Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I systematically remove the battery when running on AC Power?

Should I systematically remove the battery when running on AC Power?
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 05:38 AM

With my former laptop (not a Mac) I would always remove the battery when running on AC Power. I did not want to use the battery.

With my MacBook pro I got this transparent, rigid plastic case that you clip at the top and at the bottom so as to protect the baby from scratches. The problem is that there is no way you need to unclip the case each time you want to remove the battery.

But do you actually NEED to remove the battery. I mean I really don't want to destroy it and no one seems to be able to give me a clear answer.

Some say that it does not really matter but that I should avoid to switch too often between running on battery and running on AC Power, that i should not stay 15 minutes on AC power, then unplugging it and using the battery to re plug the engine 15 minutes later....

So what about you?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2007, 06:09 AM

I don't remove the battery for the simple reason that doing so drops the CPU clock by 50%.

I often work on AC power. I try to cycle my battery from time to time. That way my batteries remain fine for about 18 months. After that if capacity reduced dramatically I buy a new battery.

This is what Apple says about notebook batteries.

Here are some instructions on how to properly calibrate your battery (this will run the battery through a full cycle).

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 06:18 AM

Thanks for thenlinks I'm going to check them out. I appreciate
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2007, 11:19 AM

Your MBP is a VERY smart device. It will NOT overcharge the battery. You can leave the battery installed forever and will not have any problems because of that. Current technology batteries DO require some use though, so even if this MBP is used as a desktop computer, you should unplug the power adapter and run down the battery now and then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 11:28 AM

ditto ghporter, I have friend who insisted on removing his battery. After a year, the battery latch and contacts were so worn and distorted that the battery would no longer charge. So for all his efforts to save his battery, he now has a laptop that can only be plugged in!

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 01:21 AM

Well I go back to the Radio Shack Model 100 and I have used every imaginable laptop since and I have never heard of someone taking the battery out. Just seems weird - sort of like vinyl on the couch for 25 years?

planetfiber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 01:13 AM

I have heard some stuff like this before, but never took it seriously. besides, I thought the purpose of using macs was to make life easier.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 01:19 PM

Well for the two coming months I'll basically work at home. S i guess I'll simply remove the battery and run on AC Power and try to run a full battery cycle twice a month.
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 6, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
Well for the two coming months I'll basically work at home. S i guess I'll simply remove the battery and run on AC Power and try to run a full battery cycle twice a month.
The Intel powered laptops run at significantly reduced speed when the battery is removed:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2007, 02:07 PM

As an owner of numerous Mac laptops over the years let me categorically say that taking the battery out when using AC power is completely insane.

In fact, aside from the fact that I just ordered a MBP yesterday (congratulate me, everyone), I'm still using my Powerbook 667 Tibook from 2001 with the original battery, which I use daily both with power and battery.

W

OreoCookie
Jul 6, 2007, 03:30 PM

Neither on a modern PC nor Mac laptop, it is even advisable to remove the battery! Just leave it where it is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 04:15 PM

If you have a power drop or surge you will lose data..... The battery will kick in in case of power failure! If you are writing to drive when power fails... you can spew data all over your harddrive requiring reformating!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2007, 07:11 PM

My wife's iBook is basically on her desk all the time, and the battery stays put. It is 3 1/2 years old and not having a single problem.

Why in the world would you take it out? It acts as a UPS in a power failure, it is NOT IN ANY WAY harmed by being in the computer when not in use, and installing and removing it over and over will wear out the latch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghettochild
Jul 8, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
The Intel powered laptops run at significantly reduced speed when the battery is removed:
MacBook and MacBook Pro: Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A/C adaptor
Anybody knows if this also applies to PowerBooks?
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 08:56 PM

On a PPC laptop the processor speed will not be reduced like the Intel chipped Macs.

ibook_steve
Jul 9, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
On a PPC laptop the processor speed will not be reduced like the Intel chipped Macs.
Not true. Most, if not all of the aluminum Powerbooks operated in a reduced speed mode when no battery was installed.

Steve

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 04:05 AM

Yeah, it's been like that for ages. Doesn't matter if it's PPC or Intel. Unless you don't care about performance at all, there is just no good reason to remove your battery while using your portable Mac.

In the very worst case you'll be buying a $129 battery after ~24 months. So that's an additional ~5% of the cost of the MBP that you'll pay once (or twice max) during the product's life time. In my book that doesn't come close to justifying the additional hassle or the risk of losing your work.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2007, 06:57 AM

Well actually I called the support team of Apple to get a sort of official answer and this guy told me that leaving the battery inside the Macbok pro would overcharge it and over heat it. I am not telling that the guy was right but admit it: this is confusing!

So I had planned to remove the battery and fully use it and recharge it twice a month, now I guess I am going to put the battery in and remove the power adaptor twice a month so as to run a few battery cycles.

i did read about the loss of speed , thanks for the link. I guess it'd be a lt more safe if I had bought the Apple Care, just in case something bad happens. Well i still have 50 weeks to get it .

Oh and guess who accidently stumbled over the power adaptor yesterday ????
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 07:09 AM

Well actually I called the support team of Apple to get a sort of official answer and this guy told me that leaving the battery inside the Macbok pro would overcharge it and over heat it. I am not telling that the guy was right but admit it: this is confusing!

So I had planned to remove the battery and fully use it and recharge it twice a month, now I guess I am going to put the battery in and remove the power adaptor twice a month so as to run a few battery cycles.

i did read about the loss of speed , thanks for the link. I guess it'd be a lt more safe if I had bought the Apple Care, just in case something bad happens. Well i still have 50 weeks to get it .

Oh and guess who accidently stumbled over the power adaptor yesterday ????
Whoever told you it would overheat the battery is absolutely wrong. It has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I run plugged in and it works fine, you have the right idea by running a few battery charge cycles a month. Apple care is also great, it's worth getting. Oh and I have stepped on the cord of my macbook pro a bunch of times already (not quite used to having a laptop), I'm very thankful that it's magsafe.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 07:37 AM

I really have to chime in again to agree once more-- anyone who tells you to take the battery out is f'n nuts. Don't do it, okay? Just leave the battery alone. I'm serious. Stop it. Stop thinking about it.

It's like asking "should I unplug my phone from the wall when I'm not using it? I hear this will save some power and reduce wear and tear on my ringer if someone should call when I'm not home. Not to mention the heat generated could overwhelm and possibly short-circuit my air conditioner."

I don't know what whack job you talked to at apple support who would say you're overcharging your battery by leaving it in. Everyone here is saying not to do it. So, seriously...just stop it.

W

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2007, 08:15 AM

Well thanks everyone for this answer I do appreciate, the battery will stay in the laptop for sure.
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

ghettochild
Jul 11, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Not true. Most, if not all of the aluminum Powerbooks operated in a reduced speed mode when no battery was installed.

Steve
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, it's been like that for ages. Doesn't matter if it's PPC or Intel. Unless you don't care about performance at all, there is just no good reason to remove your battery while using your portable Mac.

In the very worst case you'll be buying a $129 battery after ~24 months. So that's an additional ~5% of the cost of the MBP that you'll pay once (or twice max) during the product's life time. In my book that doesn't come close to justifying the additional hassle or the risk of losing your work.
Where do you guys have the info from? No offense, but it sounds like a blanket statement.

Thanks.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 02:46 AM

Maybe from the fact that I own several G4 PBs and MB(P)s and have seen for myself that they drop their clock when I remove the battery.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 11, 2007 at 03:09 AM. )

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
Where do you guys have the info from? No offense, but it sounds like a blanket statement.

Thanks.
They own the laptops, it isn't really too hard to check it out.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 09:46 AM

What utility are you guys using to measure the processor speed?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 09:59 AM

Um, unless I'm missing something, it's an option in the Energy Saver Preferences to reduce performance when taking out the battery. YOU CAN SET IT TO "HIGHEST" CPU USAGE. To say that your computer performs worse when on battery than on AC power is just wrong.

ibook_steve
Jul 11, 2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks.
I worked on the electrical design of the 12" Powerbook G4 when I worked at Apple.

Steve

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 01:17 PM

I worked on the electrical design of the 12" Powerbook G4 when I worked at Apple.
Steve
I wish people wouldn't let facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Seriously, though, how would I know what the clock speed of my G4 PowerBook was, if I took the battery out?

ghettochild
Jul 11, 2007, 05:38 PM

Well, it's just that I've done some research and I haven't found anything. A post on a forum is not necessarily authoritative- sorry. There is nothing on Apple Support regarding PPC processors losing power when the battery is popped out.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

ibook_steve
Jul 11, 2007, 05:54 PM

Well, it's just that I've done some research and I haven't found anything. A post on a forum is not necessarily authoritative- sorry. There is nothing on Apple Support regarding PPC processors losing power when the battery is popped out.
So this (MacBook and MacBook Pro: Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A/C adaptor) and my work on the PPC design itself isn't enough to convince you?

Steve

ghettochild
Jul 11, 2007, 06:03 PM

Well, I knew about the article. However, I have a PowerBook- and that is not mentioned in the article. I have never heard of this before reading this thread and I couldn't find any information on the web.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 06:09 PM

Edit: Nevermind, I apologize. I thought people were saying processor performance was always reduced when running only on battery power, not only on AC.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 12:08 AM

Slightly on-topic. I decided to do a battery calibration cycle this afternoon. I let it run all the way down to safety sleep, battery 0% and everything. Let it sit, then plugged it back in. Man, having it reload exactly where you were from the HD back into memory is so cool. I never saw it in action until just now.

The blue tinted blurred out screen showing the "frozen" state while it "thaws" it was neat. Nice to know if I am ever in that situation that my stuff will indeed be safe. Security is a good thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules