the right click) ..... this unfortunately bothers me too much I think to use the mouse. Hopefully someone will hack this soon; I would really prefer not to change my way of using a mouse just for this mouse.

If someone can hack that, I will buy the mouse. Very nice otherwise.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 10:04 PM

Anyone know if CompUSA is carrying these yet?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Anyone know if CompUSA is carrying these yet?

I was just about to ask that... I'm hitting them today to try to get one.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 10:26 AM

• Open Script Editor
• Type in the following code:
Code:
tell application "System Events" keystroke "h" using {command down} end tell
(make sure to sure to use lowercase "h".
snip
Awesome Tetenal.

I haven't received my MM yet but was thinking it would be nice to be able to magnify (command +) with a click. I am guessing however that this may not work because of the limitations of buttons.

The squeeze buttons only for one app. For magnification and then to return to the original size it would take two script apps.

Anyone know yet how to hack the squeeze buttons? You only need squeeze one at a time anyway, why should they be allowed to be programmed separately? I sent feedback.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 05:45 PM

I haven't gotten my MM yet but I've made a hot key event similar to TETENAL's instructions that should activate Konsposé for Konfabulator users. This is all you need to type and follow the instructions above to save it as an application bundle that doesn't appear in the Dock:

Code:
tell application "System Events" to key code 100
key code 100 references the default Konsposé hot key which is F8; While the image is difficult to read you can get other key codes from this layout

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I was just about to ask that... I'm hitting them today to try to get one.

They said a few weeks???

stesteG5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 07:04 AM

After a few days delays.. it arrived..

Looks sexy, tho it has a nipple on top...

smooth operation.

Still prefer my MX1000 at the moment.. ill update my thoughts later....
Kind Regards

STE

:: Imac 20" G5, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, BT, APT, Yadda Yadda :P ::
:: 60GB IPOD PHOTO, Harman Kardon Soundstick 2. ISIGHT :) ::

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 10:15 AM

For what it is worth... I tried out a MM today at the Apple store. I wasn't all that impressed. It's not bad, but I have a Microsoft mouse that uses RF and it fits my hand perfect.

I'm sure someone out there will have a hand that fits that thing, but mine isn't one of them.

Perhaps it's one of those things that grows on you?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 8, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
I've just realised that what we've got here is a laser mouse, with a ball mouse mounted upside down ontop of it ! I wonder how long before we get the next evolution - a laser mouse with a laser 'scroll ball' ?
It's not a laser mouse. It's a standard LED optical mouse.

The only mouse on the market that actually uses a laser is the Logitech MX1000.

tooki

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 09:31 PM

Got my mighty mouse today... I LOVE IT! I had doubts but I took a risk and I am glad I did!

It works MUCH better than I thought, the scroll ball is the best part, it doesn't roll like old scroll balls do where you can feel the rollers but when you do one finger swipe it feels like a million little clickers in there.

The side buttons are also cool because they don't actually click, they just need a good squeeze.

The way the ball button works is cool, it doesn't actually click either but when you push down on it and the WHOLE mouse clicks down it registers as a click.

I highly recommend it.

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 09:51 PM

I ordered mine Wednesday morning, and my order is still being processed.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 10:09 PM

Well... I think I'm going to be returning mine pretty soon.

It's just that... I've already gotten used to the single-button mouse and find myself Ctrl-clicking on accident instead of right-clicking. And I already have a fully functional Logitech MX300 that I could plug in incase I needed too.

But the biggest reason is that I'm a student and can't afford these impulse buys. So... unless you actually need a new mouse, or actually need a multi-button mouse, I'd hold off. But if you've got $50 to blow go for it.

I realized I should be saving for a new iBook.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2005, 10:52 PM

looks like i might be getting this mouse! i came back from a vacation two days ago to find my dying M$ mouse dead on my desk. i knew i had to get a new one, but it was a good surprise to find that apple had released a new "multi-button" mouse just in time for my upgrade!
now i just have to see how it feels in the store...
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 02:49 PM

Bluetooth schmuetooth
LOL. Dont know why that made me laugh so hard. I think it reminded me of something Joey say on friends. Sorta random. Sorry
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

jacquej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2005, 04:19 PM

Ordered it from the Apple webstore. I am delighted with it. I am a leftie, and have arthritis in my old hands.

The left and right click works perfectly, at least the way I use it, and I love the scroll pimple, so much easier on me.

For any others, here is the way I use the mouse. Left index finger on the scroll dimple, with the left hand cradling the mouse mostly on the left side of the mouse. Left side is the "primary" click, and right side is the "secondary click.

With minimum movement of my index finger, I will shift it from the scroll dimple to which ever side I want to click on...

My husband gripes constantly about the cost of batteries (he is lovable otherwise), and I mostly stay put, so prefer a "plug-in" mouse. I also have noticed that the wireless mice are a bit slower to register in some applications.

What I love the most is the way the scroll pimple works... so easy on my old finger to use, and so smooth! I haven't figured out diagonal scrolling yet, so cannot comment on that.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 06:04 PM

Agreed, the scroll ball is the best thing about MM. It's just lovely.

Anyone using MM w/ Panther (10.3.9)? I'm not finding the option to assign primary and secondary button functions, as promised by the MM documentation -- it's not in the obvious place, the K&M panel in Sys Pref. Am I missing something?

zoetrope
Aug 9, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
I'm not finding the option to assign primary and secondary button functions, as promised by the MM documentation -- it's not in the obvious place, the K&M panel in Sys Pref. Am I missing something?
You're in the right panel in Sys Prefs, did you install the software that came with the mouse?
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 06:21 PM

You're in the right panel in Sys Prefs, did you install the software that came with the mouse?
No, the software is only for 10.4.2.

Curses. It looks like (counter to what the printed MM documentation says) you *can't* assign primary + secondary button functions in 10.3.9:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302063

zoetrope
Aug 9, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Curses. It looks like (counter to what the printed MM documentation says) you *can't* assign primary + secondary button functions in 10.3.9:
Wow, that is totally contradictory to what this page states on Apple's site

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/specs.html

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or 10.4.1 and earlier Assign primary and secondary buttons and activate Exposé. Display Dashboard in Mac OS X v10.4 or 10.4.1.
But you're right, the troubleshooting doc states that in 10.3.9 the left and right buttons are assigned primary and secondary respectively. Sorry about the question, I'm running 10.4.2 so I should've looked before I asked. But then again, with Apple's contradictions, who knows whats really accurate. They need to fix this pronto!
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 06:39 PM

Where is the contradiction on Apple's web site? You can swap primary and secondary buttons on 10.3.9 and you can assign Exposé features to the buttons 2, 3 and 4.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 06:42 PM

Where is the contradiction on Apple's web site? You can swap primary and secondary buttons on 10.3.9 and you can assign Exposé features to the buttons 2, 3 and 4.
You cannot assign primary + secondary buttons on 10.3.9, as it stands. See the KBase document above.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 06:56 PM

You can assign primary button to the top left or top right button. You can assign secondary button to the top left or the top right button. What else do you mean by "assigning primary and secondary button"? On Tiger you can not assign primary or secondary to any other button as well. The only thing that you can do on Tiger that's not possible on Panther is configure the mouse as one button (primary button only) mouse.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 08:31 PM

You can assign primary button to the top left or top right button. You can assign secondary button to the top left or the top right button. What else do you mean by "assigning primary and secondary button"? On Tiger you can not assign primary or secondary to any other button as well. The only thing that you can do on Tiger that's not possible on Panther is configure the mouse as one button (primary button only) mouse.
You can't configure the MM on Panther as "one-button" (primary button only) mouse, correct.

You also cannot, if you're say left-handed, switch primary and secondary.

It's fixed at left = primary, right = secondary. You cannot assign primary and secondary button functions.

You can read the KBase document above for those exact words, pretty much, and a picture of the 10.3.9 sys pref pane, sans any Primary/Secondary button menu control.

If you've found otherwise, OTOH, please do let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules