Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tungsten Series - Is it worth getting a new T3?

Tungsten Series - Is it worth getting a new T3?
todrain
Senior User
Oct 4, 2003, 01:35 PM

I'm still using an old Visor Edge that I got a few years ago. It still does most of what I need, but i've been thinking of upgrading to a new PDA.

the Tungsten 3 seems really useful, especially with the 6mb of RAM and Bluetooth.

I'm just wondering if the newer Palms are worth the money? Have you found your new PDA more useful that your old? Is the Tungsten E really a better deal?

Thanks in advance for your input!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 03:10 PM

I have a Tungsten|T2, and I like it a lot, but personally I'm just getting tired of carrying around both a cell phone and PDA. I find I just use my Nokia most of the time since it iSyncs and reminds me for calendar events, etc. Entering info into a cell phone is a pain though, and I'm not a huge fan of graffiti even though I've been using it for years.

I'm planning on getting rid of my Nokia and my Palm and getting the Treo 600 once the prices settle. That device looks *fantastic*, even if it has a low-res screen. It's really the PDA-phone I've been waiting for -- small, shaped like a candy-bar phone, built-in camera, awesome battery life, stereo headset, soft-buttons, excellent thumbboard... *drool*

Jobs is probably right in that PDAs will become extinct as cell phones take over their functions.

If you want a PDA though, the Tungsten|T3 looks incredible -- but it's pricey. If the Visor Edge has held you out this long, maybe something simpler like a Tungsten|E would befit your needs more?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2003, 04:56 PM

The current line of Palm looks appealing to me. I used to own the Palm IIIx and sold it on eBay 2 years ago.

Now.. it should be a good time to join the PDA again. I have an iPod, which I bought a year ago; a old Nokia 8290 phone w/IR (may get a new one this Christmas). MP3 support on the Palm isn't an issue, but I would like to have a built-in microphone feature. I guess I have only either the Tungsten T2 or T3.. right?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 10:56 PM

Well, I have an original 2MB Handspring Visor, and there's no compelling reason for me to upgrade at this time. A color screen would be nice, but is not totally essential. I have an iPod for MP3's and have no need for a cell phone (I'm weird, right?).
However, if I were to buy a new PDA, I think the T3 is the best one currently on the market. The ability to have a small, pocketable PDA that can convert to a large screen PDA when you need it is really cool. Bluetooth and easy voice recording are also nice to have. I don't know if I would pay $400 though. I'd probably wait for a rebate deal or something.
Of course, I'm still holding out hope for a new Apple PDA. It'll never happen, but I still want one

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 01:00 AM

just got a tungsten E a few days ago. ive only had black and white palm devices up until this point so its a pretty cool change. its a relatively powerful processor, apps snap open pretty briskly, the screen is beautiful, mp3s play OK, but ive only tried the real player software that comes with it, other software might be better?

it was only 200 bucks too. i spent twice that amount on a palm III back in 98. dayum.

todrain  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 01:28 PM

I liked the ability to use the whole screen on the T3 and bluetooth, but again, I'm just not sure that i REALLY need those features.

The only issue that I have with the E is that it does not have a dock connector, not that that is really a big deal either, but it means I'll have another cable on my desk.

Riddler
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 02:08 PM

I have the original TT which is very cool and the TT3 looks to be an improvement in every area (apart from battery life which is down a bit)

However I won't be upgrading to the TT3 because with OS 6 on the horizon, maybe 6 months away, I feel there are much greater things coming.

I also have to agree with maxintosh that carrying round two devices (pda + phone) just seems silly when you think how much simpler a combined device would be.

The Treo 600 looks like an excellent combo Palm phone but I could not go back to 160x160 after having the TT for a year.

I just hope Palm will release a PalmOS 5.2.1 update for the TT so we TT users can get the latest version of Web Browser Pro and that next year we see a palmOne/Handspring developed Treo X with OS 6 and a 320x320 screen
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Lizard7
Oct 5, 2003, 11:18 PM

No wifi on the T3 unfortunately... It works surprisingly well on the Tungsten C.

torifile
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 12:51 AM

T3: Yawn. Nothing interesting. If you want a Palm, get a TT (original). They can be found for CHEAP now. Personally, I got tired of waiting for the Palm OS to get interesting, so I went with an iPAQ 2215. Nice machine. I still hate windows...

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
T3: Yawn. Nothing interesting
Nothing interesting! Switchable landscape/portait 320*480 screen is pretty damn cool. But I'll be waiting for OS6 and built in WiFi before I update, and an improvement in the battery life.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
T3: Yawn. Nothing interesting. If you want a Palm, get a TT (original). They can be found for CHEAP now. Personally, I got tired of waiting for the Palm OS to get interesting, so I went with an iPAQ 2215. Nice machine. I still hate windows...
God, I had an iPaq 2215 for a while. That thing was a total money pit that I almost threw out the window. Did they fix the whole alarms-don't-go-off-most-of-the-time MS-blames-HP-and-HP-blames-MS problem? What a mess.

Pocket PC was fun for about 2 weeks before it struck me that simple tasks that were so simple on the Palm took way too much effort on the PPC. Especially since Mac compatability was such a hack, installing programs bundled within .EXE installers was a PAIN IN THE ARSE! Plus AvantGo and Vindigo couldn't be synced without VPC. And Windows Mobile 2003 (why do they keep changing the name!?) had serious compatability issues with a lot of the classic PPC software. ARGH!

I've never had a handheld computer crash on me so much. Ugh. I returned it with 3 days left, and got a TT|2. It's not nearly as flashy, but man, at least it gets the job done.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 11:30 AM

It looks nice, but I'll wait until the T4 comes out because I want the WiFi as well, also, OS 6 would be nice too... But if this thing has the WiFi in it, than I would think about buying it. But since it doesn't... I'll wait until the T4 I guess... OS 6 was said to be the largest change in Palm OS, and also a turning point on where Palm wants to aim its OS towards and what they want to do with it for the future versions. I'll be a huge change, so I'll wait until OS 6 is out before I upgrade again.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

torifile
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
God, I had an iPaq 2215 for a while. That thing was a total money pit that I almost threw out the window. Did they fix the whole alarms-don't-go-off-most-of-the-time MS-blames-HP-and-HP-blames-MS problem? What a mess.

Pocket PC was fun for about 2 weeks before it struck me that simple tasks that were so simple on the Palm took way too much effort on the PPC. Especially since Mac compatability was such a hack, installing programs bundled within .EXE installers was a PAIN IN THE ARSE! Plus AvantGo and Vindigo couldn't be synced without VPC. And Windows Mobile 2003 (why do they keep changing the name!?) had serious compatability issues with a lot of the classic PPC software. ARGH!

I've never had a handheld computer crash on me so much. Ugh. I returned it with 3 days left, and got a TT|2. It's not nearly as flashy, but man, at least it gets the job done.

There's a fix for the alarms problem. I haven't had an issue with it personally, but then again, I've been using the notifications cleaner since I got it. Also, PocketMac 3 allows all sorts of stuff. Avantgo syncing works great. So far, I haven't experienced too many difficulties. I've got a PC that I use to install programs that don't have .cab's readily available. But since both PM3 and the Missing Sync came out, it's been much easier to use a PPC with a Mac. I've got a couple blog entries talking about my experiences with PM3. I'm going to do a Missing Sync one soon. (I bought both because I was able to upgrade to PM3 for $5).

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:

Hah, your experience sounds a lot like mine. The alarms in particular annoyed the hell out of me. I can't believe that HP and/or MS let that one ship.. I mean what is the number one reason to carry a frickin PDA? I finally ended up pitching the thing and just using my Nokia 3650 for calendaring stuff. I also carry a 12" Powerbook nearly everywhere now to make up for the loss of Pocket IE (which was really the only thing I used the PocketPC for..)

Forum Links
Forum Rules