Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth

Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth (Page 2)
f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by donniegood
edge is not available throughout the entire country it is only in edge markets, I am in ft. hood texas right now it isnt available here nor is it available in my area of michigan the closet place to me with it in michigan is metro detroit
EDGE is available almost everywhere Cingular GPRS service is available. That's close enough to national coverage for me, and it's a far cry from EV-DO, UTMS, or Wi-Fi availability.

EDGE Coverage

EV-DO Coverage

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
I don't believe that the Motorola RAZR has a built-in analog modem.

EDIT: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=255643
Okay, for academic purposes . . . how about using it as a phone to dial out?

If I hook it up to my PB using USB cable, use the internal modem to access the phone and dial out, it should work no?

I'll see if I can tinker with it this weekend.

Anybody got tips??
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by NewOldbie
Okay, for academic purposes . . . how about using it as a phone to dial out?

If I hook it up to my PB using USB cable, use the internal modem to access the phone and dial out, it should work no?
How would your internal modem be able to communicate with your cell phone via the USB cable? The internal modem interacts with a telephone line via its RJ-11 jack.

You'd probably need to acousto-couple the RJ-11 jack to the RAZR headphone input. After you had accomplished this, you'd then need to figure out a way to initiate a connection.

Maybe someone can provide you with more helpful tips if you post a specific thread on this.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 10:32 PM

You'd probably need to acousto-couple the RJ-11 jack to the RAZR headphone input. After you had accomplished this, you'd then need to figure out a way to initiate a connection.
So 22 - 25 years AFTER we got rid of acustic coupler modems I'm going to have to dig it out of my garage?!?!

Thanks tho, I'll start a different thread for the cell phone gearheads instead of taking things further off topic

Voltaire

Rhomboid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 05:20 PM

f1000 Bueller, you're my hero. 8)

I'm running Tiger on a Powerbook 1.2GHz and using a V551.
I've got Cingular with the unlimited data plan.

Right now, in the afternoon in an area that I'm fairly sure is quite busy (Bellevue, WA) I'm getting about 115kbps down and 29kbps up according to DSLReports' speed test. Better than the 5.7kbps I was getting before finding this forum, heh.

The keys for me were:

- Get the 3G scripts from http://www.taniwha.org.uk
- Change the sysctl settings, still tweaking here

I also created a Network Location called "v551" in System Preferences -> Network. This was more of an aesthetic/organizational thing for me. I can just select that location, "apply", and I'm connecting.

Being a BSD guy, I also just created a /etc/sysctl.conf with the sysctl settings so they're loaded on startup without having to use a third party utility or going into /Library/StartUpItems. I also hear that this method of running items on startup is now depreciated in favor of the new launchd system:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/5
( Last edited by Rhomboid; Jun 23, 2005 at 05:30 PM. )

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2005, 01:28 AM

I'm tweaking my settings:

Using your settings:

$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144"
$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144"
$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040"
$SYSCTL "kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152"
$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.newreno=1"

I'm getting

DL=27kbps
UL=18kbps

Am running Motorola 3G CID1
on a 17" Rev A AL Book 10.3.9
Motorola Razr V3

Waiting for tweak test to be available to play with the RWIN

On my broadband (cable), I was getting

DL=2526kbps
UL=503kbps

Voltaire

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2005, 04:03 AM

Well, I've been messing with this for the last 4 hours. No real improvements.

I went to the Phone Arena and did some reading. Maybe I'm not seeing EDGE speed because my phone is a GPRS only? I'll call Cingular in the AM and see what they say. I have another 2 weeks to decide so maybe I should go to a V551.

Anybody have ideas?

Voltaire

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 07:43 AM

Unfortunately, I think you are right NewOldbie. When I went phone shopping I looked specifically for a Class 10 EDGE device. If I remember correctly, the RAZR was NOT and EDGE device.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2005, 11:58 AM

Krysty,

What were your conclusions for a Class 10 EDGE phone? (Why did you choose Nokia 6230 over others?)

Voltaire

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 01:22 PM

Cingular's lineup of EDGE with Bluetooth® phones as of 6/20/2005:
  • Palm Treo 650 (Class 10)
  • Motorola V551 (Class 4)
  • Sony Ericsson s710a (Class 10)
  • Nokia 6620 (Class ??)
  • Nokia 6230 (Class 10)

The Motorola RAZR V3 isn't one of them, although future RAZRs and SLVRs will be.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rhomboid
Right now, in the afternoon in an area that I'm fairly sure is quite busy (Bellevue, WA) I'm getting about 115kbps down and 29kbps up according to DSLReports' speed test.
Thank for the datum; it's great to hear that it works in the Northwest!

I also created a Network Location called "v551" in System Preferences -> Network. This was more of an aesthetic/organizational thing for me. I can just select that location, "apply", and I'm connecting.
I use a generic "Travel" location as well.

I also hear that this method of running items on startup is now depreciated in favor of the new launchd system:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/5
I'll have to putz with this when I get Tiger.

Rhomboid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 06:24 PM

# Sony Ericsson s710a (Class 10)

Anyone using this phone? I went to the Cingular store and checked it out (thinking moving from Class 4 to Class 10 might be nifty) but wasn't too crazy about the construction. It's a big, pretty screen but being mounted on the outside of a rather large brick, it's begging to pick up a bunch of scratches and blemishes.

Can anyone attest to getting really good speeds out of the 710 (especially in the NW USA)? I really like the form factor of my V551. I'd probably only switch if I thought I was going to get a big boost.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2005, 06:45 PM

I did a quick walkthrough of the local Cingular store this afternoon. Since I want an EDGE compatible phone I've been thinking about that list f1000 posted.

Of the 5, I'll most likely go with the Sony Ericsson s710 unless someone can point out a better phone. Would love to hear if there's any real advantage for a Class 10 over Class 4 (Motorola V551) phone.

The things we do for SPEED.

Voltaire

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 10:31 PM

Of the 5, I'll most likely go with the Sony Ericsson s710 unless someone can point out a better phone. Would love to hear if there's any real advantage for a Class 10 over Class 4 (Motorola V551) phone.
I longed for the s710a until I saw how bulky it was. Still, the s710a has bells and whistles galore; the V551 doesn't even work with Salling Clicker.

Also, as Krusty pointed out, Motorola and Sony Ericsson need to refine their interfaces.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 11:08 PM

Krysty,

What were your conclusions for a Class 10 EDGE phone? (Why did you choose Nokia 6230 over others?)
Well, pretty much I wanted Nokia for the OS, and an otherwise smallish and normal looking form factor. The overall feature set of the 6230 (and 6230i which is what I really would prefer) are extremely similar to the 710a but in a much smaller and less in-your-face package. But that's just personal preference stuff really, I don't think its really "better" than the 710a ... just more of what I want.

Both the 6230 and s710a have a pretty robust set of features (upgradeable memory cards, mp3/aac players, etc) that may come in handy from time to time as well. If you can stand to wait, wait on the 6230i to filter in to the Cingular line up. I saw samples of the photos it can take and they are far superior to the 6230, plus I think it allows adding attachments to email which the 6230 doesn't If the 6230i comes out soon, I'll be happy to sell you a barely used 6230 for a song

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 06:33 PM

I'm trying to setup a V551 to use with Tiger and it doesn't seem to be working. Can someone describe how they set it up beyond the instructions on page 1. I entered that information, but when I dial out - nothing happens and it says disconnecting.

Also, I originally purchased the S710a before trading it in for the V551. The S710a is *way* too big for day to day use. If you had it as a second phone, it would be great. However, I couldn't get it to fit in my jeans pocket and I'm a skinny guy. The UI on the SE kills the UI on the moto. I just gave in and bought the moto with a 1-year and look forward to better phones in a year. The Cingular selection isn't stellar right now.

The 6230i will be a great phone.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrpuddles
I'm trying to setup a V551 to use with Tiger and it doesn't seem to be working. Can someone describe how they set it up beyond the instructions on page 1. I entered that information, but when I dial out - nothing happens and it says disconnecting..
  1. Do you see the EDGE indicator 'E' on your cellular phone?
  2. Reboot both your laptop and your cell phone. I've noticed that the V551 has a flakey OS that needs to be rebooted almost every time I put it on the FastForward charger. Don't connect any charger to your phone after you've rebooted it; then test your connection.
  3. Make sure that MEdia Net is actually activated. If you signed up for it recently, it may not be activated on your account until July 1.

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2005, 12:40 AM

Thanks, a simple reboot of both devices did the trick. It works great, but I still need to tweak the settings. Is there a way to load temporary settings that I can unload so as to not alter the speed of my wireless connection?

RMAC doesn't work for Tiger and the other optimizer that was listed does not extract from its archive.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 04:39 PM

Is there a way to load temporary settings that I can unload so as to not alter the speed of my wireless connection?
You can use Terminal to http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68b0580e/0]edit[/url] sysctl system variables on the fly. The changes will be lost after a reboot, though.

Example:
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2005, 07:11 PM

I did the speed test in Austin, TX (by UT Campus):

V551 w/o Optimization:
Download: 78 kbps
Upload: 31 kbps

V551 w/ suggested Optimization:
Download: 82 kbps
Upload: 24 kbps

My Cable Modem (TimeWarner):
Download: 4496 kbps
Upload: 356 kbps

Odd that my results didn't change, I must have messed up somewhere

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 10:49 PM

Hmmm ... maybe the bottleneck is the bandwidth available where you are. Being near the UT campus, I'd imagine a network that is reasonably congested with people accessing Cingular's data network. If you may, I'd suggest trying it at some really weird time of day (like 5:00 am or something) and see if it improves.

As for me, I let myself get suckered in to another (very expensive, data intensive) speed test and it bested my former number of 112k down (I got 122 this time) and this is with Class IV optimizations on my Class 10 device ... so I'm reasonably satisfied with what I'm getting. It's about 2.5x realistic dial-up speeds, so to me it seems well worth the extra $20 I'm gonna plop down for unlimited MEdiaNet (as soon as I get a laptop ... I've been testing with my eMac's internal BT thus far).

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
Hmmm ... maybe the bottleneck is the bandwidth available where you are. Being near the UT campus, I'd imagine a network that is reasonably congested with people accessing Cingular's data network. If you may, I'd suggest trying it at some really weird time of day (like 5:00 am or something) and see if it improves.

As for me, I let myself get suckered in to another (very expensive, data intensive) speed test and it bested my former number of 112k down (I got 122 this time) and this is with Class IV optimizations on my Class 10 device ... so I'm reasonably satisfied with what I'm getting. It's about 2.5x realistic dial-up speeds, so to me it seems well worth the extra $20 I'm gonna plop down for unlimited MEdiaNet (as soon as I get a laptop ... I've been testing with my eMac's internal BT thus far).

Krusty, I'll try that out. Also, UT doesn't have many cell towers that are near the campus. I'm sure that factors in the speed that I can achieve. I'll probably make a drive around town sometime in the next couple of weeks and see what I can achieve. 122k is pretty nice. I'm assuming that you're using a S710a?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 11:45 PM

Krusty, I'll try that out. Also, UT doesn't have many cell towers that are near the campus. I'm sure that factors in the speed that I can achieve. I'll probably make a drive around town sometime in the next couple of weeks and see what I can achieve. 122k is pretty nice. I'm assuming that you're using a S710a?
Nope, I'm using the Nokia 6230 (see above) ... and since I don't yet own a laptop, I'm stuck testing from my home (which has less-than-full reception most of the time). Can't wait to get a laptop and see if my speeds pick up closer to a tower.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 11:46 AM

what is the name of the rmac script that goes in the startup items? I mean, the actual filename.

RMAC seems to bomb out on Tiger and I just want to crate the file by hand but don't know what to call it.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 10:58 AM

Using OS 10.4.1 won't allow me to select and create a startup RMAC. This app first doesn't allow me to modify the strings of sendspace, etc, to the number like in the original post. The max I can set to is 65535. Also, no place to have the full code written out.

What's the actual process to do this? And how do you set this for a specified interface? I know fw0, en0 and en1, but what's bluetooth or PPP?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 10:08 PM

I'm having problems getting this stuff working at the right speeds. I live in Seattle, WA and I have:
  • 15" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz
  • Motorola v551
  • Cingular MediaNet Unlimited
  • 3G Modem Scripts from Ross
  • Optimized with RMAC using f1000's settings
I used to have a Sony Ericsson T637 and was able to get connected at almost the same speeds with that phone. I can connect just fine with either phone but the max speed that I have been able to achieve with my v551 is 32/24 and the max speed that I ever got with my T637 was 25/12. That doesn't seem much like an EDGE increase as it could be attributed to just having a different phone that handles GPRS better. I seriously question if the WAP.CINGULAR APN supports EDGE at all because it seems like I'm not getting EDGE speeds. I even drove around the greater Seattle area to see if I could achieve faster speeds somewhere else. Even with full signal strength I never got any faster.

Is it possible that in some areas you have to use the ISP.CINGULAR APN to get EDGE speeds. This page that I found seemed to think so: http://www.idmonsters.com/archives/2...ola_v600_w.php.

I'd greatly appreciate any help that you guys could give me in trying to get better speeds. I just feel really unsatisfied considering I'm paying $20/month for unlimited MediaNet and I just bought a new phone specifically for the EDGE features.

Looking forward to hearing back.

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrchin
Using OS 10.4.1 won't allow me to select and create a startup RMAC. This app first doesn't allow me to modify the strings of sendspace, etc, to the number like in the original post. The max I can set to is 65535. Also, no place to have the full code written out.

What's the actual process to do this? And how do you set this for a specified interface? I know fw0, en0 and en1, but what's bluetooth or PPP?
In order to create the startup RMAC thing you have to go to //Library/StartupItems and doing a command+I (get info) on the StartupItems directory and then going to down to permissions and setting them to the user. You'll then get some messages the next time you reboot to fix the permissions, then you'll have to reboot again. You have to do this everytime I found to change the script.

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 11:31 PM

So I drove over to Bellevue, WA, and pulled up about 100 ft. away from a cell tower and ran a speed test. The fastest even at 100 ft. from the tower was 66/27

EDIT: Well, I ran the test again right after I ran that last one and I got 95/31 (at 100 feet), 90/28 (at 1/4 mile), and 131/28 (at 3/4 miles). Then I went over to University Village in Seattle and got 143/26.

So it looks like someone answered my prayers about the speed getting better, but I'm still very dissapointed in the range to speed ratio. It seems like if you are even one bar down you aren't getting anything better than like 50-70k/s. Then with just 3 bars you are getting between 20-40k/s. The latency gets really really bad as the bars go down as well.
( Last edited by aaronmarks; Jul 5, 2005 at 02:24 AM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by xMetal
RMAC seems to bomb out on Tiger and I just want to crate the file by hand but don't know what to call it.
Originally Posted by mrchin
For those of you having problems with RMAC and Tiger, I suggest that you do what Rhomboid did and just create a sysctl.conf file in /etc.

Use Terminal and your favorite text editor (pico, vi, etc.) to create the following file:
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1
Save as /etc/sysctl.conf. Reboot.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by aaronmarks
So I drove over to Bellevue, WA, and pulled up about 100 ft. away from a cell tower and ran a speed test. The fastest even at 100 ft. from the tower was 66/27

EDIT: Well, I ran the test again right after I ran that last one and I got 95/31 (at 100 feet), 90/28 (at 1/4 mile), and 131/28 (at 3/4 miles). Then I went over to University Village in Seattle and got 143/26.

So it looks like someone answered my prayers about the speed getting better, but I'm still very dissapointed in the range to speed ratio. It seems like if you are even one bar down you aren't getting anything better than like 50-70k/s. Then with just 3 bars you are getting between 20-40k/s. The latency gets really really bad as the bars go down as well.
As I mentioned on page 1, there are many factors that can affect download rates: distance, interference, slot allocation, network congestion, etc. Sometimes the speed tests themselves give aberrant results.

I've found that the most reliable way to speed test a connection is to download a 1 MB file and monitor the actual download rate in real-time.

PS: You need to crop that image or else a mod is going to delete it. Thanks for the data points, though.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by aaronmarks
Is it possible that in some areas you have to use the ISP.CINGULAR APN to get EDGE speeds. This page that I found seemed to think so: http://www.idmonsters.com/archives/2...ola_v600_w.php.
As far as I know, Cingular cut off access to the ISP.CINGULAR apn to new MEdia Net customers several months ago; however, some current customers may be grandfathered in. ISP.CINGULAR (and ISPDA.CINGULAR) is only available to Data Connect and PDA Connect customers.

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 07:00 AM

I went and traded in my Motorola v551 today for a Nokia 6230. I had to have a candy bar style phone and I hadn't been too happy with the RF that I was getting with the v551. I'll have to run some more tests tomorrow to see if I actually get better performance now with the Class 10 EDGE phone.

FYI to anyone with a Nokia 6230, download PhoneDirector 1.0.6. It's no iSync, but it allows you to pretty much synchronize your phone book, calendar, etc... it's not all done in one click, but it works. If it weren't for this program I would have never even looked at the 6230.

My initial impression though of this phone is that it does have much better signal strength than my v551. I really like the phone a lot, and it seems to be built better. The first v551 that I opened up at the Cingular store broke in my hands, the hinge broke and the guy gave me anotehr one. I should have taken that as a bad sign. Then within a week the motorola logo was peeling off the front of my phone, and I'm totally careful with my phones (even carry it in a separate pocket from everything else). As far as staying on topic though, the edge latency seems better, and I also just in my first tests seem to be getting better speeds.
As far as I know, Cingular cut off access to the ISP.CINGULAR apn to new MEdia Net customers several months ago; however, some current customers may be grandfathered in. ISP.CINGULAR (and ISPDA.CINGULAR) is only available to Data Connect and PDA Connect customers.
I would think that it would be really interesting to run a test and find out if the ISP.CINGULAR APN's are actually faster or if they just allow for VPN's, etc....

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 09:11 PM

For those of you having problems with RMAC and Tiger, I suggest that you do what Rhomboid did and just create a sysctl.conf file in /etc.

Use Terminal and your favorite text editor (pico, vi, etc.) to create the following file:
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1
Save as /etc/sysctl.conf. Reboot.

I've tried that and it said permission denied. I am on an Administrator account. Odd.

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 09:19 PM

I've tried that and it said permission denied. I am on an Administrator account. Odd.
I'm pretty sure that you actually have to give yourself root permissions. I think that to do this you would have to use the Netinfo Manager under //Applications/Utilities

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 11:35 PM

Latest set of tests without optimization:

Download: 140kbps
Upload: 10kbps

Download: 102kbps
Upload: 33kbps

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 02:23 AM

I only ran one speedtest with the new Nokia 6230, but just on the first try it was definitely faster than my one time record 143/26 with the Motorola v551. I got a 145/53: http://www.aaronmarks.com/images/edge.jpg

That is plenty fast for me since I was mostly concerned about speeding up the upload a little bit since that 20-30k upload was really annoying me. The internet feels much zippier now with it, and when I have full signal strength I don't mind using it at all even for normal web browsing. (plus, I don't think that the novelty has quite wore off yet of how cool it is to be able to be working off of a nationwide wireless data network )

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 09:40 PM

Two issues:

First, I have read before that surfing on Media.Net discloses your phone number. I read that for WAP browsing off of the phone., but it doesn't look like it works that way for my Mac. I've hit my Mac for info and it just gives the typical info, with no disclosure of phone number. Anyone have issues with the phone number?

Second, I have to restart my Mac to use my V551 as a modem. However, it will always work with iSync without a restart. Anyone know how to fix this issue. It drives me nuts.

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 04:54 PM

Suddenly today my Al 15 powerbook (10.4.2) will not connect to my v551. Any ideas? What do I need to delete to start set up over?
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 09:54 PM

System Preferences->Bluetooth->Devices. Delete the v551 from the list. Then go to the Bluetooth Setup Assistant and re-add the v551 again. Not sure why yours isn't working BUT this is the way to start from scratch.

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=aaronmarks]I only ran one speedtest with the new Nokia 6230, but just on the first try it was definitely faster than my one time record 143/26 with the Motorola v551. I got a 145/53: http://www.aaronmarks.com/images/edge.jpg

Using this same speedtest, I got results ranging from 138 to 148 (down) / 31 to 42 (up). I'm in SE CT, using the NYC and Wash DC servers to test; 9:40 PM on a Thurs night. Al 15" 10.4.1 Motorola v551.

I installed the modified sysctl.conf file and used the scripts and the instructions here. I huge thank you to everyone who contributed; I've been through these posts several times and I know it would have taken me a lot longer to do it on my own.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2005, 05:56 AM

Hey f1000,

First off, increadibly helpful stuff. I've ready the whole thread rather carefully, and I must admit i'm familiar w/ everything short of the tweak testing and terminal / startup script based throughput optimization.

I am running:
s710a
powerbook 15" al G4 1.5 768RAM
mac os 10.4.2
medianet unlimited
*manually (via terminal) updated network settings as per your posts: (sudo sysctl -w)

et.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

NOTE: This was after i ran broadband optimizer and SEEMED to notice a speed increase on my broadband connections right away. I reported the fastest connections in my area via BroadbandReports.Com. I'll go back and check w/out the optimizer startup script after a restart and see what I get, but right now my BROADBAND is operating nearly at the max of my possible, so that's good.

I have used a Motorola v600 tethered to my PB 15" 1.5 ghz 768RAM w/ Cingular MediaNet now for over a year and it has proven indespensible. I recently upgraded my phone to an s710a, and have been in the process of reconfiguring for EDGE capability.

I have been able to connect successfully w/ the Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 & 2 scripts, but am only achieving down: 30ish kbps / up: 9 kbps. I am in Santa Barbara, CA (full bars at current location) and have been Speed Testing at BroadbandReports.Com off of the line link server based in Los Angeles @ 2am.

dn: 33k / up: 9k report is AFTER using the terminal "sudo sysctl -w" command to update all of the above stated network parameters. these speed reports are the same as when my network settings were "un-optimized".

1. Can you advise as to what might be the hangup. I'm fairly sure its not cell related as we have very current services in this area, and I have every reason to believe local towers support EDGE. By the looks of it, I'm only getting GPRS speeds.

2. Can you advise more clearly where this /etc directory is and (sorry i'm such a layman) explain just what i need to do to create a startup script to optimize net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize RWIN value? As stated earlier in the thread, RMAC is not compatible w/ tiger, and BroadBand Optimizer does not adjust the slowlink value.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by crozlo
I have been able to connect successfully w/ the Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 & 2 scripts, but am only achieving down: 30ish kbps / up: 9 kbps. I am in Santa Barbara, CA (full bars at current location) and have been Speed Testing at BroadbandReports.Com off of the line link server based in Los Angeles @ 2am.
Run the Speakeasy speed test from the Los Angeles server: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Also, do a sysctl -a to confirm that you have in fact altered your system variables.

Report back your results, thanks.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2005, 07:24 PM

Here you go, f1000:

Un-Optimized Test #1:
Download Speed: 42 kbps (5.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 10 kbps (1.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Un-Optimized Test #2:
Download Speed: 43 kbps (5.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

THEN:
I used the terminal and the "sudo" commands you gave me (sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040, etc...) to tweak my system to the following settings:

net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=10804
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

I verified that the commands worked by quitting the terminal session, restarting terminal and typing sysctl -a. Upon inspection, I could see that all above settings were in effect.
Additionally, I restarted Safari before testing. Here are the results:

Optimized Test #1:
Download Speed: 40 kbps (5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Optimized Test #2:
Download Speed: 38 kbps (4.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

So, as you can see, I definitely am not getting a speed increase.

Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Oh yeah..btw... I tested from a good coverage area (affluent neighborhood) and had full bars on my phone at the time of testing. Also, I tested during relatively low internet traffic.

Any thoughts??
Thanks!

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 08:59 PM

net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

^ Is the value for this variable really that low? It should be equal to 108040.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 10:32 PM

Hey f1000. Did anyone ever find an equivalent of RMAC for 10.4. I used it successfully with 10.3 but my new iBook (pre-loaded 10.4) will be arriving soon and its what I really plan to use this MEdia Net gig with. Can't wait to be truly, truly mobile.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 06:28 PM

^ Is the value for this variable really that low? It should be equal to 108040.

No. The value isn't really that low. That was a cut/paste typo on my part (sorry). I just checked and re-entered the "sudo" command to up the slowlink value and it showed:

net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 108040 -> 108040

..so clearly it was set to your value already

:-(

guesses?

Should I be trying some of the other modem scripts available? CID1, 2, etc?? I've been connecting w/ CID 1 mostly. A couple times w/ CID 2. wap.cingular. I should be able to get better speed. People have succeeded doing this w/ other s710a's, haven't they??

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
Hey f1000. Did anyone ever find an equivalent of RMAC for 10.4. I used it successfully with 10.3 but my new iBook (pre-loaded 10.4) will be arriving soon and its what I really plan to use this MEdia Net gig with. Can't wait to be truly, truly mobile.
I would use Rhomboid's solution from several posts above.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

Should I be trying some of the other modem scripts available? CID1, 2, etc?? I've been connecting w/ CID 1 mostly. A couple times w/ CID 2. wap.cingular. I should be able to get better speed. People have succeeded doing this w/ other s710a's, haven't they??
Firstly, I don't have Tiger yet so I'm not going to be of much help in troubleshooting problems specific to that OS. Secondly, I don't have an s710a (although I'm thinking about cheating on my Moto), so again I'm not going to be the best person to ask for help in troubleshooting that particular device.

My gut feeling is that your network is down. Call Cingular up and ask them to confirm that EDGE is up and working in your area. Also, if you have a laptop, try driving to a nearby city and testing your modem there.

Another possibility is that the S710a has built-in settings that need to be adjusted. Check Howardsforum for assistance on this matter.

Finally, make sure that you have the right scripts. These are the scripts that you should be using: http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Sony...3G-2005-01.sit

I've looked briefly at the scripts and noticed the following line:

! Set serial port speed based on EC/Compression flag, for low-speed serial ports
! (flag is otherwise irrelevant since we always leave EC/Compression on)
! =0 : 57600
! =1 : 460800
!
ifstr 5 1 "0"
!

Make sure that your serial port is set to the higher of the two speeds or else you're going to experience GPRS performance. You may have to rewrite the script in order to force the serial port to default to the higher speed. The script may have been tuned for USB cables, not Bluetooth connections.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 07:58 PM

I would use Rhomboid's solution from several posts above.
Yikes, how in the heck did I miss that one. I should re-read from time to time, I just went straight to the bottom of the thread.
Thanks

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 05:50 AM

Crozio, I've been looking at Ross Barkman's Sony-Ericsson scripts more carefully and I'd like you to make the following precise edit to the "Sony Ericsson 3G CID1" script.

Replace this...
! ---- Modem setup ----
!
!
! Set serial port speed based on EC/Compression flag, for low-speed serial ports
! (flag is otherwise irrelevant since we always leave EC/Compression on)
! =0 : 57600
! =1 : 460800
!
ifstr 5 1 "0"
!
serreset 460800, 0, 8, 1
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
jump 2
!
@LABEL 1
!
serreset 57600, 0, 8, 1
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
...with this.
! ---- Modem setup ----
!
! Set serial port speed 460800, all interface signals off
!
serreset 460800, 0, 8, 1
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
I'm theorizing that ifstr 5 is returning "0" for Bluetooth connections. As a result, the script resets your port to 57600 instead of 460800.

EDIT: I've confirmed that ifstr 5 returns "0" for Bluetooth connections (at least it does so in Panther); thus, the script is resetting your serial port to 57600 bps. Make the above edit and you should see a dramatic speed improvement. Post back with some results.
( Last edited by f1000; Aug 16, 2005 at 06:27 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules