Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Paradigm shift: Could the iPhone serve as a MacBook Pro Lite?

Paradigm shift: Could the iPhone serve as a MacBook Pro Lite?
f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

Several threads have been written concerning a possible MacBook Pro Lite. Now Apple comes out with an iPod/iPhone/PDA/tablet that runs OS X. In many ways, the iPhone is more than what I need for a business travel computer. Does anyone else think that Apple has introduced a paradigm shift with respect to laptops?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 11:58 PM

Between the less-than-VGA resolution screen and the crippled apps (ignore what Jobs says about "full desktop-class applications", it can't even download from iTMS!) I don't see the iPhone serving as a business travel computer anytime soon. It can't even open Office files. It's a portable web/IM/email box, just like every other smartphone out there; it also plays music, but a few smartphones do that too.

p.s. Am I the only one annoyed with Jobs saying the iPhone "runs OSX"? It's obviously not running anything close to the version that runs on every other Mac. You're not going to be able to launch an arbitrary OSX app on the phone. Sure, other smartphones "run Windows", but it's Mobile not Vista.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 AM

Many programmers/software companies will mostly likely have to modify their program's windows and user interface to make it fit into the screen size of the iPhone. Take note that many programs (especially games) will state a minimum resolution such as 1024x768 or 640x480 as minimum system requirements to run their programs.

The iPhone looks like a serious contender against Microsoft's "Origami" which has so far failed to light up the world (kinda like the Zune). I see the Origami computers marketed as UMPC (Ultra Mobile Personal Computers or some such thing like that). So far, it hasn't really gained any traction yet.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2007, 07:34 PM

As much as I give Apple kudos, the ApplePhone may still be limited. Fror example:

You're on the iMDB and want to watch a FlashMedia promo/movie preview--would you be able to rapidly download the plug-in, install it and watch that media?

Next, what about OS/X updates themselves?
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 08:40 PM

well, upon further review, it appears that MacOS X on the iPhone is closed to 3rd party developers.

It's too bad. I was envisioning being able to download applications to the iPhone from 3rd party developers like the PalmOS is able to.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 08:41 PM

Where has Apple said third party development will be prohibited? In any case, as far as Apple positioning the iPhone as a laptop replacement, I'm not sure if that's the direction Apple is heading. Laptops still serve their purpose, and no matter how good an iPhone is its form factor will make it a poor replacement for those who rely on laptops. When I need to conduct business, I need a laptop for its large screen, its processing capabilities, its flexibility and its connectivity. I think the iPhone looks great, but it's not being marketed as a laptop replacement. The iPhone is being marketed as an MP3/phone/PDA replacement, and in that role it is perfectly suited.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 16, 2007 at 08:49 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 17, 2007, 03:19 AM

Apple didn't say thid party development is prohibited but it's certainly not being encouraged just yet...

Wah! I can’t install an app on iPhone and why I don’t care at The Apple Blog

O'Grady's PowerPage - Your Mobile Technology Destination

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Several threads have been written concerning a possible MacBook Pro Lite. Now Apple comes out with an iPod/iPhone/PDA/tablet that runs OS X. In many ways, the iPhone is more than what I need for a business travel computer. Does anyone else think that Apple has introduced a paradigm shift with respect to laptops?
no..........
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules