Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any Ti DVI upgrades to 10.1.5?

Any Ti DVI upgrades to 10.1.5?
k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2002, 03:32 PM

Anyone tried this out yet?

<a href="http://www.powerpage.org" target="_blank">PowerPage</a> has a story about it crashing on Ogrady's 800MHz DVI (and requiring a reinstall of the OS), but installing fine on other laptops. I'm holding off until I'm sure this is a freak occurence.

NilesDonegan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2002, 03:53 PM

Mine's working fine. I upgraded it 6 hours ago and no quirks to be found.

Niles

Zytryx
Jun 5, 2002, 04:04 PM

Running just fine here on my 800DVI. What I am having a problem with is the Office update, causes my office to crash as soon as i start an office app, had to reinstall the old version.

Z

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2002, 04:48 PM

Really strange thing happened. I put the computer to sleep, went out...and then came back. I start the Ti up, but I notice that there is no sound. I keep pushing the sound up and down buttons, but no sound. So I put the computer to sleep again, and then start it up. Now I had all kinds of sounds going on. Mainly random notification sounds from MS Entourage. It just would not quit doing it. So I quit Entourage which I have running all the time for emails. So I did a restart. Now everything seems to be OK, but it looks like something is up with 10.1.5 on my Ti 800 DVI.

t

Keith Kinoshita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2002, 05:02 PM

It works fine on my Ti 800. Did the software update. Click on Reboot. No problems so far.

Thumannator
Jun 5, 2002, 05:28 PM

I installed the update about 2 hours ago on my Ti 800. Rebooted, no problems so far.

I have noticed sound issues in the past. When I have my PB muted (when I am at work), and I plug in headphones, they get sound through them anyway under iTunes?!? If I then move the volume slider in the menu bar up a bit, and then back down (to the muted level), things operate as they should. I think I had a similar experience starting up AIM (startup sound played through headphones, even though my PB was muted). Since I have had this happen under both 10.1.4 and 10.1.5, I do not believe necessarily that it is the fault of the applications, but of some way that the OS handles sound output to the headphones.

Anyway, did not mean to get off topic. Update seems to be okay so far.

Later,
Thumannator

Karim
Senior User
Jun 5, 2002, 06:14 PM

Everything went smooth on my 800DVI.

The sound problem is a known issue, and Apple is working on a fix. The workaround now is to open the sound control panel then sleep the computer and wake and sound should be restored, if not repeat and eventually it will get going again. No restarts are necessary just the sleep/wake cycle. For me, it usually works the first time and only occasionally requires 2 times. Noticed it a few times in 10.14 I don't know if 10.15 improves it or if we have to wait for Jag-Wire.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2002, 06:21 PM

No problems on my DVI 667. Nice to have that Reduce Processor Speed option in the Energy Saver now!

msykes
Senior User
Jun 5, 2002, 06:22 PM

Just wanted to chime in with one more "everything works fine" post on my Ti800DVI. Of course all I really use is Terminal, Mozilla, Fire, Graphic Converter and Show Desktop, plus an occasional round in Office (heard too many bad things about the Office upgrade to bother with that for now).

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2002, 06:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">(heard too many bad things about the Office upgrade to bother with that for now)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Arrrrgh, got a peg leg and an eye patch, do ya?

macndave
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2002, 07:55 PM

Yet another poster without any problems. I've updated to OS 10.1.5 and Microsoft Office X Service Release 1.

On my 800 DVI, I am using Office, Internet Explorer, Photoshop 7, Final Cut Pro, FileMaker, iPhoto, VPC 5, Transmit, Sound Studio and many more without any problems. Generally with SETI running Hidden in the background.

I've had great uptime, only restarts due to installs.

I do have issues with HEAT and the FAN. It gets very, very loud. And Airport range is not nearly as good as the Pismo, but it reaches my small office space and bedroom on the second floor.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2002, 08:23 PM

No problems here on my 667DVi. I think O'Grady's problem was that he had Jaguar on another partition and that screwed up something in startup disk prefs.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

sMACk
Jun 5, 2002, 10:06 PM

My 800 DVI working fine with both OSX and MS Office updates.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2002, 11:22 PM

667 running on 10.1.5 for 5 hours now, so far so good.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2002, 01:25 AM

My Ti 800 crashed hard shortly after I rebooted from the installation. It happened when I tried to open my iDisk. Everything froze, holding down command-option-escape didn't help either. I had to hold down the power button for 10 secs to force my PowerBook to reboot. Since then I've had no problems.

In the 10.1.5 readme, it mentioned that iDisk speeds should increase. I've noticed the iDisk mounts on my desktop really fast but everything else is slow as sh*t. Has anyone else experienced this when accessing their iDisk over Airport?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

k2man  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2002, 03:32 AM

After I read the first couple of posts here, I installed 10.1.5 and haven't had any problems. Idisk--mounting and transfers--is definitely a lot faster and everything's smooth. Looking forward to the Office update shortly... Thanks for the feedback...

urrl5201
Jun 6, 2002, 07:22 AM

No probs on my 667 DVI, but it's just the first day.

oeyvind
Senior User
Jun 6, 2002, 09:35 AM

no problem with 667 DVI (and also iBook 500) too, O'Grady's problem is DUE TO Jaguar (10.2) on one of his partition.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2002, 01:00 AM

My PowerBook 800 is doing well so far in 10.1.5. I have Office X upgraded as well, and it runs just fine. I had a lock up once, because of Classic. That WAS strange, but after restarting everything seems stable again.

t

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2002, 04:52 PM

I just upgraded my 667 DVI to 10.1.5 and no problems so far. My configuration includes 768 mb of ram. I have but haven't loaded the Office upgrade as yet.

PeteWK

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2002, 09:25 PM

My DVI 800 was upgraded tp 10.1.5 and I can not get any MS Office program to work, some sound problems too.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 8, 2002, 12:39 AM

After 3rd day from updating, notice the following:

Unexpected sudden random quits from Adobe Reader 5.0 and Mozilla 1.0 after running for awhile
Subsequent re-opens without a hitch.

Virtual PC 5.03 won't wake from asleep, even though the cursor is visible and mobile; have to quit or force quit or disable sleep altogether when/if screen is open or exit (quit) back to OSX desktop before closing screen lid.

How bizarre, how bizzare.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2002, 10:37 AM

No problems here.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2002, 11:06 AM

The update 10.1.5 showed up on my Software Update list the other day when I hit Update now. I choose to skip because I didn't have enough time to download 22 megs.

This morning I decided to go through with it and discovered it is no longer available.

I assume Apple has temporarily pulled it.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2002, 01:06 PM

upgraded to 10.1.5, no prob�s so far. MS office works flawless

Pat
Ivory 667MHz

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 9, 2002, 02:10 AM

Try updating 10.1.5 here if your Software Update Panel selection becomes unvailable.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122010" target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122010</a>

Forum Links
Forum Rules