Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about Amazon return policy

Question about Amazon return policy
pete
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 08:11 PM

I've always bought my powerbooks from Amazon because of their generous return policy. However, just when I was playing with the thought of ordering a new powerbook, I saw this:

"Amazon.com Returns Policies: You may return any new computer purchased from Amazon.com that is "dead on arrival," arrives in damaged condition, or is still in unopened boxes, for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product. Any returned computer that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering will result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product. Amazon.com will not accept returns of any desktop or notebook computer more than 30 days after you receive the shipment. New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor."

This doesn't seem as clear-cut as I remember their policy to be. It's quite ambiguous, isn't it? Don't know what to think. I've never had any problem returning smaller things and have never had to return a computer. Any experience returning computers?

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 08:15 PM

I just found this, which says that a computer doesn't have to be DOA to qualify for a refund. I guess it's ok....

Returning Computers
Computers purchased from Amazon.com can be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt of shipment via our online Returns Center. Please choose a trackable shipping method. These items must be in new condition with original packaging and accessories.

If a computer is defective or damaged during shipping, we can provide either a replacement or a refund. To expedite processing of your replacement or refund request, please contact Customer Service to arrange for the return of the computer.

Amazon.com cannot accept returns of items purchased from Amazon Merchants. Items that are picked up at a store or shipped directly by the merchant must be returned to the merchant according to their return guidelines. Read more about ordering from Amazon merchants.

If you're returning a computer purchased from Amazon Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops, please contact the seller directly.

Computer Return Policy

If a computer arrived in working condition but you are unsatisfied with its performance, you will be responsible for the shipping and handling charges associated with the return.
Amazon.com reserves the right to test 'dead on arrival' returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.
Any returned computer that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering will result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product.
Amazon.com will not accept returns of any desktop or notebook computer more than 30 days after you receive the shipment.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2005, 08:33 PM

Looks like they have smartened up. More of a reason for me to grab my next one from the local Apple store. However, you do save a lot on taxes by using Amazon.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Forum Links
Forum Rules