Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video editing frame by frame

Video editing frame by frame
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 02:10 AM

I've been using Final Cut Pro for years and am comfortable with it... but when I've been wanting to alter video frame by frame, i've been exporting frame by frame to jpg for PhotoShop and editing there - it is a mess. What's an easier way to do it? I have used AlamDV for some effects, but that's for special effects, not for the Photoshop type editing I want to do. Someone have an answer?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2005, 03:20 AM

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 02:32 PM

Cinepaint doesn't seem to open movie files

Maybe I need to clarify - I'm looking for an app that can open and edit movie files frame by frame with basic PhotoShop type tools (paint bucket, dropper, etc.)

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatButcher:
Cinepaint doesn't seem to open movie files
Ok, I don't know if any application that works frame to frame on the actual movie files. But, to get cinepaint to work you have to export your dv clip via quicktime as a 'movie to image sequence'. You then work on these frames in cinepaint and then use quicktime to import the image sequence back in when finished.

Cinepaint is only better than PS in this respect due to it's frame manager

The downside is that often you will export as say a jpeg, but then when working in cinepaint want to use their file format (to retain layers, etc) which means saving each individual frame as an .xcf file in cinepaint. I've found no way to batch convert to/from the cinepaint file format, which is a pain.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 08:53 PM

Doesn't AfterEffects do this?
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 11:23 AM

I don't know, does AfterEffects do this? I've never used After Effects...

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 11:24 AM

And actually, AlamDV does open movie files to work frame by frame, but that app is for adding special effects, not for the PhotoShop type modification I'm looking for

Deimos
Feb 25, 2005, 11:58 AM

You're talking of using a "compositing" package. There's a few tools out there which could do what you need without having to splash out on something like AE. In the long-run though, something like AE could do you good.

There used to be a great program called, "Commotion", but it's sadly not been updated in a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules