Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Welcome to Indiana, home of the $1,000............

Welcome to Indiana, home of the $1,000............ (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Police rarely stop someone for going 1 mph over the limit. You know damn well what is going on here - people are barreling through the work zone at 75 or higher.
Yeah most don't stop unless you are going over 5. I have heard MANY cops in MY states claim the 5mph rule. They said it's not even worth the bother if it's not over 5.

Unless of course it's a 15mph school zone.

Here were I live people are just plain stupid/don't pay attention in the mornings. They had problems with speeders there in front of the school on the main road. People going 45+ in the short 15mph zone. So the local gov put up bright flashing lights. One each way warning people. THis also did not work.

So they had a cop stand in the MIDDLE of the road in the turning lane WITH HIS LIGHTS ON fully visible a mile away. And people STILL speed through there!

I dont' know HOW many times I've came through there and I have seen someone going 35 or higher through there. *shakes head*

I have no problem with this in school zones. This isn't the city's gov trying to rake the people over the rails.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 09:54 AM

Well christ, you'd think they might pull over a few people for speeding in the school zone.

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:08 AM

You'd think people would see the flashing sign and a cop car with flashing lights too. But they go past em speeding all morning long.

I dated a gal that worked in a gas station in the morning once. She said some people would even ask which store they were at in the mornings.

People driving while they are still asleep.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You'd think people would see the flashing sign and a cop car with flashing lights too.
Yes, and after they ignore that, you'd think they might pull over a few people for speeding in the school zone.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2007, 10:30 AM

Police rarely stop someone for going 1 mph over the limit.
Because there isn't normally a fine in most places (at least as far as I know). Fines generally start at >5 mph over. Don't imagine the cops are just being nice.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:32 AM

I remember a long time ago seeing a stat on tv stating "98% of people who receive speeding tickets go 10 mph over the limit."

...and I thought to myself, "98% of the time, cops don't bother pulling someone over unless they are going 10 mph over the limit."

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
speeding ticket! Apparently, they've decided to do something about morons who speed through construction zones. Good for them!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/27/w...cket-and-that/
Actually, not good. Speeding DOES NOT KILL. When Montana had no speed limits for a while, deaths on the highway dropped to an ALL TIME LOW, because people were hauling ass, yet paying attention to what they were doing. When the speed limit was reinstated, the highway deaths rose to an all time high, because people were going 55-65 again, being bored, and not paying attention. SPEED DOESN"T KILL. Stupid assholes driving SUVs who don't signal, don't check blindspots, and yap on their cellphones DO. Inattentive driving does.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:44 AM

Is there a reason your stars have gone BPR?

Railroader
Banned
May 30, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I live up on I-69, and can honestly say the worst offenders are the cars with Michigan plates. It's like the minute they cross the border, they hit the afterburners. They will roll right up on your bumper and stay there until you can get over to let them pass...or they will pass on the right, even if you are doing over the speed limit yourself.
That's because you are in the passing lane. If you aren't passing, get in the right lane.

If I see a car in the distance here in Michigan, that's in the left lane all by itself, with no cars for miles, I can be certain without a shadow of a doubt that it has Indiana plates. That's in the west side of the state. On the East side it is either Ohio plates or Ontario plates.

Do you guys have to go to driving school or pass any kind of test to get your licenses?

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I remember a long time ago seeing a stat on tv stating "98% of people who receive speeding tickets go 10 mph over the limit."

...and I thought to myself, "98% of the time, cops don't bother pulling someone over unless they are going 10 mph over the limit."
My whole life I've driven 10 over. Cops never both giving you a ticket for 10 over, because the fine is so small. Tickets are merely a way to create revenue, not to make the roads safer, so tehy wait for more juicy speeders to head their way. I've gotten tickets for going 17 over, when everyone else was going 15 over, and I didn't know what the speed limit was, I've gotten tickets for going 16 over while passing a truck on a 2 lane highway that had been flinging rocks at my car for 10 minutes without a passing lane, I've gotten a ticket for going 14 over after getting lost for 45 minutes in some helliish construction area and trying to make up time, I've gotten an 18 over ticket in ROSENDALE, WI. Watch out for that one. They have a wicked speed trap setup when you're going out of town. It's 25 in town (duh), then you leave town, and there are no more houses around, and you don't see any speed limit signs. You speed up thinking that it's 55, and then BOOM you get pulled over. When I got nailed they pulled me over for going 44 in a 25, 10 ft in front of the 55mph sign. What a ****ing joke. They even sell T-Shirts that say "I got caught at the Rosendale Speed Trap".

I hate cops that merely make money for the state. I like the ones that actually want to make the world safer.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's because you are in the passing lane. If you aren't passing, get in the right lane.
Here in PA, you're allowed to pass on either side.

But all the smart people get into the left lane when they're not passing anyway.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

If I see a car in the distance here in Michigan, that's in the left lane all by itself, with no cars for miles, I can be certain without a shadow of a doubt that it has Indiana plates. That's in the west side of the state. On the East side it is either Ohio plates or Ontario plates.

Do you guys have to go to driving school or pass any kind of test to get your licenses?
RAILROADER..... ... dude, this post of yours has made me forgive all past grievances with you. You are a ****ing brilliant man. What you said is TRUTH, more true than the bible, more true than state law, you are speaking something universal here, that applies to everybody.

THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING. I used to have a sign in my car that I made that said "If I'm passing you on this side, you're in the wrong lane" and I held it up to people driving in the passing lane. It was great. I used it for over 3 years, but then my dog puked on it when she was a puppy.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
YSo they had a cop stand in the MIDDLE of the road in the turning lane WITH HIS LIGHTS ON fully visible a mile away. And people STILL speed through there!
If he had his lights OFF, people would have slowed down. When they're on, the cop is busy, so feel free speed right on by.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 10:56 AM

The left lane is for passing, but if nobody's around, I routinely drive in the left lane. Why? Because on rural two-lane highways (like I-65 in southern Indiana), semis and other trucks always drive in the right lane. If you look, the right lane nearly always more torn up than the left lane. There are areas on I-65 where the right lane is barely drivable because of all the pavement damage (and multiple repair jobs) from heavy truck usage. If I see someone coming up in my mirror, I will get over into the right lane (if I can, obviously). What I hate is people who fly up behind you doing 100mph and don't give you a chance to even see them before they're whipping around you in the right lane. That's deliberate aggressive driving.

The left lane is for passing. If you aren't passing and there are cars obviously waiting for you to get over, get over. But if the right lane is end-to-end semis, I *really* don't feel an obligation to merge over unless someone behind me is really, really, really, really intent on going faster than me. Fortunately, when traffic heavy in the right lane, it's usually heavy in the left lane, too, so it's not really an issue.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Actually, not good. Speeding DOES NOT KILL. When Montana had no speed limits for a while, deaths on the highway dropped to an ALL TIME LOW, because people were hauling ass, yet paying attention to what they were doing. When the speed limit was reinstated, the highway deaths rose to an all time high, because people were going 55-65 again, being bored, and not paying attention. SPEED DOESN"T KILL.
You had me until
Stupid assholes driving SUVs who don't signal, don't check blindspots, and yap on their cellphones DO. Inattentive driving does.
*sigh*

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 12:52 PM

If he had his lights OFF, people would have slowed down. When they're on, the cop is busy, so feel free speed right on by.
In this situation it's clear the cop has no one pulled over.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Because there isn't normally a fine in most places (at least as far as I know). Fines generally start at >5 mph over. Don't imagine the cops are just being nice.
I didn't say it was because the cops are being nice, I just said that you rarely get picked up for going 1 over. Chuckit is trying to make the people who speed through work zones look nice and reasonable. In reality, I hate going through work zones and trying to obey the speed limit. The jerks behind you drive as aggressively as they can in an attempt to get you to speed, and because they'll be riding your bumper maybe one inch behind, you know that if a construction worker shows up and you do have to slow down even more to avoid hitting them, the guys behind you will hit you right in the ass. It's a nerve-wracking experience, and I'm always relieved when I get through the work zone at the other end. If these people, who have absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves and their own selfish impatience, get slapped with large fines for speeding and especially for driving aggressively and trying to get everyone else to speed as well, then I certainly won't be shedding any tears for them.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 01:58 PM

I've never heard of people gettin a ticket in a work zone for under 10 over. Seems to me the use it for the completely reckless people who go through them at 20+ over.

That said, I think the law is bullshit, because the majority of the time 'work zones' are just a bunch of construction barrels without any workers around. I think it should ONLY apply IF there are people actually working on the road, otherwise it should be treated as a normal road.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 02:09 PM

So what happens if some guy thinks there are no construction workers around, but it turns out he just didn't see them? And then he barrels through at 75 and kills one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 02:11 PM

I hate driving through empty interstate construction zones at night. I have no idea what the rules governing that are.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 03:35 PM

So what happens if some guy thinks there are no construction workers around, but it turns out he just didn't see them? And then he barrels through at 75 and kills one.
Then he obviously gets in trouble, doesn't he? It shouldn't be "Gee nobody is around so I'll speed up" it should be "Sir, you were pulled over in a work zone. Lucky for you, nobody is working, so your fine is not doubled".

Right now, I think the workzone fines are less about construction worker safety and more about increasing revenue. I've seen plenty of cops sit with their radar on at night in totally empty construction zones, and you can bet your ass they're going to double the fines.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 11:19 PM

Then he obviously gets in trouble, doesn't he?
Small comfort to the family of the worker who was killed.

DrMischievious
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 11:24 PM

Small comfort to the family of the worker who was killed.
How is it different from any other law on the planet? Right now the law is just stupid, because 90% of the time the construction zones have no construction workers. Also, they have barrels up about 3 miles before the actual construction area.

Forum Links
Forum Rules