Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adding a thinkpad to my setup - for speech recognition : (

Adding a thinkpad to my setup - for speech recognition : (
pete
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:25 PM

I've finally hit a point where I feel that using mac is a slight disadvantage: speech recognition! It took me 13 years. I've tried both via voice and macspeech. Macspeech is pretty lousy and certainly not something I can use as my main text input method. Viavoice has pretty darn good recognition but correction is cumbersome, and being limited to the silly 'speakpad' if I want to have all functions is really annoying.

So, I've decided to do the unthinkable and buy a used thinkpad so I can install Dragon naturallyspeaking which seems to be an amazing piece of software. I just wish Apple would come along with something mind blowing soon.....or that macspeech would suddenly become useable, or that viavoice would be developed further. I hope something will happen because dictation is obviously a very very useful feature for those of us who write a lot and don't want to ruin our hands, wrists and arms.

Anyway, a sad day in my other almost flawless mac life.

smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 12:21 AM

Pete:

It seems like the neighbors' grass is always greener. I have been using ViaVoice and Dragon Naturally Speaking on my Windows XP laptops, Thinkpad T23 as well as Fujitsu C2111, and found that each voice recog software has it own share of problems. In fact, the Dragon pdf user manual states that Voice Recognition is not perfect. My conclusion: The only way we can make it closer to perfection is lots of training for the software that we have and patience. Over the years I have read many user reviews, and found that the vast majority of users are not happy with their particular brand of software. Recently, I was doing the opposite of what you did; checking out Mac users' feedback and found the same problems they have with Mac versions of voice recog. Here is a link on the iListen Mac voice recog which provides some very insightful feedback. Hope everything turns out okay for you.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...sx/8968&page=1

(Recently I tried out the 12 inch iBook for 4 weeks, and only after returning it to Amazon that I realized what a superior laptop it is when I returned to my present Windows laptops. I am waiting for Amazon to sell the latest iBook upgrade to get one.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules