Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube owners, our OWN picture thread!

Cube owners, our OWN picture thread! (Page 2)
<cjrivera>
Jan 2, 2002, 02:20 AM

[img]homepage.mac.com/chrisrivera/.Pictures/MacNN/Cube4.jpg[/img]

[img]homepage.mac.com/chrisrivera/.Pictures/MacNN/Cube5.jpg[/img]

[img]homepage.mac.com/chrisrivera/.Pictures/MacNN/Cube6.jpg[/img]

CJRiveraMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 02:30 AM

Administrators, please delete my post right above this one... I didn't get the links right...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: CJRiveraMD ]

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2002, 02:43 AM

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 11:23 AM

I LOVE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!!!!

Dude, where'd you get that background? it rocks!
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2002, 01:06 PM

CJRiveraMD: very stylish, with the iPod and the glass shelf!

Maybe I have to get an iPod as well, after all. Just for the looks

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 06:39 PM

Does anyone know where to get cool glass desks like CJs?

CJRiveraMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 10:44 PM

The collection line was called "Metro", I think. I wish I had manuals or the reciept or something that says who made it, but it didn't come with any. Living.com was where I ordered it from, but they since went out of business. They also made this cool looking curved bookshelf that I also have (I also have a printer cart and regular desk). The quality is pretty good. Nothing outstanding. The legs have wheels on them. That's about all I can tell you. There are no labels/trademarks on the furniture themselves.

Hope that helps....

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 11:29 PM

www.studiorta.com www.officedepot.com

They have a few sets of nifty (and beautiful) desks just like that, though I like that lighting feature, this one's a bit bigger, and in ways a bit more stylish

It's called the Executive Glass Desk, but that's about it, you do have to assemble it, but like all tubular frames, it's a snap

The beauty of this desk is there are two legs, which are curved in a way to give support, you will see

I do like that desk's shelf however

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>

&lt;ass-kissing snipped&gt; You europeans know how to make great setups.

ALL OF YOU GUYS HAVE EXCELLENT POSTS!

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: oscar ]</STRONG>

aw, gee....GROUP HUG!

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2002, 10:47 AM

My mess of a set-up

mcCoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 01:59 PM

okey, here's mine: we can see a 450nhz-cube, a second cube with a sonnet dual-g4-500mhz in it, a cinema-display, a studio-display, osx and osx server cds, zyxel adsl-router, 3com hub, sony vaio pcg-sr11k, a spare g4-450mhz cpu-card, roland ua-3, vst cd-burner, nokia 8210, palm m500, subwoofer from soundsticks, dvd in lacie-case, lacie 16x-burner, 80gb hd in lacie-case, 30gb pocket-drive, 18gb pocket-drive, another 80gb hd in a clear-case, maxtor firewire-hd, imac dv tangerine, subwoofer from bose acoustimas and a windows-pc.
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/mccoy/desk1.jpg http://mypage.bluewin.ch/mccoy/desk2.jpg

<cjrivera>
Jan 5, 2002, 02:05 PM

Hey McCoy...

How is that dual G4 Cube working for you?
Was it a difficult upgrade?
How hot does it run?
And... how much faster is it compared to the original?

mcCoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by &lt;cjrivera&gt;:
<STRONG>Hey McCoy...

How is that dual G4 Cube working for you?
Was it a difficult upgrade?
How hot does it run?
And... how much faster is it compared to the original?</STRONG>
osx is much faster, it loves dual-processing, so do i. the downside is that i had to install a fan in my cube because it got really hot... taking a cube apart is not for everybody, it's not like adding ram or a hdd, you have to disassemble the machine completely.

sMACk
Jan 5, 2002, 04:02 PM

LOL. I was just going to comment on the difference of the neatness between Cube owners and tower owners...until I saw SteveTech's set up Well, maybe I can modify that by saying that cube owners have a better sense of humor than the tower owners, I got a kick out of your bills and more bills

I also have to ask, what's the point of buying a cube if you put it under the table?

tobster
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by mcCoy:
<STRONG>okey, here's mine: we can see a 450nhz-cube, a second cube with a sonnet dual-g4-500mhz in it, a cinema-display, a studio-display, osx and osx server cds, zyxel adsl-router, 3com hub, sony vaio pcg-sr11k, a spare g4-450mhz cpu-card, roland ua-3, vst cd-burner, nokia 8210, palm m500, subwoofer from soundsticks, dvd in lacie-case, lacie 16x-burner, 80gb hd in lacie-case, 30gb pocket-drive, 18gb pocket-drive, another 80gb hd in a clear-case, maxtor firewire-hd, imac dv tangerine, subwoofer from bose acoustimas and a windows-pc.
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/mccoy/desk1.jpg http://mypage.bluewin.ch/mccoy/desk2.jpg</STRONG>
It really is a shame to see those goddamned beautiful Cubes and apple LCDs as well as the soundsticks around all that mess... Make the left desk Cube only and not a sign of trash on it... tidy up the cables ... compare the two for us in pics

- tobs

jfdonahue
Jan 7, 2002, 05:42 PM

2far,

Where did you get that cool looking lamp hanging over your cinema display? That looks awesome.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 11:23 PM

I have a sense of humor

I'm a tower owner too

DANGIT!!! Now I see someone with another setup.. why all the G4 cubes? yeesh

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by jfdonahue:
<STRONG>2far,
Where did you get that cool looking lamp hanging over your cinema display? That looks awesome.</STRONG>
That's a Lifto by Belux, a swiss lamp manufacturer. You have no idea how long I've been looking for a design like this: simple, practical, timeless (and sleek).

Two brightnesses, easily adjustable (with pneumatic arm). I am delighted. (For Altavista translation try this.

2far

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 10, 2002, 09:54 PM

BTW: 2far, they make an extension to ADC cables now, perhaps you could use this.. If you could use a link to one, email me at [email protected]

I've been thinking of getting it myself, I'm so amazed at how much quieter the G4 is when on the floor, and with a few little tricks

The first thing it did is get rid of the obnoxious noise the quicksilver makes when there is media in the optical drive.. bad thing about being on floor is when I was doing some cable work, I turned around (under desk), and knocked over the tower.. note, the machine was on, and hard drive spinning (thank god it was only MP3's!)

When my cinema screen is back I'll give it a hug, I miss it and it's been 5 days now since I sent it in to apple

I take it you must be running an audio studio, graphics editing, or video studio of sorts, considering all the audio equipment you have, I've just completed wiring up my room with rca wiring to take sound to the stereo when i want it.. there's only two ruts..

1. The pro speakers go off when you plug in something on the headphone jack.

2. There's no way to hack the switch so you can have a little switch on the RCA cable to send a signal or something when you want sound and when you don't have pro speakers!

3. If only they made a wire extension for pro speakers (with amplifier of course!) my life would be complete.. it was really hard to find a way, however, to have a zero-wire experience, since my desk has a steel frame, and glass, plus the fact that the legs are way in the back and taping wires to them would be disgusting!

BTW: If you have a really big thing about looks, I'd suggest a glass table to complete your setup, all you need is something like studio rta's executive glass center (www.studiorta.com), imagine the sun shining true the desk and glowing on your cube!

Only downside is that it's a little hard to fit the cinema display on the center strip, and as I see, you like to be close to your monitor (same thing here.. LCD's like to be stared at from close difference), it would make more sense to put the monitor on your same side as the keyboard drawer.

BTW: If you have more than one machine, or would rather have the monitor on the long frame, there are also a set of screwholes to mount your keyboard drawer on the long table side

I have my setup (picture was horrible), to where I can turn to my laptop/writing side, and jot down a note while looking out at the beautiful carquinez straight, and some boats going up the river. beautiful

Cubes are wonderful machines, The quicksilver would look cooler if the front end was a little higher, or should I say, if you put it crooked or hilled to where the front is angled a little, looks really nice. Cube is so cool in the fact is perfectly flat on top!!! LOVE cube

I just could never figure out why anyone would ever be so damn paranoid abotu sound!!! Having a little music or such in the background is the perfect thing!

(when I move I plan to try getting a set of USB speakers, a REALLY long cable, a powered USB hub, and mounting the USB pro speakers (cube ones), up on the other side, or maybe the back of the room, they're so cute!!!

BTW: add an isub, they work even with the cube speakers off, counting that you use OS 10

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 11:46 PM

Nice setups guys! Especially 2far, man, that has got to be the ultimate setup. So clean, and so nice.

I would post mine but its a DA G4, so elsewhere it shall go

Keep those pics coming... nice seeing the cube around (the setup on Dark Angel is pretty cool heh)

macanonymous
Jan 11, 2002, 07:23 PM

mcCoy

I'v got to ask: How's that Sony sr11k stack up against everything else you've got? Speed-wise I guess. Does it feel snappy? Would it be as good as your Cube?

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>Nice setups guys! Especially 2far, man, that has got to be the ultimate setup. So clean, and so nice.

Keep those pics coming... nice seeing the cube around (the setup on Dark Angel is pretty cool heh)</STRONG>
Thanks, Hornet! I guess, I have a neat-freak potential

And if Apple doesn't release near-silent Pro Macs, the Cube's going to stay ... probably with the addidion of a Dual Sonnet G4 card. We'll see about the noise, but as far as performance is concerned, I'd go with the new iMac, but I need an ADC for a bigger display (no, a VGA-ADC converter won't do for me).

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2002, 04:18 AM

I'm thinking of painting my Cube something. Anyone have any ideas? I know the Cube is beautiful alrady, but I want a little more.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 07:27 AM

Hey Jansar, I love digging around this forum, especially because I love cubes... I guess you could always paint the box inside the plastic case, that way it'll look better, I imagine...

Paint it metallic blue!!! hehehe, or even metallic silver.. it'd look really cool

Or perhaps the ethernal look, snow white

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by JoeG4:
<STRONG>

When my cinema screen is back I'll give it a hug, I miss it and it's been 5 days now since I sent it in to apple
</STRONG>

What happened to your cinema display that it had to go back to Apple?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2002, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>Nice setups guys! Especially 2far, man, that has got to be the ultimate setup. So clean, and so nice.

Keep those pics coming... nice seeing the cube around (the setup on Dark Angel is pretty cool heh)</STRONG>
Dark Angel is a kick-a$$ show!

They also have some GREAT Apple setup's on it.
(BTW: The show "24" has some pretty hip Apple setups as well.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 08:51 PM

DA - Digital Audio. It's the cube's older cousin (the quicksilver is it's big brother)

Anyhow, my cinema display was sent in because it had about 20 dead pixels, as well as about 30+ stuck ones.

The first time I sent it in they sent it back saying no defect was found, so this is the second time.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 20, 2002, 03:42 AM

2far.. here's that post btw:

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>You europeans know how to make great setups.</STRONG>
milhous: Anything European is indeed better than anything American, whether it's a computer setup, cars or something else. However, a setup as neat as 2far's can only be Swiss. Anybody with 50% or more Swiss blood has to be an obsessive-compulsive neat-freak, whether they are ready to admit it or not. [Note: Just to make it clear, these comments are meant in jest. Those of you who know me will know that I am half Swiss and very much appreciate both American and European ways.]

2far: I have to complient you on your clean setup, even though your initial post lies many months back. I'm glad to hear that you traded in your PowerBook G4 for the sublime iBook and are happy with the choice. Looks like your work is still going well. I also have to applaud you for sticking with the Cube because of its silence in a professional environment. I'm curious to see whether Tuesday's new PowerMacs will continue the loudly howling tradition of recent G4 towers.

As for the whole Cube discussion, I was tempted when it came out. I was even more tempted when the prices dropped. But the Cube still didn't manage to fit in my budget. With the new hemisphere-stick-square iMac, it's tought to look back at the Cube. And since I can't decide and don't use my desktop Macs professionally, my trusty Bondi iMac (Rev.A) keeps chugging along.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2002, 03:05 PM

2far.. here's that post btw:
Hi Joe, I like the setup on that table, nice and clean! (and especially the Bender sticker on the back of the G4 )

2far

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: 2far ]

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by escher:
milhous: Anything European is indeed better than anything American, whether it's a computer setup, cars or something else. However, a setup as neat as 2far's can only be Swiss. Anybody with 50% or more Swiss blood has to be an obsessive-compulsive neat-freak, whether they are ready to admit it or not. [Note: Just to make it clear, these comments are meant in jest. Those of you who know me will know that I am half Swiss and very much appreciate both American and European ways.]

2far: I have to complient you on your clean setup, even though your initial post lies many months back. I'm glad to hear that you traded in your PowerBook G4 for the sublime iBook and are happy with the choice. Looks like your work is still going well. I also have to applaud you for sticking with the Cube because of its silence in a professional environment. I'm curious to see whether Tuesday's new PowerMacs will continue the loudly howling tradition of recent G4 towers.
I'm with you ... let's see what Tuesday brings us. I don't expect a replacement for the cube, and so I also won't be disappointed. Working a noisy G4 Tower is out of a question.

Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the iBook (dual USB) will do.
How true. I got pretty used to the iBook, and it also looks like we're in for a long wait ...

2far

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 07:21 PM

I like it. It's fun. I love my cube. I like it a lot.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 20, 2002, 09:04 PM

I am about 50% European, actually more like 90% if I want to dive down that far, but my father's family was from Europe. Further down my mother's family she's all over Europe as well. Funny I never noticed until now :/

My setup is like a wave, I'm always cleaning up everything, even checking the desk every week to make sure it's all alligned properly and such (glass moves easily).

I should have a much nicer pic later, though it is roughly the same, a good camera makes a big difference

My setup just can't be 100% American, if you know what I'm trying to say, it's just too nice

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 10:31 PM

<STRONG>I am about 50% European, actually more like 90% if I want to dive down that far, but my father's family was from Europe. Further down my mother's family she's all over Europe as well. Funny I never noticed until now :/

My setup is like a wave, I'm always cleaning up everything, even checking the desk every week to make sure it's all alligned properly and such (glass moves easily).

I should have a much nicer pic later, though it is roughly the same, a good camera makes a big difference

My setup just can't be 100% American, if you know what I'm trying to say, it's just too nice </STRONG>
heh, you have the desk i'm buying.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 21, 2002, 02:36 AM

cool.
Where'd you get it at? We ordered 2 at a time, one setup for my brother, one for I, I spent 3 hours putting them togeher, the first one was mine, and it took nearly 2 hours because I had a lot of junk to move in my room.

The other I threw together really fast... it was cool

Let me know how it goes

tweetymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2002, 01:26 AM

Hi all!

Great to see everyone's setups - there are some way cool ones . . . I'd like to join the fray, but am new here, especially when it comes to posting a picture . . . can anyone give me a quick 1, 2, 3, tutorial?

Thanks! :-)

TM

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2002, 02:48 AM

It's easy. Reply to the post and then type your message.

Click on the "Instant UBB Code" section below and hit the Image button. Paste the URL into the IMG field and you're done.

Oh yeah, you've got to have your picture up on the internet somewhere.

:-&gt;

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: danbrew ]

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 10:51 AM

My Cube (500,DVD) upstairs in my NY apt... Firewire: Que CD-RW, Maxtor External Drives.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
<STRONG>My Cube (500,DVD) upstairs in my NY apt... </STRONG>
That's a seriously nice pad, Colonel Panic. I just love mezzanines under a slated roof with windows. Do you own or rent? (I've been following real estate prices in the City after 9/11 and I seriously wish we could move back up there now, before having done our time here in DC.)

Of course, the Cube and 15" LCD setup does your lofty abode more than justice.

Escher

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by escher:
<STRONG>

That's a seriously nice pad, Colonel Panic. I just love mezzanines under a slated roof with windows. Do you own or rent? (I've been following real estate prices in the City after 9/11 and I seriously wish we could move back up there now, before having done our time here in DC.)

Of course, the Cube and 15" LCD setup does your lofty abode more than justice.

Escher</STRONG>
hey, thanks, escher! i bought it (gulp) in 1998. definitely love it, it's in a brownstone on the west side - the loft upstairs was added in the early 1990's. it's *not* big at all, but there's a little fireplace downstairs and a roof deck on top, so the space is fun, at least.
prices are definitely coming down lately, c'mon back!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
<STRONG>I'm with you ... let's see what Tuesday brings us.</STRONG>
2far: Looks like Tuesday brought us a ton of nothing, nada and zip. Maybe we have to start getting our hope up every Tuesday now. Waiting for a new Mac portable akin to a subnotebook for 3+ years, I have come to learn patience. One could even argue that I am still waiting.

Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the iBook (dual USB) will do.
<STRONG>How true. I got pretty used to the iBook, and it also looks like we're in for a long wait ...</STRONG>
To be honest, I've gotten so used to the new iBook that I have given up on a subnotebook. All I am hoping for now is a gradual improvement in terms of weight and performance. I really think that those who thought that a Cube-Book was coming had seen prototypes of the new iBook.

Even though the Cube is clearly on the higher end of desktops and the iBook is clearly at the consumer level, they complement each other like no pair in Apple history. The only thing that I would like even more would be the return of the Duo Dock for the iBook (or an iBook-like portable Mac).

Escher

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2002, 04:50 PM

<STRONG>i bought it (gulp) in 1998.</STRONG>
If we had stayed in the City any longer, we would have bought too. It hurt my heart, throwing down all this rent money into a big black hole every month. 1998 is when we moved down here, to a place with three times the square footage and yard, all within our price range. It's just nuts how prices vary according to geographic area.

<STRONG>there's a little fireplace downstairs and a roof deck on top, so the space is fun, at least.</STRONG>
I've come to realize that unless you have some serious dough (like Mariah Carey and her CPW triplex) getting a fun place is more realistic than getting a large place in NYC. I browse the Corcoran real estate web site from time to time and it's crazy to think that a place comparable to our condo here in DC (in terms of size, rooms and outdoor space) would cost at least 4 times more. We'll definitely have to readjust our expectations when we go back. But I'm determined to find a place with character and outdoor space.

<STRONG>prices are definitely coming down lately, c'mon back! </STRONG>
Gotta finish law school first (May 2003) and then see whether I can get a job with a NY firm again. And hope that my wife and dog will not want to migrate to suburubia....

Escher

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 05:50 PM

(in one of its cleaner moments)

Cube 450, 896 Ram, 60 gig Deskstar. Behind the monitor-- Que firewire burner, Maxtor 40 gig FW hard drive, and FW Zip 250.
I like being able to hide the scanner in the old typewriter drawer, I just wish I had someplace to hide the Epson-- It's noisy.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 06:22 PM

<STRONG>My Cube (500,DVD) upstairs in my NY apt... Firewire: Que CD-RW, Maxtor External Drives.

(Image nipped to save bandwidth)</STRONG>
THAT desk works great with the cube and your external drives.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ionm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 01:55 PM

2far,

Just wondering who makes that desk your using? I've been looking for something similar, but so far I haven't found anything quite as good.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by ionm:
<STRONG>2far,

Just wondering who makes that desk your using? I've been looking for something similar, but so far I haven't found anything quite as good.</STRONG>

I'm afraid I can't tell you that (I don't know). Also, I didn't find anything written on it. Sorry ...

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2002, 02:59 AM

bump. any more cubes?

Both winners of the Kickass setup awards were cubes. ... http://homepage.mac.com/macnnsetups
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2002, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
<STRONG>bump. any more cubes?

Both winners of the Kickass setup awards were cubes. ... http://homepage.mac.com/macnnsetups</STRONG>
I can't believe someone collected all of those pics!
Wow!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

netgo
Feb 19, 2002, 04:42 AM

Apple G4 Cube 450/1.5GB(3 133Mhz 512MB Dimm)/CDRW/WD 7200RPM 120GB/GeForce3/Fan/Apple 17" LCD/SoundStick/HP G85
External WD 7200RPM 120GB firewire
Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse
iMic, Palm usb-serial, a Router, powered usb hub

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 02:26 PM

How is the Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse? Everything work ok?

Forum Links
Forum Rules