Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > A realization about iPad criticism

A realization about iPad criticism (Page 4)
amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 01:14 PM

iPad acceptance is going to be all about the apps. That's why the criticism has been so far off. Critics keep harping about missing cam, missing physical keyboard, etc. But once the iPad finally hits the shelves and popular apps start appearing, it's going to be a fantastically popular platform.

Doctors, for example, are reputedly itching to get their hands on one, so that they can consult patient records while doing their rounds. Lawyers will want to have one so that they can consult legal case history and precedent (without having a screen sticking up to remind the judge that they're not listening to him/her). Schools will want them so as to take advantage of all the educational apps that will show up--thereby reducing absenteeism and rowdy behavior during classes.

Elderly columnists and dyspeptic critics will diss the keyboard, but kids and adaptable adults will learn to type quite fast on the virtual keyboard, especially with Apple's error correction algorithms.

Everybody's gonna want to have one.

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2010, 03:38 PM

I agree 100% with amazing, it's all about the apps and content. Just look at all the book and magazine publishers waiting for the iPad like the second comming.
I'm sure web designers are not ignoring it either and I'm sure very many are busting their backsides to support it. Pride goes before the fall and with the web being such a crowded, dinamic and competitive place websites even heavily Flash ones would do well not to take their market share lightly. A keener more flexible site could come in to a new market place and take over and very quickly they could find them selves yesterdays site using yesterdays tech.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
iPad acceptance is going to be all about the apps.
That was my point. I don't see any particular problem with the iPad, just that the killer-app(s) are not here yet so at this moment... it is premature to crown it king of the world.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will rule.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2010, 07:42 PM

"Nerds are gonna hate cuz they don't like the specs, but the specs aren't the point at all. It's all about the app store and iTunes the convienient distribution of software and media." -Parry Gripp

klandan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2010, 07:58 AM

this is a fantastic thread. It has sent everyone into a tizzy over grammar,etc. The only thing about the thread is that it is too early, we need to know much more about the ipad until we can properly comment. In my opinion, Apple released this product too early - even THEY werent really ready. Cockups in the "pre release" software were showing up in the press room after the event, with several things showing up.
Give the ipad time to show its mettle in a few weeks, then see.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 09:15 AM

They can’t have released it too early, since they didn’t release it yet.

klandan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2010, 10:52 AM

ah, I see.
those journalists were playing and talking about thin air, were they?

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by klandan View Post
ah, I see.
those journalists were playing and talking about thin air, were they?
Ah, well yes! We've become connoisseurs of thin air: There's the thin air of all the rumor speculation on unannounced Apple products, then there's the even thinner air of critiquing the rumored specs of rumored products, based on photoshopped red herrings. These supposed "journalists" are Masters of Thin Air!

After the thin air during the Apple product announcement, where few details are announced and much is glossed over, there's the even more rarified thin air commentaries while waiting for an actual shipping product, which may in fact be somewhat different from what was announced.

No surprise that everyone is suffering from oxygen deprivation, and the resulting brain loss!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by klandan View Post
this is a fantastic thread. It has sent everyone into a tizzy over grammar,etc. The only thing about the thread is that it is too early, we need to know much more about the ipad until we can properly comment. In my opinion, Apple released this product too early - even THEY werent really ready. Cockups in the "pre release" software were showing up in the press room after the event, with several things showing up.
Give the ipad time to show its mettle in a few weeks, then see.
Apple released the iPad too early ?

This comment is also a pure cookup

-t

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
They can’t have released it too early, since they didn’t release it yet.
I think he meant "announced".
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

klandan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2010, 05:33 AM

he did mean
ANNOUNCE
- sorry
klandan

ipaderic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2010, 05:33 PM

I think 'Amazing' is right. When I bought my iTouch, I bought it for it's being an ipod... when I actually started paying attention to the Apps, I really fell in love with it. Now I hardly use it for music at all, but I use the apps every day. I expect a lot of people like me will want the iPad for the same reason... with the advantage that it has a bigger screen for those of us who don't see as well as we used to.
I'm ready for the iPad Touch. But is it ready for me?

torntogether06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2010, 04:41 PM

I guess the one issue that keeps me wondering about the iPad (and hasn't been touched on this forum much at all), is the whole space issue.

i've got a 32 gig touch, but its completely full just on music. 64 would be enough for me to put my music and a few movies on, but it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for growth when the average movie in the iTunes store is 2 gig. You buy 10 movies and you're already out of 1/3rd of your space...and then what about when I want to throw my photos on it? Most consumers have cameras that take pictures in megapixels, which have huge file sizes. That kind of negates the option of not owning a computer as well, because eventually, I will need to throw some stuff back on my computer. I guess for people like me who want all of their collection with them all of the time, this is an issue. So until gen 2, when it inevitably doubles in size, I will probably wait.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by torntogether06 View Post
I guess for people like me who want all of their collection with them all of the time, this is an issue. So until gen 2, when it inevitably doubles in size, I will probably wait.
You don't want an iPad. You want a laptop or an iPod Classic. I'll never understand why people want "All their stuff" on an iPod.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Ah, well yes! We've become connoisseurs of thin air: There's the thin air of all the rumor speculation on unannounced Apple products, then there's the even thinner air of critiquing the rumored specs of rumored products, based on photoshopped red herrings. These supposed "journalists" are Masters of Thin Air!

After the thin air during the Apple product announcement, where few details are announced and much is glossed over, there's the even more rarified thin air commentaries while waiting for an actual shipping product, which may in fact be somewhat different from what was announced.

No surprise that everyone is suffering from oxygen deprivation, and the resulting brain loss!
Most excellent post!

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2010, 12:36 PM

I'll be buying one.

I don't care that it doesn't have a camera. I have an iPhone and a professional DSLR if I want pictures.

I don't really care what everybody else thinks about it, because I'll be buying one.

Thank you.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2010, 01:01 PM

I can't even really imagine using a camera, front or rear facing, on a tablet. Video chat would be awkward, and tiring, without a stand ($59.99?). Taking photos will be an awkward two-handed effort holding a 10" frame.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
You don't want an iPad. You want a laptop or an iPod Classic. I'll never understand why people want "All their stuff" on an iPod.
Depends on how you listen. I'm thinking that if you create a bunch of playlists and only listen to them then you don't need to carry your entire collection - just a few playlists. I, on the other hand, tend to listen to complete albums. And every album I own fits a certain "mood", so I want to have them all with me so that I can listen to any of them when the mood strikes.

While I may end up getting an iPad (haven't decided yet), I don't think I'll be truly happy with one until they hit 128gigs.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Depends on how you listen.
Word.

How am I supposed to load the music I want to listen to on the iPod when I don't even know what i want to listen to until the moment I put the earbuds in?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 12:06 PM

Same here. All my music has to go my iPhone/iPod/iPad at once. Up to the point where I turn on the music I rarely know what I'll want to listen to.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Same here. All my music has to go my iPhone/iPod/iPad at once. Up to the point where I turn on the music I rarely know what I'll want to listen to.
QFT

I have a buttload of music on my iPhone, and I decide to listen to what I want to listen to at the moment I'm in the mood for music.
the geek source

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 12:25 PM

Well we seem to have made progress... when I first started on these forums almost no one shared these opinions.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 02:37 PM

Is anyone here really planning on using the iPad for music? I'd keep my iPhone for calls, music, Facebook, and messaging, but I would use the iPad for completely different reasons: ebooks, video, websurfing, anything ill-suited to a small screen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 02:47 PM

No, honestly I'll be keeping my iPod classic around. I'll probably buy the iPad with the least memory as I'm not sure what I'll actually be storing on the thing.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Is anyone here really planning on using the iPad for music? I'd keep my iPhone for calls, music, Facebook, and messaging, but I would use the iPad for completely different reasons: ebooks, video, websurfing, anything ill-suited to a small screen.
Actually, yes. I'll have my music on my iPad just like I do my iPhone. That way, when I'm using my iPad, I'll have my music and when I'm not using it, I still have my music. Either way, I have my music. I'd rather be connected to one device while I'm tapping away at a document than have my headphones connected to a second, separate device at the same time.
the geek source

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 12:34 AM

In response to the OP.

I agree. Most of the people whining about the iPad seem to want a sub-$500 device running OSX.

They want OSX, but do not want to(or cannot afford to) buy a Mac, and so they whine.

The others whine just because it is an Apple product, and one that stands a much better chance of being successful in this category which has thus far failed at the hands of the companies they ignorantly and blindly support.

Cheers

MacPC
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2010, 05:22 AM

As much as I like Apple's products, I really can't think of a reason to buy an iPad, or those non-Apple junks called netbook, (Windows? ewww!!) For work on the road, I have my MBP, which is ten times more powerful then the iPad. When I travel light, my iPhone fits in my pocket quite nicely. Why do I need an iPad?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 06:48 AM

For everything you can't comfortably do on the iPhone and that the MacBook pro is totally overkill for.

For most MacBook pro owners, it will probably be a few years before the iPad-type devices can close that gap, but there's more than a few where this is the case already, today.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
For most MacBook pro owners, it will probably be a few years before the iPad-type devices can close that gap, but there's more than a few where this is the case already, today.
I think this is a very reasonable assessment of the situation. Presently I could never replace my 15" MBP with an iPad, no question. But in principle I don't see why this couldn't change in the next couple of years. The iPad will develop further, but also the web/internet will evolve to better accommodate devices like the iPhone/iPad/Android/etc. If there's eventually an iPad with some access to the CLI and/or X11 it will definitely become an option for people in my line of work. Even if it's just as a mobile companion device.

I look forward to seeing how the iPad will improve over the next couple of generations. I'm pretty sure the present version is good enough to attract lots of buyers and generate enough momentum to spark further development. This isn't going to be another AppleTV.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 03:41 AM

VPN client to your Mac at home ?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
As much as I like Apple's products, I really can't think of a reason to buy an iPad, or those non-Apple junks called netbook, (Windows? ewww!!) For work on the road, I have my MBP, which is ten times more powerful then the iPad. When I travel light, my iPhone fits in my pocket quite nicely. Why do I need an iPad?
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
For everything you can't comfortably do on the iPhone and that the MacBook pro is totally overkill for.
In the context of an answer to someone who already has an iPhone and the MacBook Pro, that doesn't really make much sense.

The MacBook Pro is already overkill, so you're recommending spending even more money to add an iPad?

I'm sure some people in that situation will buy an iPad, but it's not really a great way to justify the expense.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 04:50 PM

If you quote the first sentence fragment out of context, then it does indeed not make sense.

Thankfully, god gave us multi-sentence posts.

I said that if it isn't yet, the ipad will probably eventually be an adequate REPLACEMENT for his ProBook

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 05:47 PM

It still doesn't make sense. Presumably he's asking about buying the iPad in its current form.

Eventually it might, but then you're actually agreeing with our contention that the current iPad is quite lacking for so many people.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 06:20 PM

What are you trying to prove I failed to argue?

He asked how the ipad was relevant to him. I said it might be, but might also not until possibly later, but that there are plenty of people it's fine for already - more of a general assessment.

Now you're telling me that I didn't answer his question and explained why the iPad is a failure?

Look, I really don't know your grandma, but I'm sure she would've understood my point - heck, even Simon got what I was saying…

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 06:30 PM

I didn't suggest you said the iPad is a failure. However, it is interesting to see you agreeing that the iPad 2010 is lacking for the significant chunk of the population used to laptops... which is pretty much what some of us have been saying all along.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 06:33 PM

Good. So we've agreed all along on a point I never disputed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules