Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Check out this Mac Mini ripoff

Check out this Mac Mini ripoff
f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 05:57 PM

Evesham Mini sports Mac Mini looks, Media Center 2005

Seemingly separated from the Mac Mini at birth, Evesham's new Mini media PC runs Windows XP Media Center 2005 at a strikingly small footprint in a brushed aluminum finish.

Launched to much fanfare earlier this year, disappointments ran high over the inability of Apple's Mac Mini to function as a media center despite its suitable specifications, small size and attractive looks. Enter the Evesham Mini, a media PC which runs Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center edition yet manages to look every bit as attractive as the Mac Mini.

Measuring a petite 165 x 165 x 50 mm, the Evesham Mini is considerably smaller than recent Media Center entrants such as the Shuttle XPC M 1000. Available in two configurations, the most modest of which includes an Intel Celeron M 360 processor running at 1.4 GHz, 512 MB of 533 MHz DDR2 RAM and an Intel 915 GMA chipset for graphics. Also included is a 40 GB hard drive spinning at 5,400 RPM, Dual Layer DVD drive and a selection of connectors including two USB 2.0; FireWire; Gigabit Ethernet; S-Video and DVI for video; and, lastly, microphone in and speaker out jacks.

Quite similar to this, the other version of the Mini features the exact same setup with the exception of an Intel Pentium M 760 processor running at 2 GHz and an 80 GB hard drive; both solutions are powered by Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Optionals include among others Wi-Fi 802.11b/g for £50 GBP, or €75 EUR, and a hybrid analogue/digital tuner for £70 GBP, or €105 EUR.

Available immediately in the UK, the Evesham Mini sells in two configurations as mentioned above for £500 and £700, or €750 EUR and €1,050 EUR.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6358.html

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 06:03 PM

it was only a matter of time. i think Apple needs to release the new media mini ASAP (jan) before the Windows boxes take over the market.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
...yet manages to look every bit as attractive as the Mac Mini.
Maybe because it IS the Mac Mini.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i think Apple needs to release the new media mini ASAP (jan) before the Windows boxes take over the market.
I hope so.

quiklee
Senior User
Dec 13, 2005, 06:14 PM

Blah
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 06:30 PM

meh
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2005, 06:57 PM

At least they fixed one deficiency of the Mac mini (gigabit ethernet), but still using those 2.5" drives.

bkarlsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 12:48 AM

They really have to get their butts in gear with a media edition of the Mini, would be great if they released an update for those of us that already shelled out $$$ for the first rev Minis.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 07:46 AM

These things cost a lot more than mini's.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2005, 11:10 AM

The gadget in the picture is no competition to the Mini. It's less attractive as a media box than the Shuttle machines mentioned in the article (either esthetically or technically), and there's no mention of how loud the thing is. At least the Shuttle boxes have an interesting and effective heat management system that keeps them quiet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

theTechyDork
Dec 14, 2005, 10:32 PM

This rip offs are getting rediculous. That looks like crap anyways.
MacBook White 2GHz 2GB 80GB | iPod 30GB White 5G | Powershot SD700 IS
www.alwaysg5.com - my blog, a female mac & ipod fan.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by theTechyDork
This rip offs are getting rediculous. That looks like crap anyways.
To me it looks a lot like a mimi, except for the slightly different proportions. That, the apparently dimpled or perforated top, and the eject button for the drive are the only glaring visual differences. I mentioned that I didn't care for the esthetics of this thing-that's not saying that I though it looked horrible (or like crap). It's slightly different, and the blue power button just looks out of place, not awful. What makes it "look like crap" to you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hangtown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 03:17 PM

This is coming from someone who owns several windows machines (servers and workstations) and programs web apps using asp.net, so I'm not a windows hater by any means. But I don't see this cutting into mac sales any because it's still running windows media edition. Big deal. Who cares what's on the ourside if the inside doesn't match?

I have no problem with people trying to make windows boxes more attractive as we all know none of the PC makers have any sense of style and probably never will. If one of them is trying to improve on that, so much the better. Apple's the only computer company that seems to get it in that regard. But to blatantly rip off the mini's looks and not come up with something more original is kind of sad.

far200
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 05:01 PM

well it just goes to show you " those that can't.... copy"....LoL

And the price point is higher than a mini....... nice try anyways....

davo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 08:05 PM

not sticking up for windows machines. but companies have made every type of box currently out at one point or another. or they have toyed with the idea. Lets not forget mac is the greatest at everything, they idea for the dashboard got them into a law suit because it was basicly a copy of a windows based program.
www.camination.com - New iMac deciated site, and everything else mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules