Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do you still come here?

Why do you still come here? (Page 2)
kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Hi besson3c, I hang over at reddit. I hate it/kinda like it. I am currently 98.6° F, give or take. Nice to see you and that kimosabe guy too.
I wondered if you knew it was I.

Good to see you, too!

iM@k
Senior User
Sep 25, 2012, 07:47 PM

Hey bartender, what's a gay guy gotta do to get a drink around here?
What, me worry?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2012, 09:03 PM

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
It's sucked since the mods starting banning anybody with a strong opinion of anything. They want lemmings here.
This is your big chance to prove us wrong. We're not doing much ATM. I don't know how long the opportunity will last, but your door is open.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 10:26 PM

Mods take out the trash.

Mods want users who don't overflow the dumpster.

It's that simple.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 25, 2012, 11:17 PM

Invite Kilby, Zimphire, StarWarsGuy, all the people who used to piss each other off. Invite them all back. And get rid of the politlcal lounge (even though it was my idea)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 12:05 AM

Invite Kilby, Zimphire, StarWarsGuy, all the people who used to piss each other off. Invite them all back. And get rid of the politlcal lounge (even though it was my idea)
What about Railroader?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 12:11 AM

That's Kilbey.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2012, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
Hey bartender, what's a gay guy gotta do to get a drink around here?
Do you know this joke?

A group of co-workers are having a few beers after work when a wager is proposed. The winner will be the one with the largest 'member.' So, they decide the only way to settle the matter is to whip them out, place them on the bar-top, all in a row, and measure them.

While this is going on a Gay guy enters the club and the maitre'd asks if he'd like a table in the dining room. To which the Gay guy says, while looking approvingly at the display of 'meat' on the bar, "No, I think I'll try the buffet."

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This is your big chance to prove us wrong. We're not doing much ATM. I don't know how long the opportunity will last, but your door is open.
So are you saying this place is like the wild west right now? or maybe a pirate ship?

This could get fun!

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2012, 06:26 AM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 06:41 AM

MOTHER F**KER!!!

Andi, Can you explain the forum in your sig?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 08:42 AM

It's sucked since the mods starting banning anybody with a strong opinion of anything. They want lemmings here.
I have strong opinions and haven't been banned, not even temporarily. For that matter, I've only received 4 infractions in 9 years. The main issues are: 1.) language and 2.) member abuse. If you keep profanity to a reasonable level in conversation, about the same as you'd use with acquaintances, and treat other members with at least a minimum amount of respect, I can't see how anyone could get banned from this forum. Want to see severe moderation? Try conversing on most of the forums for high-end audio and autos, those mods rule with an iron fist (sans velvet glove). That's because they have members like Jay Kay and Eric Bana, who really don't care for a lot of bickering and nonsense. Those places are also invite only with ID requirements, so it makes it even worse if you get booted for being an arse. You can't just make up a new account, you're out for good.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 AM

Anyone realized how many lurkers there are?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I have strong opinions and haven't been banned, not even temporarily. For that matter, I've only received 4 infractions in 9 years. The main issues are: 1.) language and 2.) member abuse. If you keep profanity to a reasonable level in conversation, about the same as you'd use with acquaintances, and treat other members with at least a minimum amount of respect, I can't see how anyone could get banned from this forum. Want to see severe moderation? Try conversing on most of the forums for high-end audio and autos, those mods rule with an iron fist (sans velvet glove). That's because they have members like Jay Kay and Eric Bana, who really don't care for a lot of bickering and nonsense. Those places are also invite only with ID requirements, so it makes it even worse if you get booted for being an arse. You can't just make up a new account, you're out for good.
I don't even see profane language being much of an issue.

Once I put "**** you with a plunger" in a graphic (starred and not directed at anyone specifically). I was asked to take it down and actually thanked for doing it and not giving him shit.

There is one moderator who disaproves of you rudely discussing the genitals of world leaders.

While I'd rather things were looser, I can't really object to these rulings either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 01:04 PM

Rereading that, I realized I omitted the point.

I can get pretty ****tastically foul, and those were the only two times it was a problem.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

There is one moderator who disaproves of you rudely discussing the genitals of world leaders.
So, we can't talk about Kate bush (or boobs)?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 01:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you can.

Just don't add licking the sweat off them like I did.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post

A guest could just be a search engine bot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 01:45 PM

This is not the wild wild west, my test thread was locked:

http://forums.macnn.com/0/forum/492902/the-substance-free-thread-about-another-member-abe

I guess there are just fewer mods doing their thing, but there is modding going on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post

It's always been like that.

And just to make the point how dead 'NN is, here are the stats from MacRumors:

Currently Active Users: 12120 (959 members and 11161 guests)

-t

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 09:06 PM

I don't.

Aw ****...

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This is not the wild wild west, my test thread was locked:

http://forums.macnn.com/0/forum/492902/the-substance-free-thread-about-another-member-abe

I guess there are just fewer mods doing their thing, but there is modding going on.
Took a while to get locked down though. I was going to reply about said "member".

I am guessing it easier to keep all the vitriol in a few threads than having running battles across the whole forum.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

It's always been like that.
And just to make the point how dead 'NN is, here are the stats from MacRumors:
Currently Active Users: 12120 (959 members and 11161 guests)
-t
Because web connections are stateless, it is virtually impossible for these numbers to be accurate anyway. Some of those guests could have been search engine bots from over an hour ago, in theory. The way these numbers were derived might be quite different too, these are definitely not accurate in anyway, there is no way they can be (even the definition of "active" is unclear).

In short, obviously MacRumors does far better, but the active members/guests tallies are pretty useless to compare to one another.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Took a while to get locked down though. I was going to reply about said "member".

I am guessing it easier to keep all the vitriol in a few threads than having running battles across the whole forum.
I'll try again creating another violating thread in the lounge to see how it does. This is for scientific research, of course!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2012, 04:34 PM

Been a while since I stopped in here.
Layout/format looks a bit sterile... seems like the same old vitriol
Y'all play nice now, y'hear.

Z

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2012, 07:38 AM

I come back because I enjoy the diverse community. I don't find it that difficult to ignore the content I don't like and genuinely appreciate many of the conversations I've had here and things I've learned.

Crazy as it is, this forum represents above average intelligence (yes, I'm cringing as I write that) and is a great source of computer and non-computer information. For example, I was happy to recently suggest a backpack to someone and know that if I start a thread about vacuum cleaners I won't get answers that suck.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2012, 07:56 AM

That was me!

That is another reason I come here. This forum seems like a close-knit group of very different minded people that bring different things to the table...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I know that if I start a thread about vacuum cleaners I won't get answers that suck.
Or if you're lucky, you will.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules