Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth

Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth
f1000
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 08:29 PM

I've cobbled together some instructions on tethering a PowerPC Macintosh running OS X 10.3 to a Cingular / AT&T Wireless Motorola V551 EDGE phone via Bluetooth®.

1. Add MEdia Net Unlimited to your account for $19.99/month (price as of 6/1/05).

2. Download the appropriate 3G modem scripts from Ross Barkman's Home Page and install them into your /Library/Modem Scripts folder. Do not download the GPRS scripts as you will not achieve EDGE speeds with them.

3. On the phone go to: Menu->Settings->Connection->Bluetooth->Setup->Bluetooth: On and Menu->Settings->Connection->Bluetooth->Setup->Find Me. This will allow your Mac to find your phone via Bluetooth.

4. Go up to the Bluetooth menu and pair the phone with your Mac. Pair the phone to use as a modem for GPRS data. On the next screen in the setup assistant enter the following data in:
    Service Provider: Cingular (optional)
    Account Name: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Telephone Number: wap.cingular
  5. Open up Network in System Preferences.
    Click the TCP/IP tab
    DNS Servers:
    Leave empty!
    Select Using PPP in the "Configure IPv4" drop down menu.
    Select Off in the "Configure IPv6" drop down menu.
    Click the PPP tab
    Click PPP Options...
    Ensure that the following boxes are unchecked:
    • Send PPP echo packets.
    • Use TCP header compression.
    • Connect using a terminal window (command line).
    Click the Bluetooth Modem tab:
    Select the appropriate modem script in the "Modem" drop-down menu.
    Uncheck Enable error correction and compression in modem.
    Uncheck Wait for dial tone before dialing.
  6. Add the following startup script using RMAC. Read through the thread for more details.
    #!/bin/sh
    #RMAC Startup Script

SYSCTL="/usr/sbin/sysctl -nw"
    IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig"

. /etc/rc.common

ConsoleMessage "Set Network Param"

$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040"
    $SYSCTL "kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.newreno=1"

sleep 3

Sources:
http://www.rtgrimesconsulting.com/pa...ge4/page4.html
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource
Wireless Forums from AT&T - Wireless Forums from AT&T

Addendum (7/14/06): Cingular is now selling an HSDPA phone, the LG CU500, with a max theoretical download speed of 1.8 Mbps. The phone also has EDGE for use in rural areas without UMTS/HSDPA. EDGE is faster on this phone than on EDGE-only phones; however, the phone only uses Bluetooth 1.2, which means that tethering with a USB cable will be necessary to eke out maximum performance.

MEdia Net Unlimited has been replaced by MEdia Net Max 200 and 1000 (7/27/06).

* Since I first started this thread, several major developments have occurred:
Tiger is now widespread
Intel chips have replaced PowerPC ones
HSDPA phones have been introduced
Cingular is now AT&T Wireless
iPhone was introduced
Leopard is now widespread
PowerBook, iBook, PowerMac, iMac, eMac, gsm, umts
( Last edited by f1000; Jan 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 08:31 PM

I'll update the above post to keep it current. Suggestions are welcome!

Krusty
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks, what experience have you had with the service ? My Cingular plan is ending in a couple of months and I'm thinking about upgrading to a snazzy new BT phone that I can use for these purposes.

What sort of speeds do you realistically get?
How reliable is the service?
Are there particular models of phone that seem to work better with the mac modem scripts ??

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 05:28 PM

I'll post some stats here next week. I'm hoping to get data from a variety of locales.

Krusty
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 05:49 PM

Great. You could always do a straight speed test from http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest . It'd be a good measure for comparison with landline high-speed. I was out of town on business 2 weeks ago and they issued us laptops with Verizon's service and it clocked about 27k down and 117k up (don't know why it was so much slower down, but it was consistently that way). I'd love to know how Cingular's service compares.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 07:07 AM

Speed Tests

Phone: Motorola V551 (Class 4 EDGE)
Computer: 12" PowerBook G4 (1 GHz Rev B)
OS X Version: 10.3.9
Tethering Method: Bluetooth® 1.2
Signal Strength: Maximum
Modem Script: Motorola 3G CID1
  1. Newark, DE (6/18/05):
    Upload: 38 kbps
    Download: 139 kbps
  2. Alexandria, VA (6/16/05):
    Download: 115 kbps
    Download: 145.6 kbps
  3. Washington, DC, U.S. Capitol Building (6/15/05):
    Download: 96 kbps
  4. Baltimore, MD, Inner Harbor (6/20/05):
    Upload: 36 kbps
    Download: 57 kbps

Phone: LG CU500 (Class 10 EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA)
Modem Script: Generic 3G CID1
  1. Austin, TX (8/18/07):
    Upload: 340 kbps
    Download: 592 kbps

Phone: LG CU500 (Class 10 EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA)
Modem Script: Generic HSDPA CID1
  1. Dulles International Airport (9/10/07):
    Upload: 231 kbps
    Download: 609 kbps
  2. Raleigh-Durham International Airport (9/7/07):
    Upload: 235 kbps
    Download: 603 kbps
  3. Alexandria, VA (10/3/07):
    Upload: 271 kbps
    Download: 554 kbps
  4. San Diego, CA ():
    Upload: 263 kbps
    Download: 548 kbps
( Last edited by f1000; May 8, 2008 at 05:54 PM. )

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 03:10 PM

Hey, thanks for the update. I was about 2 days away from bumping this thread.

I have a couple of questions that you may know the answer to.. Are we to assume that the MEdia Net Unlimited package is data-only and includes only pay-per-use instant messaging and multimedia messaging ? If so, what do you do if you want both data access for your computer and a MEdia Net bundle for your phone ... can both packages be bought simultaneously or are they mutually exclusive ? What happens if you bought, say MEdia Net "Works" plus Media Net Unlimited Acesss ... you're already theoretically paying for 5mb of access in the "Works" package ?

Also, Cingular seems to have some other data packages (Data Connect, Laptop connect) that have MUCH higher charges for unlimited use. Is this MEdia Net package using the same data network as those packages (I would assume yes, which is why this is such a good deal but it almost makes no sense for anyone to pay $79/month for unlimited laptop connect if they knew they could use the same network for 1/4 that cost simply by having and EDGE capable phone + bluetooth).

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
What happens if you bought, say MEdia Net "Works" plus Media Net Unlimited Acesss ... you're already theoretically paying for 5mb of access in the "Works" package?
I've been told by several customer service reps that MEdia Net and MEdia Net packages (i.e. Basic, Works) are mutually exclusive.

Cingular seems to have some other data packages (Data Connect, Laptop connect) that have MUCH higher charges for unlimited use. Is this MEdia Net package using the same data network as those packages (I would assume yes, which is why this is such a good deal but it almost makes no sense for anyone to pay $79/month for unlimited laptop connect if they knew they could use the same network for 1/4 that cost simply by having and EDGE capable phone + bluetooth).
It's my understanding that if you want to tether to a non-PDA phone, you must use the wap.cingular APN. Data Connect offers VPN and some other services, but isn't supposed to be significantly faster in terms of speed.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 08:52 AM

It took me several days to figure this out, but there's a system setting called net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize that controls download speeds for "slow link" connections (i.e., PPP). The default value for this variable is 8192 bytes, but this needs to be significantly increased in order to maximize EDGE download performance.
  1. First, use RMAC or some other method to create a startup script in your /Library/StartupItems folder.
  2. Next, use TextEdit to modify the startup script to make it look like the example script that I listed under item 6 in my first post. Save and restart.
  3. Figuring out the ideal value for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize involves doing some tweak testing. Initiate an EDGE phone connection and run the tweak test, and then follow the instructions at Broadband Reports.com to calculate the optimum RWIN value.
  4. Edit the startup script again to set net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize to your new optimum RWIN value. In my sample script, I highlighted my own optimum RWIN value in red. You may find that another value works better for you. Save and restart.
From my experimentation, I deduced that,
  • net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize = RWIN for PPP connections
  • net.inet.tcp.recvspace = RWIN for broadband connections
Adding this startup script increased my EDGE download speeds almost three-fold.
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 5, 2005 at 04:44 PM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 09:15 AM

What sort of speeds do you realistically get?
As you can see, I'm getting close to maximum theoretical EDGE speeds for a Class 4 device. 119 kbps is FAST! While wading through Howardsforum, I noticed that a lot of Mac users were complaining about slow EDGE download speeds. It's clear to me that none of them realized they had to adjust their system settings. Who can blame them? It took me hours of Googling and experimentation to figure out the solution to the problem. It'd be nice if somebody would post a man page for the each sysctl writable variable.

I tested out a theory of mine by successfully streaming a 96 kbps iTunes broadcast using my EDGE phone. Satellite radio and the iPod are both screwed.

I must admit that I hadn't realized the Motorola V551 wasn't a Class 10 device when I purchased it. I had simply assumed that it was.

How reliable is the service?
Rock solid.

Are there particular models of phone that seem to work better with the mac modem scripts ??
This is the only phone that I've tested. Maybe others can chime in.

EDIT: Maybe I'm not getting close to theoretical EDGE speeds. A Class 4 EDGE device is (3+1). This means that it has 3 download time slots each running at 59.2 kbps. 3 x 59.2 kbps = 177.6 kbps.
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 6, 2005 at 06:45 AM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 09:27 AM

I was out of town on business 2 weeks ago and they issued us laptops with Verizon's service and it clocked about 27k down and 117k up (don't know why it was so much slower down, but it was consistently that way).
I've noticed that some of the speed tests return absurd upload rates. I read somewhere that this is because the tests measure time incorrectly for Macs.

Try testing your Verizon service again using http://nyc.speakeasy.net/.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 11:44 PM

Cool, that's lots of good info. I think I would be disappointed without the RWIN tweaks you mentioned. How does one tell if a device is class 4, Class 10 etc ? I never see those specs listed on the phones I've looked at.

Also, I have an older SE R520m that has been gathering dust for a while. I actually got it to work a couple of days ago (EXTREMELY SLOW .. like 5k/20k .. but I think it only really handles GPRS even though I forced it to use GSM only). I also only get 2-3 bars in my house, so that may have had something to do with it. But, at least I have "the process" down (thanks to this thread) and feel confident I can get it to work when I get a newer phone.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 07:21 AM

Cool, that's lots of good info. I think I would be disappointed without the RWIN tweaks you mentioned. How does one tell if a device is class 4, Class 10 etc ? I never see those specs listed on the phones I've looked at.
The tweaks might even help you with your current Verizon phone, especially if you upgrade to a snazzier EVDO model. My startup script isn't Cingular or even GSM specific.

Phone Arena offers a pretty comprehensive filtering engine that can help you to quickly zero in on cell phones with the features that you want. Please note that Class 10 GPRS does not equal Class 10 EDGE. My Motorola V551, for example, is a Class 10 GPRS / Class 4 EDGE.

Also, I have an older SE R520m that has been gathering dust for a while. I actually got it to work a couple of days ago (EXTREMELY SLOW .. like 5k/20k .. but I think it only really handles GPRS even though I forced it to use GSM only). I also only get 2-3 bars in my house, so that may have had something to do with it.
I wish I had saved the benchmarks I had made for my t68i GPRS phone. I vaguely recall that data rates in Columbia, MD and Rahway, NJ were on the order of 30 kbps.

My understanding is that EDGE drops off quickly in speed the further away you are from a tower. I'm getting five bars of signal strength in the location that I'm currently in, but that doesn't mean that EDGE download speeds might not see improvement were I to move closer to a tower. I'll run some more tests in other cities in the upcoming weeks.

But, at least I have "the process" down (thanks to this thread) and feel confident I can get it to work when I get a newer phone.
CNET.com is my bandwidth meter of choice, but I'm glad that you persuaded me to run some tests from DSL Reports. The NSF server, while quirky, provided me with the first clues that low send and receive buffers were limiting my data rates. I'm still surprised that there isn't a single website that mentions the importance of net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize in controlling PPP data transfer rates.

I've said it many times before, but now I'm going to say it again. Apple, get rid of the built-in analog modem. I am never going to use a 56K landline modem again when I can get 236.8 kbps wirelessly using a Class 10 EDGE modem. I could sure use an SD Card or a PC Card slot in its place, though.

joren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 07:22 PM

Wow, there is great information here. I've been trying to use my phone as a modem for some time and this is the first time it's actually worked! Benching off cnet (download.com), I'm getting 56kbs right now. And my problem is I couldn't get RMAC to work. I couldn't find the file it created half and other times it would give me a "pearl_file_error". I'm working in Mac OS 10.4.1 (Tiger). So, can someone please walk me through how to use RMAC and how to find the script it creates a little more specifically?
Where is the file written?
Is it an invisible file?
How can I avoid the errors in RMAC?
Is there another way to do this if RMAC isn't working properly for me?

My apologies for my inexperience, but I'm probably not the only person with these problems.
Thanks
Joren

Edit: Okay, I got RMAC to write the script. I'm not sure how. I was fiddling with the permissions for /library and /library/StartupItems . But I'm not sure what I did exactly. I did a speed test from broadbandreports.com and got 88k down and 38k up without the startup script and 91k down and 40k up with the script configured exactly how it is in step 6 of the original post. I guess I have some major tweaking to do as I was expecting a larger jump than that. Well, I'm off to try to understand how this "tweaking" stuff works.
Thanks again for the great info. Any further guidance is appreciated.
( Last edited by joren; Jun 15, 2005 at 09:40 PM. )

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

f1000:

I'm curious how you got this to work. I'm a former AT&T customer still on AT&T (NBO - I have a FAN and a business account) with an unlocked Cingular branded Sony Ericsson S710a.

I'm able to get it tethered with the Taniwha scripts (I'm using "Sony Ericsson 3G CID1"), but only in (seemingly) GPRS mode - i.e. if I set things up and just use "proxy" for the "Telephone Number" and leave everything else in the Bluetooth setup blank (more or less), it'll connect and set up PPP and it "works" - but my throughput on downloads is horrible, like around 2-4 Kbytes/sec. Clearly I'm not getting EDGE speeds.

I then tried stuff like using "wap.cingular" for the phone number and the various Cingular-specific settings (Account name "[email protected]", Password "CINGULAR1", etc.), but once I do that, it stops working - after the PPP CHAP negotation (which succeeds - with "Congratulations!"), the other end says to drop the connection, which it does. No variant on these Account Name/Password/Telephone Number entries seems to work unless I use the non-EDGE "proxy" setting

When it does work (via "proxy"), the log looks like this:
Code:
[...] Wed Jun 15 14:42:28 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.SonyEricssonS710a Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x7e3e208c> <pcomp> <accomp>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <auth pap> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xd997348c>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFREJ. Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 <auth pap>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x7e3e208c> <pcomp> <accomp>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x4 <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xd997348c>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK. Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x4 <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xd997348c>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 2005 : rcvd [IPCP TermAck id=0x1] Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1] Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : ipcp: returning Configure-NAK Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2] Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : ipcp: returning Configure-ACK Wed Jun 15 14:42:31 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2] Wed Jun 15 14:42:32 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:32 2005 : rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 10.88.212.242>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:32 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 10.88.212.242>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:32 2005 : rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr 10.88.212.242>] Wed Jun 15 14:42:32 2005 : ipcp: up [...]
When I try to use the Cingular logins (as mentioned in your original post), it tries to do PAP and "succeeds", but then the other side immediately tells it to drop the connection:
Code:
[...] [...] Wed Jun 15 14:48:03 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.SonyEricssonS710a Wed Jun 15 14:48:04 2005 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4fbff23b> <pcomp> <accomp>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:04 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <auth pap> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xde44335b>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:04 2005 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK. Wed Jun 15 14:48:04 2005 : sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 <auth pap> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xde44335b>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:04 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4fbff23b> <pcomp> <accomp>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:05 2005 : sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="[email protected]" password=<hidden>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:05 2005 : rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 "Congratulations!"] Wed Jun 15 14:48:05 2005 : Remote message: Congratulations! Wed Jun 15 14:48:05 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>] Wed Jun 15 14:48:06 2005 : rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1] Wed Jun 15 14:48:06 2005 : LCP terminated by peer Wed Jun 15 14:48:06 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP) [...]
No idea why the "WAP.CINGULAR" settings work for your V551 but not for my S710a ...

One thing I'd also like to note - I couldn't get anything to work until I ran Bluetooth Serial Utility and created an Outgoing serial port and connected it to the "Dial-up Networking" Service inside the phone ... dunno if that's why I can only connect via GPRS or not, but that's the only way I could get anything to work. Did you (f1000) also have to create this same Bluetooth serial port?

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by joren
Wow, there is great information here. I've been trying to use my phone as a modem for some time and this is the first time it's actually worked!
Hi joren, welcome to MacNN! I'm glad that you found my instructions useful. I regret, though, that I did not properly source all the websites from which I gleaned information. I've been refining my instructions based on real-world testing, and I think that I've pretty much maximized whatever performance I'm going to get out of my particular setup.

Okay, I got RMAC to write the script. I'm not sure how. I was fiddling with the permissions for /library and /library/StartupItems . But I'm not sure what I did exactly. I did a speed test from broadbandreports.com and got 88k down and 38k up without the startup script and 91k down and 40k up with the script configured exactly how it is in step 6 of the original post. I guess I have some major tweaking to do as I was expecting a larger jump than that. Well, I'm off to try to understand how this "tweaking" stuff works.
Thanks again for the great info. Any further guidance is appreciated.
I'm still using Mac OS 10.3, so I don’t know if my instructions apply verbatim to Mac OS 10.4. RMAC may in fact be incompatible with 10.4.

You don't need to use RMAC to create the startup script. There are alternative applications that you can use to create a basic script. Moreover, if you're good at Unixese you can create the script by hand.

The value that I assign to net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize in my sample script was based on tweak tests of my own setup. You'll probably have to adjust this value for your particular setup. It's possible that Apple has already adjusted this value in 10.4, in which case further tweaking by you may not improve your performance.

Can you run an experiment for me?

1. Temporarily remove the startup script from the StartupItems folder
2. Reboot
3. Start a Terminal session
4. Type in sysctl –a and press return
5. Post the value that is returned for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize
6. Return the startup script to your StartupItems folder and reboot.

Also, and this is very important, can you post your location, upload/download speeds, and the particular speed test that you used? List speeds in kbps (kilobits per second), and run each test with maximal signal strength. Try to run speed tests from several servers that are close to you, and run each one twice to ensure best results.
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 17, 2005 at 01:46 PM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
I'm curious how you got this to work. I'm a former AT&T customer still on AT&T (NBO - I have a FAN and a business account) with an unlocked Cingular branded Sony Ericsson S710a.
I migrated over to Cingular from AT&T. You may have to migrate as well before you can use your Cingular-branded S710a with EDGE, but I'm just speculating.

I'm able to get it tethered with the Taniwha scripts (I'm using "Sony Ericsson 3G CID1"), but only in (seemingly) GPRS mode - i.e. if I set things up and just use "proxy" for the "Telephone Number" and leave everything else in the Bluetooth setup blank (more or less), it'll connect and set up PPP and it "works" - but my throughput on downloads is horrible, like around 2-4 Kbytes/sec. Clearly I'm not getting EDGE speeds.
Do you see an EDGE indicator on your phone? On my phone, it's a little 'E' between the signal meter and the Bluetooth indicator. Also, have you signed up for a Media Net package?

One thing I'd also like to note - I couldn't get anything to work until I ran Bluetooth Serial Utility and created an Outgoing serial port and connected it to the "Dial-up Networking" Service inside the phone ... dunno if that's why I can only connect via GPRS or not, but that's the only way I could get anything to work. Did you (f1000) also have to create this same Bluetooth serial port?
This sounds to be your problem. Delete the serial port and run Set up Bluetooth Device... instead.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 04:12 PM

I should like to note that Cingular experienced some major network problems throughout the country last week (6/8-6/15), from New York to California. Media Net worked slowly on the phone, but not when tethered to my PowerBook. Cingular seems to have fixed the problem as of yesterday.

joren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 06:53 PM

With the RCMAC script removed, Tiger's net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . But here's the confusing part for me: with the script running with the identical settings as are in #6 of your first post, when I run the tweak tester test, it says my tweakable settings (in the top left green box) Receive Window (RWIN) is 263536 . Now that is not very close to the slowlink_wsize setting, but it is very close to your recvspace setting. Could it be that the RWIN is not slowlink_wsize? I really don't know what I'm talking about, but it seemed a bit odd.

I am definitely not a "terminal" kind of guy (I'm willing to learn), but to modify and move around the RMAC script in the GUI, you have to give yourself permissions for both /library/statupitems/ and /library/statupitems/RMAC . Then, you have to restart once, where the OS will freak out that the permission were changed, tell the OS to fix the permissions, and restart again. It's a little bit of a pain.

In my excitement, I realize I didn't relay all the important information in my last post. apologies. I promise to be more scientific from now on.
I have a Powerbook G4 with OS 10.4.1
moto v551 connected over bluetooth with full bars of service and cingular service
All the TCP/IP and PPP settings are per your first post.
The speed tests were done in Los Angeles, to the Los Angeles broadbandreports.com speed test server. and they were reported in kilobits per second.

So, how should I go about tweaking? I used the RWIN calculator (and did my own calculations based on the broadband reports FAQ) and found my optimal RWIN to be 37960. But I'm not really sure what I should be putting as my optimal speed setting. Why is your RWIN much larger?

Also, what kind of speeds should I expect to be getting? Am I doing okay at around 80kbbs down and 30 kbbs up? I was hoping (or dreaming) for double that.

Well, this has been super informative and I sure have learned a lot in the last two days. One lesson I learned the hard way was to sign up for MediaNet Unlimited right away. After just doing my tests yesterday, I already charged 40 bucks in transfer. Ouch.

joren
So, after I put the script back in /library/StartupItems/ and rebooted, I entered "sysctl -a" in Terminal and I got the exact same reading for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . So now I'm at a loss. The script must not be working. Could you suggest another way (or point me to the correct instruction) on how to change these values. I really know nothing about terminal and Unix, but I follow instructions really well.
( Last edited by joren; Jun 16, 2005 at 07:16 PM. )

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
I migrated over to Cingular from AT&T. You may have to migrate as well before you can use your Cingular-branded S710a with EDGE, but I'm just speculating.
I haven't migrated ... I've still got an AT&T/Cingular Blue business account through NBO.
Do you see an EDGE indicator on your phone? On my phone, it's a little 'E' between the signal meter and the Bluetooth indicator. Also, have you signed up for a Media Net package?
No EDGE indicator on my S710a that I can find ... not sure it indicates it as such.

And no, I didn't sign up for MediaNet - I'm still on an AT&T plan with 4 Mb/month of mMode. (I used to be able to bring up mMode from the Cingular "splat" key on the phone, but I broke that in my testing of the tethering ... arrrgh.)
This sounds to be your problem. Delete the serial port and run Set up Bluetooth Device... instead.
OK, I'll try that again ... but I had the phone in my Bluetooth devices before (I'm able to send and receive files from it just fine), and yet ... nothing worked (modem-wise, that is). I'll give it a go-round one more time ...

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 12:09 PM

OK, I'll try that again ... but I had the phone in my Bluetooth devices before (I'm able to send and receive files from it just fine), and yet ... nothing worked (modem-wise, that is). I'll give it a go-round one more time ...
Nope, still doesn't work ... I added the S710a via Set up Bluetooth device but it still doesn't work:
Code:
Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLWrite : AT\13 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLWrite : AT+CGMI\13 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLMatched : Ericsson Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLWrite : AT&FE0S0=0\13 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLWrite : AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"\13 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : Making network connection Fri Jun 17 08:58:15 2005 : CCLWrite : ATD*99***1#\13 Fri Jun 17 08:58:16 2005 : CCLMatched : CONNECT Fri Jun 17 08:58:21 2005 : Serial connection established. Fri Jun 17 08:58:21 2005 : using link 0 Fri Jun 17 08:58:21 2005 : Using interface ppp0 Fri Jun 17 08:58:21 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4e3f4b8e> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <auth chap MD5> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9511e808>] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK. Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 <auth chap MD5> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9511e808>] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4e3f4b8e> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x0 <95f473595d1c4afe9abbe1e1f80a8f0470033df942abc00eb222f938826baebb32fc279ffa0588d38381f21e69fd58c9722b210e8b26823f86839ab6>, name = "Kermit"] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : sent [CHAP Response id=0x0 <2aca288ddb48c29a6a28fb93e17229c5>, name = "[email protected]"] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x0 "Congratulations!"] Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : Remote message: Congratulations! Fri Jun 17 08:58:22 2005 : sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0>] Fri Jun 17 08:58:24 2005 : rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1] Fri Jun 17 08:58:24 2005 : LCP terminated by peer Fri Jun 17 08:58:24 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP) Fri Jun 17 08:58:24 2005 : Modem hangup Fri Jun 17 08:58:24 2005 : Connection terminated.
Tried my "proxy" (only; no Username/Password) entry that works when it's used as a modem; that didn't work either:
Code:
Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLWrite : AT\13 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLWrite : AT+CGMI\13 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLMatched : Ericsson Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLWrite : AT&FE0S0=0\13 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLWrite : AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","proxy"\13 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10 Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : Making network connection Fri Jun 17 09:01:21 2005 : CCLWrite : ATD*99***1#\13 Fri Jun 17 09:01:22 2005 : CCLMatched : CONNECT Fri Jun 17 09:01:27 2005 : Serial connection established. Fri Jun 17 09:01:27 2005 : using link 0 Fri Jun 17 09:01:27 2005 : Using interface ppp0 Fri Jun 17 09:01:27 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem Fri Jun 17 09:01:28 2005 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf4fda69> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:28 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <auth chap MD5> <accomp> <pcomp> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xeac5fe54>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:28 2005 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFREJ. Fri Jun 17 09:01:28 2005 : sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 <auth chap MD5>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:28 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf4fda69> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:31 2005 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf4fda69> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:31 2005 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf4fda69> <pcomp> <accomp>] Fri Jun 17 09:01:31 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP) Fri Jun 17 09:01:31 2005 : Modem hangup Fri Jun 17 09:01:31 2005 : Connection terminated.
I'm beginning to wonder if my lack of MEdiaNet is causing the remote end to reject me ... ?

(If I click on the "MEdia Net" button in the phone, it says Loading for about a minute, then returns "Communication error" eventually.)

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:16 PM

With the RCMAC script removed, Tiger's net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . But here's the confusing part for me: with the script running with the identical settings as are in #6 of your first post, when I run the tweak tester test, it says my tweakable settings (in the top left green box) Receive Window (RWIN) is 263536 . Now that is not very close to the slowlink_wsize setting, but it is very close to your recvspace setting. Could it be that the RWIN is not slowlink_wsize? I really don't know what I'm talking about, but it seemed a bit odd.
Make sure that you run the tweak test with all other network connections disabled. The easiest way to accomplish this is to unplug Ethernet and turn off Wi-Fi. At the very least, make sure that you demote any other active network connections with respect to Bluetooth.

I am definitely not a "terminal" kind of guy (I'm willing to learn), but to modify and move around the RMAC script in the GUI, you have to give yourself permissions for both /library/statupitems/ and /library/statupitems/RMAC . Then, you have to restart once, where the OS will freak out that the permission were changed, tell the OS to fix the permissions, and restart again. It's a little bit of a pain.
I haven’t noticed this problem on my computer. Maybe it’s specific to Tiger?

In my excitement, I realize I didn't relay all the important information in my last post. apologies. I promise to be more scientific from now on.
I have a Powerbook G4 with OS 10.4.1
moto v551 connected over bluetooth with full bars of service and cingular service
All the TCP/IP and PPP settings are per your first post.
The speed tests were done in Los Angeles, to the Los Angeles broadbandreports.com speed test server. and they were reported in kilobits per second.
Thanks a mucho! You can learn how I pretty-print my Speed Tests by replying to it. That’ll show you how to use vb code to format your post.

I’ll post later with ideas on how to optimize your system. By the way, keep checking my initial post, as well as my speed test post, for updates.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:40 PM

Theoretical EDGE Performance

EDGE Class 4 (3+1)
3 downstream time slots = 3 * 59.2 kbps = 177.6 kbps
1 upstream time slot = 1 * 59.2 kbps = 59.2 kbps
EDGE Class 10 (4+1 OR 3+2)
4 downstream time slots = 4 * 59.2 kbps = 236.8 kbps
1 upstream time slot = 1 * 59.2 kbps = 59.2 kbps
Actual EDGE performance depends on several factors: 1) the number of time slots available, 2) the channel coding scheme (MCS) used, 3) network congestion.
  • Voice has priority over data. Depending on the number of users, a tower may not allocate the maximum number of time slots available to an EDGE phone.
  • Channel coding schemes depend on signal quality. Distance and interference can cause a tower to fall back to a slower channel coding scheme.
  • Network congestion can vary during the day.

For these reasons and others, Cingular claims throughput of only 75-135 kbps, with burst speeds of up to 170 kbps. You can see that in Alexandria, I recently recorded a download rate of 145.6 kbps.

http://www.ieee.or.com/Archive/TDMA3G4G.pdf

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:48 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if my lack of MEdiaNet is causing the remote end to reject me ... ?

(If I click on the "MEdia Net" button in the phone, it says Loading for about a minute, then returns "Communication error" eventually.)
My instructions are for Cingular customers who have MEdia Net added to their account. I know that if you are a Cingular customer, you won't be able to use the phone's browser until you have MEdia Net activated. You also won't see the 'E' indicator.

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 04:39 PM

f1000, how much bandwidth have you pushed through Cingular? I've heard that they send you a large bill if your bandwidth is too high. Something along the lines of 100+ megs.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrpuddles
f1000, how much bandwidth have you pushed through Cingular? I've heard that they send you a large bill if your bandwidth is too high. Something along the lines of 100+ megs.
This is what Cingular says about the subject:
MEdia Net packages are not intended for tethering. Cingular reserves the right to remove customers from MEdia Net packages for the use of a wireless device as an interface to other devices or networks, as determined by Cingular, including but not limited to device tethering.
I used 11 Mb in one week last month and I expect that I will use about 60 Mb/month from this point on. If there is such a cap, then I probably won't bump up against it.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 06:48 PM

My instructions are for Cingular customers who have MEdia Net added to their account. I know that if you are a Cingular customer, you won't be able to use the phone's browser until you have MEdia Net activated. You also won't see the 'E' indicator.
The straight tethering works fine though .. whether or not you have a MEdia Net package. They just charge you a per kilobyte rate of 1 cent/kb. This is stated on their site somewhere and I can verify since I was able to tether and I don't yet have a package. Crazy thing is, I did a couple of speed tests and surfed a couple of pages and it cost me over $7

Its just like their messaging, you can use it without a plan, it just costs an arm-and-a-leg in per unit charges.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 06:53 PM

The straight tethering works fine though .. whether or not you have a MEdia Net package. They just charge you a per kilobyte rate of 1 cent/kb. This is stated on their site somewhere and I can verify since I was able to tether and I don't yet have a package. Crazy thing is, I did a couple of speed tests and surfed a couple of pages and it cost me over $7
That's usually true; however, I can tell you from personal experience that it's not always true. My account didn't have PPU (pay per use) on it even though all the customer service reps insisted that it did. It's only after I got in contact with the Internet service people that I had MEdia Net installed AND GPRS activated on my new phone. I think the confusion had something to do with the fact that I migrated from AT&T. Just to be on the safe side, it's smart to get MEdia Net unlimited before doing any fiddling with settings.

Its just like their messaging, you can use it without a plan, it just costs an arm-and-a-leg in per unit charges.
Tell me about it. I used to be on AT&T Mmode.

EDIT: To clarify things a bit further, if you don't add a MEdia Net package or bundle to your account, then you're usually put on MEdia Net PPU (pay per use). In some situations, though, MEdia Net isn't activated at all.
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 17, 2005 at 07:36 PM. )

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 07:31 PM

f1000 thank you for the tethering info. I have the same phone and this will come in handy. Please keep us updated w/ your experience.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 09:52 PM

So, how should I go about tweaking? I used the RWIN calculator (and did my own calculations based on the broadband reports FAQ) and found my optimal RWIN to be 37960. But I'm not really sure what I should be putting as my optimal speed setting. Why is your RWIN much larger?

Edit:
So, after I put the script back in /library/StartupItems/ and rebooted, I entered "sysctl -a" in Terminal and I got the exact same reading for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . So now I'm at a loss. The script must not be working. Could you suggest another way (or point me to the correct instruction) on how to change these values. I really know nothing about terminal and Unix, but I follow instructions really well.
1. Delete the RMAC folder from the StartupItems folder and run RMAC again.

2. After you’ve rebooted your Mac with a new startup script, start a Terminal session and run sysctl to make sure that the script has changed all relevant variables.

3. Connect to the internet using your cell phone.

4. Run the following speed test: http://netspeed.stanford.edu/

5. Click More Details… Your receive buffer should be approximately 105.5 Kbytes, not 8 Kbytes.

6. Run the tweak test.

7. Click more detail… at the bottom of the page.

8. Post the url for your results. The url follows the sentence: Still stuck? copy/paste this url:

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:30 PM

That's usually true; however, I can tell you from personal experience that it's not always true. My account didn't have PPU (pay per use) on it even though all the customer service reps insisted that it did. It's only after I got in contact with the Internet service people that I had MEdia Net installed AND GPRS activated on my new phone. I think the confusion had something to do with the fact that I migrated from AT&T. Just to be on the safe side, it's smart to get MEdia Net unlimited before doing any fiddling with settings.
That could be it .. I was Cingular from the get-go and had one of their phones which most likely had PPU settings pre-loaded into the phone. I'm actually planning on just sucking up the PPU expense and confirming that I get good speeds in the areas I where I spend most of my time before committing to a package ... no sense in getting an unlimited package if I can't really get the EDGE speeds I'm looking for.

I actually love my cheap-o Nokia 6340i in almost every way ... just doesn't have BT, so that kills the deal. I have an ugly-@ss SE R520m bought 3rd party (not sold with packages in the US ... it was a Europe-only model) that had EVERYTHING (minus the color screen, camera, new stuff) and literally had 30 days standby and 25 hrs talk time with this ridiculous battery I put on its back. But, I really prefer the Nokia OS so much more, the dedicated power switch on the top of the phone, and the more standard charger/headset ports. I'd love to go Nokia again with whatever new phone I get but the ones that are compatible with iSync just aren't my cup of tea. If they could get support for the 6230i (NOT the 6230 currently offered at Cingular) in iSync, I'd buy one in a heartbeat (but it won't happen .. it runs the 40 series OS which I doubt iSync will EVER support). Otherwise, I consider it the perfect phone -- 1.3mpix camera, BT, USB port, Class 10 EDGE and GPRS, MP3/AAC player, and a user upgradeable memory card .. all in a small package that looks and acts like a "normal" phone -- not one of those ridiculous PDA-phone things.

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 12:48 PM

The straight tethering works fine though .. whether or not you have a MEdia Net package. They just charge you a per kilobyte rate of 1 cent/kb. This is stated on their site somewhere and I can verify since I was able to tether and I don't yet have a package.
So you're saying you don't have MEdia Net, but are still able to tether? (Using f1000's instructions?)

I don't get it, no matter what I do, if I use any of the WAP.CINGULAR/ISP.CINGULAR settings, the other side drops the connection on me. If I use "proxy" then it works, but as I've mentioned, I only get GPRS speeds ... are you getting EDGE speeds, Krusty?

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 01:21 PM

So you're saying you don't have MEdia Net, but are still able to tether? (Using f1000's instructions?)

I don't get it, no matter what I do, if I use any of the WAP.CINGULAR/ISP.CINGULAR settings, the other side drops the connection on me. If I use "proxy" then it works, but as I've mentioned, I only get GPRS speeds ... are you getting EDGE speeds, Krusty?
All Cingular customers will have access to MEdia Net PPU (pay per use) even if they don't add a MEdia Net package or bundle to their account.* As an AT&T customer, you probably won't ever have access to MEdia NET of any variety. AT&T does not equal Cingular.

* As I mentioned earlier, Cingular might not automatically activate MEdia Net PPU for people migrating over from AT&T.

joren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 04:17 PM

I followed your instructions. And in addition, I copy/pasted YOUR optimized settings from #6 in your first post. I checked in terminal and the script did change the settings this time.

Here is the stanford speed test results. When I clicked on more details, it only showed me this:
WEB100 Kernel Variables:
Client: localhost/127.0.0.1

But the speed test, gave me this:
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 184.15Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 35.26kb/s

click START to re-test
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 231.12Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 47.37kb/s

I assure you all other TCP/IP connections are closed (no modem/ethernet/wifi).

Thank so much for helping me out with this. I'm learning so much.
joren

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 04:54 PM

Variables:
RTTavg = 3389.4 ms
Speed = 177.6 kbps for an EDGE Class 4 device
MSS = 1460
Calculations:
1) RTTavg x 1.5 x Speed / 8
3389.4 x 1.5 x 177.6 / 8 = 112867.02
2) Divide this value by MSS
112867.02 / 1460 = 77.31
3) Round up to the next even number
4) Multiply this number by MSS
78 x 1460 = 113880
RWIN:
113880 Is your optimal RWIN. Assign this value to net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize in your startup script and reboot.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 05:03 PM

The tweak test showed my RWIN at 263536. But it showed my speed significantly slower than the stanford test (I do realize this isn't a speed test).
Ignore the RWIN value shown by the tweak test. Run the Stanford test again and confirm that your receive buffer size is identical to the value you entered for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize.

Run the following speed test twice. Post the highest KB/sec that you notice in the Download window.

tangus999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 06:41 PM

f1000 thanks a ton for the settings! i for the life of me couldn't get my phone to teether.
i used the edge modem script cid 1
followed your instructions/settings and got on no problem minus the rmac part.

but since i couldn't get rmac to work on tiger i took the rmac startupitems folder from a 10.3.9 os computer and put them in my 10.4.1 startupitems files the phone wouldn't teether anymore
i didn't try to get it to teether on the 10.3 bc i got it going on 10.4 just a little slow 12kbps up and 37kbps down

my set up: mac mini/powerbook
s710a
cingular
media net unlimited
bluetooth dlink
modem script 3G CID 1
and the settings above in bluetooth setup and network preferences

now that i can get online, anyone have any idea how to get better speeds on tiger?
and is the 2 mb limit only for gprs on wap?
anyoen know any of this?

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tangus999
but since i couldn't get rmac to work on tiger i took the rmac startupitems folder from a 10.3.9 os computer and put them in my 10.4.1 startupitems files the phone wouldn't teether anymore.
If you can't get RMAC to run on either of your Macs, try using Broadband Optimizer instead.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 10:56 PM

I do not have MEdia Net. Moreover, the phone with which I had success with was not a phone model that Cingular had ever offered (it was an "unlocked" European model) but I assume I had the proper settings pre-built into the SIM card for access to PPU service.

No, I don't get EDGE speeds, I get speeds on the slow end for GPRS (of course, I've only speed tested 2 or 3 times and I haven't tried any tweaks). I bought the SE R520m in early 2003 after it was already old news (released at least in 2002 or maybe even earlier) and, to my knowledge, doesn't support EDGE at all (GPRS only) .. which is not a problem for me, I just used it to test my ability to connect. Also, I've been using the "Sony Ericsson 3G CID5" script. You should also note that Cingular has GPRS in all of their coverage are but EDGE only in most "core" areas. If you live in the fringe of a service area you may only have GPRS available.

Also, I can confirm f1000's answer to an earlier question of mine. I spoke with a Cingular rep the other day and he stated that MEdia net packages are mutually exclusive from bundles (i.e. you can't buy "unlimited" and then supplement with a "Basic" or "Works" bundle). If you go with unlimited, you must buy text and multimedia messaging as separate additions or use those features on a PPU basis.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 07:41 PM

Well, I just upgraded my phone to a Nokia 6230 Class 10 EDGE and Class 10 GPRS phone. I just slapped in the optimizations listed above for the the class 4 device and got what I consider a reasonable 112k down, 47 up. I held my phone at a funny angle so it showed full reception. So, hopefully with some tweaking, I can get those speeds up to a pretty decent range. Have to say though, I'm pretty happy with the more-than-double-of-dial-up speeds out of the box. It just freakin' amazes me that I can use this literally anywhere.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 10:11 PM

Tweaking Tips
  1. Tweak during hours when few people are likely to be using their cell phones.
  2. Make sure that your cell phone is receiving the maximum bars of signal.
  3. Turn off all other Bluetooth® devices.

GPRS has high latency; thus, speed tests that use small download files tend to underreport steady-state download speeds. The best way to speed test a GPRS connection is to download a relatively large file (1 MB), recording the instantaneous transfer rate as time progresses.

I've recorded steady-state download speeds of over 140 kbps, with burst rates of over 170 kbps (the maximum possible for a Class 4 EDGE device). Unfortunately, Internet browsing involves the frequent transfer of small files; hence, latency will make the connection seem slower than it actually is.

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 10:34 PM

Krusty,

If you're now on a Class 10 device (I think my S710a is the same) but you are not signed up for MEdia Net, could you shoot me (via PM, or reply here) your settings? The Conspiracy Theorist in me still wants to believe I can only get GPRS speeds in my setup because I'm on the AT&T/Cingular Blue side; but your "I'm not on MEdia Net" claim makes me wonder whether that's just a crutch I'm using or not.

In particular, I'd be interested to know if your Mac-side setup uses "proxy" for the connection or if you are using the "WAP.CINGULAR" or "ISP.CINGULAR" with "CINGULAR1" password settings as described in various places. I'd also be *really* keen to see a verbose Connection Log (as in my posts above) from Internet Connect when you make your now-wonderful 112Kb/47Kb connections through the phone.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 10:49 PM

In particular, I'd be interested to know if your Mac-side setup uses "proxy" for the connection or if you are using the "WAP.CINGULAR" or "ISP.CINGULAR" with "CINGULAR1" password settings as described in various places. I'd also be *really* keen to see a verbose Connection Log (as in my posts above) from Internet Connect when you make your now-wonderful 112Kb/47Kb connections through the phone.
I could only use the proxy APN when I was on Cingular Blue (AT&T).

Cingular's MEdia Net comes in three flavors:
  • MEdia Net Packages (1 MB, 5 MB, 10 MB, Unlimited)
  • MEdia Net Bundles (Basic, Works)
  • MEdia Net PPU (Pay-Per-Use)
All new Cingular customers have MEdia Net PPU included in their accounts. This is what Krusty had when he first signed up to Cingular.

Cingular Blue (AT&T) customers, such as myself, who migrate over to Cingular Orange may not have any version of MEdia Net included in their accounts; not even MEdia Net PPU. I couldn't use any of Cingular's WAP services, even on the phone, until I asked customer service to activate it for me.
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 21, 2005 at 11:13 PM. )

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 11:20 PM

I could only use the proxy APN when I was on Cingular Blue (AT&T).

Cingular's MEdia Net comes in three flavors:
  • MEdia Net Packages (1 MB, 5 MB, 10 MB, Unlimited)
  • MEdia Net Bundles (Basic, Works)
  • MEdia Net PPU (Pay-Per-Use)
All new Cingular customers have MEdia Net PPU included in their accounts. This is what Krusty had when he first signed up to Cingular.

Cingular Blue (AT&T) customers, such as myself, who migrate over to Cingular Orange may not have any version of MEdia Net included in their accounts; not even MEdia Net PPU. I couldn't use any of Cingular's WAP services, even on the phone, until I asked customer service to activate it for me.
So, what's probably happening to me is that I can't even use the "MEdia Net PPU", my side either sends my phone number across (or some other identifer that uniquely identifies my phone number/account or somesuch) and the other end does some sort of lookup and decides that I'm not a valid customer as such, and rejects me (thus dropping the link negotiation). Oui?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 12:54 AM

Riot Nrrd. My Settings are exactly as shown in item #5 of f1000's first post (at least on the Mac end). Now, on the phone end, you may have to change some settings in your phone (for example, my "GPRS Access Point" in my phone is set to isp.cingular thought I don't use that information anywhere in my Mac setup.

Best advice I can give is to look at your connectivity settings in your phone itself .. they probably default to AT&T specific settings so you may have to change them to the appropriate Cingular settings. Find a friend with Cingular and copy what they have OR just go to a Cingular store and tell them your story (new customer from AT & T, etc.). I hear that they will help customers setup 3rd party phones etc. (Honestly, why wouldn't they ... even if you don't sign up for MEdiaNet plan, they can still make lucrative PPU charges off of you if you get your phone set up right).

I wish I could remember now what it was, but I seem to recall having the same problem you did initially with my SE R520m. I can't remember what the trick was to get it working though. I think it was something like choosing the 3G Sony Ericsson CID1 script instead of the GPRS R520m scripts that were "supposed" to work with my phone.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 11:51 AM

Slightly off topic:

Is this GPRS/EDGE the same as the wireless broadband internet access that my Verizon wireless guys have been trying to sell me for $80/mo??

I got the impression Cingular's EDGE required a PCMIA card for data only?

Thanks for any clarification.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NewOldbie
Slightly off topic:

Is this GPRS/EDGE the same as the wireless broadband internet access that my Verizon wireless guys have been trying to sell me for $80/mo??
In a word, no.

Verizon = CDMA
Cingular = GSM

EV-DO is Verizon's 3g solution.
EDGE is Cingular's stop-gap solution to 3g.

UMTS will be Cingular's 3g equivalent to EV-DO. UMTS is already available in several cities; by the end of this year, UMTS will be rolled out in a total of 18 cities. Unfortunately, UMTS won't reach the rest of the country until 2007.

While EDGE is a slower 2.5g technology, it's currently available throughout the country.

I got the impression Cingular's EDGE required a PCMIA card for data only?
You can tether to an EDGE phone or PDA via a cable or Bluetooth®, as described in this thread.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 04:12 PM

In a word, no.

EV-DO is Verizon's 3g solution.
EDGE is Cingular's stop-gap solution to 3g.

UMTS will be Cingular's 3g equivalent to EV-DO. UMTS is already available in several cities; by the end of this year, UMTS will be rolled out in a total of 18 cities. Unfortunately, UMTS won't reach the rest of the country until 2007.

While EDGE is a slower 2.5g technology, it's currently available throughout the country.
That's what I wanted to know. I use cable at home but when I travel I have been out of luck unless I can find a WiFi hotspot. Now that I've upgraded my cell phone I was looking at a way to eliminate my cable modem at home.

Verizon's 3G system would have done it for me except I need broadband access on the home computers even while I am on the road with my PB (somehow I have a feeling there is no single solution here, I'm going to have to have both types of services).

But at least for now, I can use the GPRS/EDGE for remote access until UMTS is out. From speaking to Cingular reps it seems this service is available now. I guess I need to take another look at the coverage areas.

Thanks for your efforts working out the scripts/settings for teathering. I played with it last night and it is a go.

------

Does anyone know how to set up a bluetooth phone (Motorola Razr) to DIAL INTO an old fashioned network ala Roadrunner/university dial-up access? GPRS/EDGE is faster but I like to have a backup/contingency plan.

I have had no luck thus far.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by NewOldbie
Does anyone know how to set up a bluetooth phone (Motorola Razr) to DIAL INTO an old fashioned network ala Roadrunner/university dial-up access? GPRS/EDGE is faster but I like to have a backup/contingency plan.
I don't believe that the Motorola RAZR has a built-in analog modem.

EDIT: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=255643
( Last edited by f1000; Jun 22, 2005 at 05:21 PM. )

donniegood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 07:58 PM

edge is not available throughout the entire country it is only in edge markets, I am in ft. hood texas right now it isnt available here nor is it available in my area of michigan the closet place to me with it in michigan is metro detroit

Forum Links
Forum Rules