Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff, cameraman hit by an IED and seriously injured in Iraq

ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff, cameraman hit by an IED and seriously injured in Iraq
f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 09:46 AM

By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

NEW YORK - ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff and a cameraman were seriously injured Sunday in an explosion while reporting from Iraq, the network said Sunday.

Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were hit by an improvised explosive device near Taji, Iraq, and were in serious condition at a U.S. military hospital, ABC News President David Westin said.

The two were embedded with the 4th Infantry Division and traveling with an Iraqi Army unit.

The U.S. military headquarters in Baghdad confirmed that the ABC News team was involved in an attack but declined to provide further details to The Associated Press. An official military statement was expected to be issued later Sunday.

Woodruff was named co-anchor of ABC News' "World News Tonight" with Elizabeth Vargas this month after the death of Peter Jennings. In an unusual approach to evening news shows, one of the two co-anchors typically reports from the studio in New York while the other reports from the field, as Woodruff was doing in Iraq.

Woodruff grew up in Michigan and became a corporate lawyer in New York. He took a leave of absence to teach at a school in China, helped CBS News during the Tiananmen Square uprising and became hooked on journalism.

"When I realized there was a job that existed in this world where I could be in the middle of huge world events and actually get paid for it, it was an epiphany for me," he told The Associated Press in a recent interview.

He has covered the Justice Department and reported from Iraq, Afghanistan, Belgrade and Kosovo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060129/.../woodruff_iraq

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2006, 11:43 AM

I hope they both recover and are able to rejoin their families soon.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2006, 02:15 PM

I just saw that on CNN. I hope they'll both be ok.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 02:20 PM

My prayers are with them.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 02:41 PM

Geez, that's terrible. I guess it's a risk they are willing to take though. Any word on injuries to the troops the press were with?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 05:09 PM

Once again the Leftist Media Cabal focusing on the negative.

How about a nice report about how many journalists/cameramen didn't get blown up today?? Or this week??

Why do they hate America?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
Once again the Leftist Media Cabal focusing on the negative.

How about a nice report about how many journalists/cameramen didn't get blown up today?? Or this week??

Why do they hate America?
Damn the Main Stream Media and their relentless focus on negatvity in Iraq.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 05:09 AM

I just love how CNN reports things. The news story is making Canadian news too as the Camera man is a Canadian, and the reports of the injuries are much more detailed.

CNN

ABC News Producer Kate Felsen said she spoke with both men. "Doug was conscious and I was able to reassure him that I was getting them care," she said. "I spoke to Bob, also."
CBC

CBC cameraman Brian Kelly, who is friends with Vogt and his wife, spoke with her after the men underwent surgery. He said she was initially elated by reports that her husband was in good condition and talking after surgery.

But she later spoke directly with the doctor, whose report wasn't as optimistic, said Kelly, who heard about the update through a mutual friend.

"He told her that while he was able to remove some of the metal from Doug's brain, there are still two pieces of metal there and his condition is still serious," Kelly told CBC News.

"I don't think he was talking after the operation and he's certainly not 'fine.' I think someone was just trying to reassure her."
From the news report on TV before work tonight it sounded like both of them had serious brain damage.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 07:57 AM

Yes, war sucks.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 30, 2006, 07:57 AM

Athens if he was Canadian, you'd think they would be able to get more info no? Of course.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Athens if he was Canadian, you'd think they would be able to get more info no? Of course.
Um, I think his point was that as usual CNN reports things before they know 100% of the facts, where as CBC favors accuracy before LIVE ON THE SCENE WITH WOLf BLIZTER IN THE SITUATION ROOM TALKING ABOUT THINGS WITH 50 EXPERTS WHO MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON.

Something like that.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 30, 2006, 08:14 AM

Oh yeah, I agree, some people rush to get the story out "first" instead of "most correct"

It's the whole "deadline" mentality brainwashing.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Um, I think his point was that as usual CNN reports things before they know 100% of the facts, where as CBC favors accuracy before LIVE ON THE SCENE WITH WOLf BLIZTER IN THE SITUATION ROOM TALKING ABOUT THINGS WITH 50 EXPERTS WHO MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON.

Something like that.
Well CBC had a leg up, reporters that knew the family. But CNN made it sound like everything is totally fine. Both guys suffered bad injuries to the brain. Thats not fine in my opinion.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules