Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook return at amazon: how long for your refund?

powerbook return at amazon: how long for your refund?
pete
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 11:06 AM

I returned one defect powerbook and got a replacement from amazon. The replacement arrived one day after I had requested it and Amazon received the returned powerbook 4 days after I sent it back. The second powerbook I requested a refund and promptly sent it back to them. It took almost 4 weeks for them to 'receive' it, even though the USPS told me that it would take max 7 days. I hassled Amazon over and over again and was constantly told that if I hadn't heard from them after four weeks, they would issue a refund.

My questions are:

- what is your experience with expensive item being returned to amazon? How long did it take to get refund?

- Am I being cynical to think that this was purposeful and that if they do this systematically with big items like this, they are earning countless dollars in interest while they sit on your money for weeks on end?

What was strange was that I called them yesterday morning and talked to a supervisor. I told him that I was upset and that I would dispute the charge with my credit card company. He said they hadn't received the powerbook and then repeated the four week thing. Amazingly, the powerbook just happened to arrive yesterday afternoon and they sent me a confirmation email. Now it will apparently take another3-5 business days to get teh actual refund.

This was a very bad amazon experience. I feel that usually they're good and fast , but then I've never really had a big problem like this *(two defective powerbooks in row), so I haven't had a need to test their real customer service before.
( Last edited by pete; Dec 16, 2005 at 01:28 PM. )

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 01:28 PM

Just got email from amazon saying that they have processed the refund. At least they're not dragging their feet at this point.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 08:37 AM

They may not have dragged their feet, but they didn't refund shipping costs and didn't tell me that they would not do so when they told me about the refund.

hot_kamote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 02:10 PM

What was the problem with the powerbooks? Amazon sucks ass. I bought mine from them and had problems with shipping too. Good thing they refunded the shipping charges.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 03:35 PM

1st powerbook: horizontal lines, space bar that only worked if pressed in the middle, dent above the latch release button.

2nd Powerbook: horizontal lines, battery that died after I followed Apple's calibration instructions.

I still prefer amazon to most online resellers simply because their return policy is usually no hassle. This time I had the option of choosing their default return shipping option or to first pay myself for shipping and then get reimbursed. I was so annoyed about the powerbook that I didn't want to fork out more money for UPS - even though I KNEW that sending USPS would be a mistake. I was of course assuming that the usps service was a trackable service. I mean, how can amazon even think of letting people send $2000 items in the mail without insurance or tracking??! Crazy to me.

Well, I wrote them to ask for the remaining shipping cost or else I will really never order from them again. I shouldn't have to pay anything after getting two defect powerbooks and waiting 4 weeks for the refund and dealing for hours with helpless, innocent but nonetheless useless Indian customer service.. we'll see what happens. They really don't seem to care either way so I assume they'll refund me the shipping too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules