Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Team Stats Down?

Team Stats Down?
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2007, 08:42 AM

Is the Team Stats web site down? I keep getting timeouts when trying to access it.

beadman

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 10:42 AM

Yah, it has been that way since the weekend. I had hoped it would be fixed by now.

jimm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 10:29 AM

I miss the stats too. Can we at least get an update on the situation from someone "in the know" about this?

jimm

reader50
Administrator
Jun 23, 2007, 07:39 PM

It looks like someone pulled the plug on the servers, or reconfigured the local router. I can't reach the webserver, or the database server. Losing both at the same time suggests human intervention.

I've let Scott know about it, on-site problems are his department.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks Reader50!

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 10:45 AM

Stats still seem to be down; the quick stats quote June 15th as the last update!!
--
Gorbag ("Beren" in Boinc)

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2007, 01:59 AM

Scott can't reach the servers, they are in another state from where he lives now. Also, he doesn't trust the people on-site to be able to fix the problem. The problem is almost certainly that the people on-site messed around with the local firewall settings. Trying to coach them through fixing it over the phone amounts to giving the fox detailed instructions on how to fix the henhouse door. They're not qualified, or they wouldn't have messed things up in the first place.

I'm trying to talk Scott into getting the locals to box up the servers and send them to me. This also runs into the problem of trusting the locals not to mess it up. The servers' current location is ideal, free & fast internet service. Free electricity, and free A/C to keep them nice and cool. It's a family arrangement, but Scott is the only nerd in the family who can do server & network maintenance.

Scott's current location isn't workable for the servers, his ISP blocks incoming port 80, which means no web servers allowed. My place is better, no ports blocked and servers allowed. I can handle the electricity, and keep them reasonably cool.

Alternatively, we could pick up a new quad-core server, move the RAID card & drives over, and end up with a more efficient single box. It would be quite a bit faster too. But we'd still need to reach the drives & RAID card from the old servers (preferably one of the cases too), and neither of us has the spending money budgeted this month.

We're talking it over, kicking ideas around. I'd hoped to have something worked out before posting an update here. It's all still up in the air right now. The irritating part is that the servers are probably still working perfectly, and keeping up to date. They just can't be reached from outside the LAN anymore.

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the update, Reader50. I remember seeing someing over on the SETI forums about some recent changes in their servers were causing people to not be able to connect - something about IP addresses, I think - is it possible a reboot of the server would help, or has Scott already tried that?

beadman

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2007, 01:02 PM

This is unrelated to issues with SETI. As near as we can tell, our servers haven't been touched. Someone messed with the router's firewall in the building the servers are in. Until that's fixed, or until the servers are moved elsewhere, they can't be reached from the internet side.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 12:03 AM

Thanks Reader for the updates. Guess it will be a little while before this can be fixed.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 03:18 PM

Scott did call and leave a message. They haven't called back. If anyone else finds this suspicious, raise your hand.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 19, 2007, 01:10 PM

Finally, the thread loaded. Minor update, which I've been trying to post for a couple days.

Scott's relatives are still not returning phone calls from the office where the servers are located. That's the bad news.

The good news is that my location just began showing faster DSL options as available, and I put in an upgrade order the first day they became available. So it looks like my location will be far more suitable for hosting, once we can get the servers shipped here.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the update reader50. These stats offered options in a nicer way than some of the others out there. It will be nice to see it up again.

Thanks again for the update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules