Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 03:24 PM

And neon is the new black.

And drunk is the new sober.

What.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
While not claiming to know how Ram Doubler worked, simply explaining that CPUs were not as powerful in 1996 doesn't take away the fact that 1996 desktops had 64MB RAM at best.
And you have the MIPS per MHz superiority of PowerPC.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's not 100% correct.

The main gains from using RAMdoubler was writing VM out to the HD.
This has been done for ages by OS X. Only a small amount of RAM was "gained" by compression.

Don't forget, the CPU was much less powerful back then, so on the fly compression was just not possible in the same manner as it is today.

-t

I have this mental image of you rocking out your Lotus Notes with Ram Doubler going on with some Vanilla Ice playing in your CD player.

P
Jun 28, 2013, 03:56 AM

That's not 100% correct.

The main gains from using RAMdoubler was writing VM out to the HD.
This has been done for ages by OS X. Only a small amount of RAM was "gained" by compression.

Don't forget, the CPU was much less powerful back then, so on the fly compression was just not possible in the same manner as it is today.

-t
The old virtual memory in System 7 used a big backing file the size of the total virtual memory, and then moved pages in and out of real memory. RAM Doubler did many more things, because it didn't have to hit the main HD as often. Compression sounds reasonable.

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
While not claiming to know how Ram Doubler worked, simply explaining that CPUs were not as powerful in 1996 doesn't take away the fact that 1996 desktops had 64MB RAM at best.
And you have the MIPS per MHz superiority of PowerPC.
This is correct - we have several hundred times more memory to compress.

"MIPS per MHz" is what we call IPC - and no, I don't think that a 603 or something will beat Haswell on IPC. I'm not going to go off on a tangent and talk about instruction architectures, but let's just say that x86 has covered up its CISCy origins pretty well these days.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I have this mental image of you rocking out your Lotus Notes with Ram Doubler going on with some Vanilla Ice playing in your CD player.
Is this your attempt at humor ?

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 11:37 AM

I thought it was pretty funny.

Although I would have added a leather cap and goggles.

pwfletcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2013, 01:41 PM

I am a bit disappointed with Maverick's so far ... there is nothing really that innovative or new in it. I was really hoping for more server abilities but APple keeps wanting to push everything into the cloud.. I don't like the cloud!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 05:16 PM

Is this your attempt at humor ?

-t

Is this your attempt at standing up for yourself and your honor?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
I am a bit disappointed with Maverick's so far ... there is nothing really that innovative or new in it. I was really hoping for more server abilities but APple keeps wanting to push everything into the cloud.. I don't like the cloud!

What kind of server abilities are you looking for?

To me you can't even begin a conversation about being a serious server if you can't run the OS in a proper VM server. Since Apple doesn't want to do that, in addition to the fact that they don't have rackable hardware as has been talked about to death, the days of thinking of server abilities are long behind us.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 08:14 PM

Apple has officially allowed virtualization since 10.7.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah, but VMWare Fusion and Parallels are consumer products, not at all suitable for a server environment. Also, para-virtualization mostly likely isn't supported, so performance is ass.

macdevign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2013, 02:50 AM

I could not understand why up to now all the major OS didn't consider multiple clipboard support as standard OS feature rather than depends on utility like clipmenu etc ... Multiple clipboard is a great productivity feature.

Will the Apple team consider that feature in next OS ? I pretty sure the rest of OS vendors will follow. It is long time overdue.

Imagine syncing clipboard in icloud , secure folder for clipboard etc .. ios and mac device share clipboard ..

macdevign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2013, 02:55 AM

How about Apple adding charting and graphing framework into cocoa ? it will be cool to see how developers will use data visualization in their apps ... that's too is long overdue.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by macdevign View Post
How about Apple adding charting and graphing framework into cocoa ? it will be cool to see how developers will use data visualization in their apps ... that's too is long overdue.
Good idea.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Only on their own hardware.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2013, 09:57 AM

I could not understand why up to now all the major OS didn't consider multiple clipboard support as standard OS feature rather than depends on utility like clipmenu etc ... Multiple clipboard is a great productivity feature.
Because it's inherently complex. They might go that route for OS X eventually, as they Pro-ify the Mac, further differentiating it from iOS.

P
Jun 29, 2013, 01:09 PM

OS X already supports multiple clipboards in software and has ever since 10.0 (and probably in Openstep before that). Apple has just decided that we're not ready to see that in the interface. I have PTH Pasteboard installed and though I rarely use it, it's a godsend when I do need it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2013, 04:42 PM

Google provides APIs to do this on websites: https://developers.google.com/chart/ . My question is this: can third party developers provide their own Cocoa APIs? Could there be a day when Google provides these sorts of APIs into Cocoa/iOS where Apple is being too conservative/rigid/inflexible?

jtrag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2013, 04:34 PM

I'm about to install Mavericks on my Macbook Pro on a separate partition and keep my Mountain Lion Installation Intact. Mavericks looks pretty nice. I'd like to check it out

finboy
Jul 8, 2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I might have to throw it on my 2008 MBP and see what it does for the battery. I was on the verge of resigning myself to robbing a bank to buy the next retina MBP but if the final version will go on this old warhorse then a new battery might be the way to go. Get another year out of the old girl.
I think I'll put it on my late '07 Macbook...wait, no I won't. Sure would be nice to be able to run later OS's on my warhorse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules