Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FTP Upload

FTP Upload
jrramsey
Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 03:51 PM

How do I connect to an ftp site and upload files? Apple Care says I have to buy a 3rd part program (e.g. - Transmit2)

Any other suggestions? Is this just a plain limitation of OS-X? Hopefully, not...

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by jrramsey:
How do I connect to an ftp site and upload files? Apple Care says I have to buy a 3rd part program (e.g. - Transmit2)

Any other suggestions? Is this just a plain limitation of OS-X? Hopefully, not...
You can use 'ftp' from the command line.

ftp some.server.com

put filename

exit

there, done.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 02:55 AM

I wouldn't say it's a direct limitation as such, just a feature not provided by the Finder.

Transmit as you mention is one of the best FTP programs out there, or I'm sure if you have a look on MacUpdate you could find a cheaper or free alternative.

Or if you are familiar with the command line, you could simply use the 'FTP' terminal command.

jrramsey  (op)
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 12:46 AM

Thanks for all your help. I'll probably go with Transmit as I've heard it is an excellent tool and only about $25.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 12:50 AM

I highly recommend the FREE application "RBrowserLite". Excellent FTP application!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 01:53 AM

i dont know much about FTP, but i know my university bundles fetch with its software package for students.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2004, 12:46 PM

Transmit and Fetch are both awesome, but if you're looking for something that fulfills both the "awesome" and "free" requirements, check out Cyberduck . I use it all the time with no problems, even for massive uploads.

brachiator
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I highly recommend the FREE application "RBrowserLite". Excellent FTP application!
I second the vote for RBrowserLite. It is quite useful and free. I'm going to give the above-recommended Cyberduck a try, though, too.

Nivag
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 06:16 AM

why don't you just use connect to server or put the ftp address into Safari and mount the ftp server onto you desktop. can't get much cheaper than that

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Nivag:
why don't you just use connect to server or put the ftp address into Safari and mount the ftp server onto you desktop. can't get much cheaper than that
Very cool, very cheap, but unfortunately, the Finder will mount a volume and let you download files from it, but you cannot upload files. Maybe we will get this in Tiger.

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 08:15 PM

I'll put in a vote for the command line ftp program...

of course, I've got writing a gui for it somewhere way way down my to-do list, but... don't count on that any time soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules