Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do all Macbooks have uneven illumination?

Do all Macbooks have uneven illumination?
pete
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 01:16 PM

So despite my rant about lacking a modem I picked up a macbook pro 1.83ghz yesterday. So far everything works perfectly and it is not at all as hot as the ones I tried in the store. Surprisingly, the only thing I'm not happy with is the display which, although very bright, seems unevenly illuminated. It isn't that obvious unless I'm working on something with lots of white. Then you can see how the whites go from extremely bright white at the bottom, to a kind of murky-ish white on top. It happens gradually and it seems to be worse in the upper right part of the display. It is not very bad, but annoying nonetheless. Also, both the horizontal and vertical viewing angle of the macbook is inferior to the previous two generations of powerbooks - not that it is not possible to see from extreme angles, but the colors get distorted very quickly compared to the powerbook. The optimum viewing angle with this is much more limited, although within that range it is very bright.

Are all macbook pros like this or just some - I've read other posts from people who noticed the same. If they're not all like this, I'll request a replacement from amazon today and have a new one by Monday. If they are like this, I have to decide if I want to live with it and try to get Apple to fix it later. I wish buying such an expensive machines wouldn't have to be a gamble each time. I tried the last generation powerbook too and had numerous problems on two units - it's a complete gamble. Luckily, I don't seem to have any of the other issues with this one and that's also why I'm afraid of asking for another one which could be much worse.

I would take pictures but I can't ge a good one. They all end up with diagonal lines across the display - is there any technique to do this?
( Last edited by pete; Apr 28, 2006 at 01:30 PM. )

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 01:38 PM

Mine does it too, so it seems to be normal operations. I've have mine for almost two months (since early March), and it's never bothered me even while doing (admitedly limited) graphic and (slightly more extensive) video editing. Although the MBP usually sits on my desk while doing those activities, so I can adjust it to the optimal position.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 01:44 PM

But when it is in the best possible position, do you notice that the display is unevenly illuminated?

Thanks

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 01:54 PM

No, it's pretty solid in a (limited) optimal viewing range. Just as a check, I set my background to solid white and played around with it - there's definitly a small range where I don't see any gradient pattern, but it's pretty sensitive, It doesn't take much to move into a range where a gradient is noticeable.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah I noticed with mine that the lower the angle, the worse the effect was. Once I got above a certain viewing height, the image was pretty solid and even.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 02:00 PM

It's funny because it is only with whites. I don't notice any uneveness with a blue background, for example. Maybe I'm over-sensitive but for some reason this is bothering me a little. If I know that all macbooks exhibit this, I'll just learn to accept it. Otherwise I'll get a replacement and hope for the best...

Thanks for checking yours.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Yeah I noticed with mine that the lower the angle, the worse the effect was. Once I got above a certain viewing height, the image was pretty solid and even.

Yes, it was clear on your pictures, but did you notice a uneveness when you were looking at the screen straight on at optimum angle?

Oops, you alread answered that...sorry.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 04:01 PM

I've noticed this too with my Macbook Pro. If I tilt it back the screen gets a little dark at the top. Doesn't bother me much, but I wonder if this is the reason the MBP screen can't be tilted back as far as the Powerbook?

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 04:11 PM

Yes, that crossed my mind too. What about when you're looking at it straight on? Is there any parts that are slightly darker when you're viewing a completely white page?

Pete

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 04:28 PM

I noticed the uneven illumination. I had about 1 cm dark strips down the right and left sides.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 04:42 PM

Jasonxrs7 mentioned that this is something common on other 15" laptops he's seen. the only other laptops I've really looked at are from Sony and, as I remember them, they seemed perfect. Having said that, I'm very glad that Apple has stayed away from the mainstream glossy surfaces that reflect your environment to the point of ruining the wonderful LCD!

Anyway, if it is the case that many new LCDs have this issue with illumination, what is the cause and what is different in desktop LCD technology that allows for completely even illumination like my gorgeous cinema display 20"?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by pete
Yes, that crossed my mind too. What about when you're looking at it straight on? Is there any parts that are slightly darker when you're viewing a completely white page?

Pete
Now that I'm home studying the screen the right side seems slightly darker when looking at it straight on. Its very, very slight but I can discern it.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 08:12 PM

It's interesting that it seems most macbooks have this issue. Is it because of the brightness enhancing film on it? Or does it have something to do with the backlight design. I'm very picky, but have never been unhappy with my powerbook screens, especially not since the Titaniums. I love the brightness of the macbook pro, but there is a very limited viewing angle both horizontally and vertically before distortion of colors start. Even when I have it at optimum angle, whites tend to get murkier and more brown towards the top. I only notice this with whites. It's so subtle, but nonetheless noticeable.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 08:22 PM

I also only notice this problem with whites. It's like a hotspot effect you get with projector screens or projection TV. I think the effect is caused by a film that is laid over the LCD screen on the new MacBook Pro. The whites don't appear smooth. However, I notice one benefit. The LCD screen works much better outdoors than the PowerBook.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 10:11 PM

I've noticed this on mine also, seems kind of like a projection TV that has a hot spot.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 10:53 PM

So is this 'normal' and, if so, why has Apple used a display that has problems with whites when its previous displays did not? Not to mention Sony displays which seem pretty perfect to me. I read somewhere that there is some kind of brightness enhancing filter on the macbook pro displays - does anybody know what this is and how it works? And, is it this filter that is causing the issue with whites?

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 04:35 AM

I wouldnt worry about informing yourself about screen technology like filters etc.. because it is not gonna help you one way or another... because there wont be anything you can do about it either way...

I remember my old PB15" having terrible uneven illumination where a big dark patch would appear at the bottom right of the screen when the brightness setting below 2/3 or 3/4 of the max number of bars.

I now haver a 17" pb and it is much better than the 15" although if the brightness is too low i get a smallish dark area at the bottom left...but it isnt bad.

My cousin has a 15"macbook she bought 2 weeks ago and it is fantastically bright... but i suspect that if i lower the brightness on that i may see some anomalies. I did notice the viewing angle is ever so slightly poorer than my 17" and previous pb screens... but really... who cares unless you are always sitting on an angle to your mbp. the viewing angle will possibly offer you some privacy in a public place so they cant spy on your screen!

I also believe that if you have much light on in your room that this light will shine through the glowing apple on the lcd panel and make that small area in the middleof the screen appear a little brighter than the rest so it may make the brightness uneven...

i have seen some other nanufacturers have uneven brightness but not many at all... i think those were only the 13" sizes only...

The apple is acceptable if you keep your screen reasonably bright... you cant really notice many uneven spots enough to be bothersome... butthat is my personal opinion At the moment i cant notice mine at all.

just keep it above 3/4 bright and you wil be fine.

cheers,
robM

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 07:08 AM

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Understanding the technology can explain why things are the way they are, and perhaps allow me to see positive aspects of what otherwise would be the depressing realisation that Apple is skimping on screen quality. I've pretty much had every powerbook since the 540c and the display technology used has improved a lot since then. The powerbook I just sold to get the macbook was the last display with a relatively unproblematic display - although not as bright as the macbooks, its illumination was very uniform and, when calibrated, colors were spot-on.Horizontal viewing angles before colors were distorted was also excellent All previous powerbooks had displays that at least were useable with Apple's default colorsync profile, though never great. This one is completely messed up using apple's own 'Color LCD' profile and everything is brown and washed out - really awful actually. Although it's not a problem since I can just calibrate, it shows that Apple didn't care to create a custom profile for this machine that would be reasonable out of the box - or, worse still, that Apple's displays vary so much in quality that one display profile is not enough to accomodate in a very general way the different displays used.

The problem is tha that it is not only uneven from bottom to top, but also from left to right. I've seen many displays that aren't evenly illuminated from bottom to top, but not many that are uneven from side to side. It is in fact very difficult to do any kind of photo adjustments when it is like this - even for me as an amateur.

If this is the state of Apple's professional portables, I really fear for Apple in the graphics world. I doubt many professionals would be satisfied with this display, especially when there are better ones around. For the price premium, the best available display should be offered. Dark spots, uneven illumination, color inconsistencies etc should not be accepted as 'normal' or 'acceptable' - not in a $2000+ machine!

That's just my opinion and that's why I posted the question originally: to find out if this is the norm with macbook pro displays.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 03:19 AM

I agree that the screen quality, in terms of evenness of illumination, is poor on the apple. It could and should be so much better. It could be due to the assembly procedure or a number of reasons.. but that is speculating.

I have seen the mbp screen as my cousin bought hers recently and i spent 2 hours installing all the software and upgrading the os etc... It actually wasnt too bad... i didnt notice any dark spots but did notice the viewing angle was poorer but ever so slightly.

This is a hardware thing and it cant be fixed by colour profiles ( as far as i know). In previous screens i have seen with uneven illumination, it tends to vary on location and amount. So i think it is a common thing with apple but hope it will change as apple uses different technology.

When i questioned a service provider in my local store, i was told that my first pb15" screen was 'within spec' and apple would not change it over... so they dont see it as a fault. Although if it is 'really bad' then i would expect it to be replaced as some users have had done in the past due to this issue.

It is important to be sure that you can tolerate the machine before you buy it by doing your own tests in the store. there is nothing worse than spending all that money on a machine that you will depend on for your work only to be distracted by something you dont like.

Just keep it as bright as you can manage... It does help to even out illumination if you keep it bright (even though you shouldnt have to).

cheers,
robM

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 08:45 AM

I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether I should return this one and hope that the replacement will be a little better. As it is now, I notice the uneven illumination only when I have large areas of white - then the whitest areas are low down and then it the whites become darker the higher up and to the side I look. Definitely darker on the upper right than upper left too. I've never had this problem before with an Apple laptop. I'm looking at my girlfriend's old Pismo now and although it is very dim compared to the macbook, it is uniform in color and illumination.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday to check their macbooks but because of bright light in the store, it was hard to really evaluate. I fear that sending back an otherwise pretty perfect (no wine, no warping, ok heat etc) would be a stupid gamble since the replacement could be much worse. Or better. That's the problem....it's a gamble.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 10:58 AM

I first noticed the complaints about the poor screen when Apple switched to the higher res screens. I have a 17" Rev A (1440x900) and the screen is amazing. Ya it's not as bright as the new ones, but as far as illuminations and viewing angles, It's great.

So it's either a new screen supplier, or the higher res, or even the brightness that has caused them to sacrifice viewing angle and illumination quality.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2006, 09:20 PM

It seems that the screen issue is too much to bare. If you can, try to get a swapover. You do run the risk of it happening again but possibly the same thing but in different locations. However, if you do nothing then you are stuck. I belive that the whine and heat have been fixed across the whole range? that is the general idea i get from all news ive read on the web about those issues.

You may be one of the few unlucky ones who got a slightly worse screen than the general population... just as i was when i had my first 15"pb. I was lucky enough to get a full refund after the techs couldnt fix it after 2 months.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. I know what its like to have a dud screen and it aint a good feeling.

robM

Forum Links
Forum Rules