Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dead Cube...Help

Dead Cube...Help
jrramsey
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 12:50 AM

450MHz
832MB RAM
120 Gig Baracuda
GeForce 3

In the last 2-3 months, I have been progressively having more and more problems. The screen goes fuzzy. Reboot sometimes works...sometimes not. Hardware Tools one time said my hard drive...another time by logic board...etc... The boot sound went away. Sometimes I could boot onto floppy now that's dead.

Now I get now boot sound, mouse/keyboard not receiving power, can only hear the fan on the graphics card...

I replace the motherboard thinking that was the problem but no.

Where do I go from here? The DC/DC power card?

Help..anyone?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 11:08 AM

If it was a drive, or the IDE controller, it seems like you'd get a chime, then the question mark.

Have you tried eliminating different RAM chips and slots? Pull all the RAM chips except one, then try it in each diff slot.

Can you boot from a CD?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jrramsey  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 01:09 PM

I used to be able to boot from a CD now that won't even work.

BTW: I put in a brand new HD with no luck.

If this were the DC/DC board, what would the symptoms be? Random failure modes...?

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 3, 2004, 07:36 AM

Mybe no help to you, but: You DID get a boot sound normally? My cube doesn't make any noise (speaker-wiese) on startup. I thought since the usb speakers need to be powered and have their system driver loaded, that's the explanation for no boot sound.

For your problem: The RAM sounds promising, true. had horribly problems once because of faulty RAM. was there any point in time when you put something new in ths system or changed something that started it all off?

Since the symptoms are changing all the time and you get nowhere with the hardware tools cd, have you tried an apple dealer? seems like you already put quite some money into the quest to find the culprit (new HD, new motherboard), so why not try the guys who should know?
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules