Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why doesn't apple use PB 17" hinges on PB 15???

Why doesn't apple use PB 17" hinges on PB 15???
pete
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 05:08 PM

I love my 15 inch pb and think these machines are pretty darn sturdy. I seldom see them looking really bad cosmetically the way the tibooks do (I saw one of those yesterday and it looked awful with peeling pain - like it's been through space and back). BUT, I can't understand why Apple didn't use the same hinge mechanism in the 15 as they did in the 17. The hinges in the 17 pbs are incredly smooth and effortless. while the the ones in the 15 pbs are ok and certainly better than past pbs, they're not nearly as fluid.

Anybody know why? Just curious. ....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by pete:
I love my 15 inch pb and think these machines are pretty darn sturdy. I seldom see them looking really bad cosmetically the way the tibooks do (I saw one of those yesterday and it looked awful with peeling pain - like it's been through space and back). BUT, I can't understand why Apple didn't use the same hinge mechanism in the 15 as they did in the 17. The hinges in the 17 pbs are incredly smooth and effortless. while the the ones in the 15 pbs are ok and certainly better than past pbs, they're not nearly as fluid.

They are the same basic hinge.

Some are just tighter than others. There is the same variance in tightness among the 15" 'books as there is across all models. (I work in Apple retail, so we see plenty of these machines, trust me.)

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 06:05 PM

I've felt many of them and there is a fundamental qualitative difference between the 15 and 17. Are you really sure that it is the same mechanism? I've opened mine up to tighten a little and tried various degrees of tightness and none of them were ever as smooth as the 17 inch powerbooks.

ichibod
Feb 4, 2005, 06:35 PM

My 17" hinge squeaked like all hell, rev A. I'm looking forward to a new quiet pb. I like the 15" hinge better than the 17", but they are the same. Guess it just got old

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 06:41 PM

I have to agree, I've had both the 17" and the 15" aluminum Powerbooks. Though there was nothing wrong with the hinges on the 15" Powerbook and it worked fine and did not squeak at all opening the lid of the 17" Powerbook was much more fluid. It was as if the hinges of the 17" PB were on ball bearings, so smooth and could be open with one finger and always stayed where put. The 15" Powerbook lid was stiffer to open and did not have the same nice feeling.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 07:28 PM

I've felt many of them and there is a fundamental qualitative difference between the 15 and 17. Are you really sure that it is the same mechanism? I've opened mine up to tighten a little and tried various degrees of tightness and none of them were ever as smooth as the 17 inch powerbooks.
We have one demo 12" unit that was really tight but has got very smooth over time, while my own Rev. A 12" PB has always been smooth as silk.

They all come in all kinds. Obviously, the ideal is non-creaking but still solid, but there is quite a bit of tolerance across the board.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:41 PM

Just a stupid comment, but the 17" having a bigger screen, you probably have more torque when you open the screen from the end, hence you don't need as much 'strength' to move it. Don't know whether that would be enough to justify this difference but who knows?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 03:40 PM

More proof that the 15" is the bastard child of the Al PB line...

(just kidding)...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 02:09 AM

I completely disagree. The 17" PowerBook hinges are "looser" to compensate for the extreme weight of the display. One thing I REALLY disliked about my 17" was the fact that the hinges would not hold up the weight of the display when held at an angle - the 15" does.

I guess its all about preference - but I know when carrying my 15" around that the display will not move - I prefer that. ;-) To each his own I guess.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by mrfoxxman:
I completely disagree. The 17" PowerBook hinges are "looser" to compensate for the extreme weight of the display. One thing I REALLY disliked about my 17" was the fact that the hinges would not hold up the weight of the display when held at an angle - the 15" does.
The hinges on your 17" Powerbook were too loose.

I'd have got them fixed - ours are just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules