Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Question about iTunes/Pepsi promotion

Question about iTunes/Pepsi promotion
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 07:46 PM

I got some songs via the promotion and downloaded them successfully. I have had two problems. The first was trying to use the music in a DVD which I'm making, the song wouldn't burn onto the DVD. I can't even use the song in a iMovie.

Second, when I go to my mac at work and try to download the songs to the second mac, it tells me there is no music to download.

Are there more restrictions on the music downloaded via the Pepsi promotion than if I'd bought them? Is anyone else having this problem with the iTunes Music store?

zachs
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by ryarber:
I got some songs via the promotion and downloaded them successfully. I have had two problems. The first was trying to use the music in a DVD which I'm making, the song wouldn't burn onto the DVD. I can't even use the song in a iMovie.
Hmmm...have you played them in iTunes to get them authorized? Dumb question, I know, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Second, when I go to my mac at work and try to download the songs to the second mac, it tells me there is no music to download.
The "Check For Purchased Music" is only for music that you've purchased, but not downloaded. Like if your internet connection dropped while downloading, you would use that to re-download the song.

Are there more restrictions on the music downloaded via the Pepsi promotion than if I'd bought them? Is anyone else having this problem with the iTunes Music store?
There aren't any additional restrictions; you're getting the same songs you would get if you'd bought them. Apple just doesn't charge you.

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 08:08 PM

I thought the "check for purchased music" would allow you to download to a second computer. The AAC's are supposed to be authorized for 3 computers are they not? If so, how do I get them to a second computer. When I go to them in the iTMS and select them it asks me if I want to buy them again.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 08:39 PM

via your home network?

zachs
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 08:39 PM

I thought the "check for purchased music" would allow you to download to a second computer. The AAC's are supposed to be authorized for 3 computers are they not? If so, how do I get them to a second computer. When I go to them in the iTMS and select them it asks me if I want to buy them again.
The wording is confusing, I agree. Unfortunately it doesn't let you download the song again...but that would be useful.

The AAC (.m4p) files can be authorized on up to 5 computers with iTunes 4.5, I believe, so that's good news.

To get the song to another computer, you'll have to transfer the actual file. Highlight the song in iTunes and hit Command-R and it'll take you to the file in the Finder, if you don't know where it is.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 09:09 AM

Did you update to Quicktime 6.5.1? I wasn't able to use purchased songs in iMovie or iPhoto until I updated.

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 03:04 PM

I have now (upgraded QT) and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules