Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro Hard drive making funky sound...

Macbook Pro Hard drive making funky sound...
solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 11:36 PM

is this happening to anyone else?

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 05:49 AM

couple thoughts

#1. back up everything immediately. Do not pass go or collect $200 or $400 or whatever it is these days.
#2. Install/Run SmartREPORTER (free), assuming it runs on your machine. SMARTReporter

W

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
couple thoughts

#1. back up everything immediately. Do not pass go or collect $200 or $400 or whatever it is these days.
#2. Install/Run SmartREPORTER (free), assuming it runs on your machine. SMARTReporter

W
thank you. will do.
i am confused as this is the second laptop that is doing this in under a year.

steve_s71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 08:46 PM

Did you ever figure this out.

I have a new 2.2 15.4" MBP, and I've noticed that if I'm in a very quite room i hear some soft clicking noises coming the hard drive. I think this is normal, something to do with energy saver or something. Is this what you are talking about or is it loud clicking. My old powerbook made sort of a loud crunching sound before the hard drive failed, couldn't reboot after that.

Steve

edge.it
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 09:08 PM

if its a highpitched clicking kinda noise that happend to me 3x. apple replaced my machine with the new core2duo, i win the game!

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2007, 09:10 PM

Define "soft clicking noises." Do they occur in concert with expected disk activity? Do they happen at certain times-or when you don't expect disk activity?

A backup is a Good ThingĀ® no matter what, but maybe you're just hearing sounds that have been there all along and are benign, but you haven't noticed them because of background sounds.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 09:29 PM

The thing is, some kinds of clicking or chirping is totally normal. But other unusual clicks can mean your time is ticking FAST.

W

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:12 PM

thanks for all of the thoughts on this matter.
this issue was a matter of 2 - 3 different issues.
first one is that my computer had been acting funky for a while.
random shut downs, it would wake up in my bag and run till scorching hot.
odd stuff like that. it eventually got to the point where i did a format reload and added no haxies.
i took 2 images. one with all of my software installed running good, and another with all of my personal info in the right places running and such.
since then no speed or OS related issues other than noises.
I am since trying to say no to haxies. but it is tough cause hey make the OS look so pretty.
also there was a clicking noise that began to happen prior to me doing the format reload that i though would be fixed by it. no such luck. it came right back.
i have also done another format reload to put leopard on and the noise is still there.
it was soon accompanied by a new noise today. this new noise i can only describe as a fan making a scrapping noise,
long story short it sounds like the fan is making a small grinding noise and the fan is making a super loud scrapping noise.
i have a good relationship with my local store and sent them a couple emails describing the issues. "this upcoming is not normal procedure" i told them what i thought was wrong and they ordered me the 2 fans that are in the case and a new hard drive for overnight delivery. i hope to have them install my new stuff while i pick up my new Airport Xtreme and other items.
this will hopefully be resolved by the end of the week. my suggestion is to make friends with the local store and make sure the store manager knows who you are in a good way because they can be your best friend.
if you are hearing sound from your notebook, try and listen to a similar model in a quiet area because they should be near silent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules