Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > amazon and replacements of macbook pro

amazon and replacements of macbook pro
pete
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 12:17 PM

So I wrote Amazon to ask for another replacement (this is my second MBP) now that the 1.83ghz version has been discontinued and replaced with a 2ghz version. I was hoping that the new revision would have some underlying changes to it...although I realize that this might just be wishful thinking. I've also been hesitating because of the chance of getting one that is worse than the one I have....

Anyway, amazon wrote back with the following:

"Please accept my apology for the time it's taken to respond to your
concerns.

I am sorry that your replacement shipment was also problematic.

As a token of appreciation for your business and for the trouble
this matter has caused you, we are enclosing a promotional
certificate for $15.00, which can be applied towards future
purchases at Amazon.com.

Unfortunately, as it seems that the problem with this item is more
widespread than we originally thought, we are not able to send
another replacement. We will investigate and remedy the situation
with the item; however, I cannot guarantee when the error may be
fixed.

Regarding the newer version of this Apple notebook, I regret that I
am unable to provide any updated release information beyond what is
posted on our website. You are welcome to place a pre-order for the
item, and select Two-Day Delivery for faster service. You can use
the link below this message to write back to us, and we will reduce
the shipping cost as an additional compensation for the
inconvenience this circumstance has caused you.

We will of course refund you in full for the return of the second
defective item. We've requested a call tag so that UPS can pick up
the computer you are returning to us. The tracking number for this
calltag is: "

I wonder if this is just a way of getting out of multiple replacements or if they genuinely have a lot of returns on these and don't want to send another with the same problem. The former seems most likely since they are not stopping all sales of the macbook pros.

In any case my options now are to return it, get a refund and then order the newer version or, god forbid, just keep this one and try to accept the heat which is excessive. I think Apple will give me $100 back since the price has gone down. Question is how I can get used to the heat? I actually like this machine and the main problem is the heat.

I can' believe that it's come to this: that I can't actually get an Apple notebook that doesn't have some sort of issue. I suppose I could always get a macbook, but I like the big LCD and would miss it.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:04 PM

I have to say that at least in your dealings with Amazon they appear to be very easy to work with. I'm betting the newer model of the MBP has a better chance of not having the same issues, though I admit I have nothing to base that on. I wouldn't get the Macbook, since that's not what you really want.

Part of the reason Apple released a revision so soon may in part be so that they could fix the defects without admitting there was a problem. Once again, nothing to base that on but I love a good conspiracy. Been in the mood ever since Davinci Code. I bet that Steve Jobs is in Opus Dei. . .

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:52 PM

I love conspiracy theories too and hope that you;re right about Apple making changes. Anybody have the latest revision who'd care to comment?

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 03:22 PM

The problem with returning these is that it's a never ending process. There are countless people who are on their third and forth macbook pros and each one has different problems. If I look at mine critically, there are a few smaller issues and one big one - the heat. I don't mind heat underneath, but I can't stand that the left palmrest gets so warm. The HDD says 45C and I suspect the surface is around there too. You notice it even more because the right side is cool. Because of the disparity between the two sides, you never get accustomed to the heat. The right palmrest always reminds you that the left is so warm.

Ah, I really don't know what I should do and I really tired of obsessing about this. What a waste of energy and time! I need a computer NOW so I can't just return this and wait until Apple fixes this. I either have to take my chances with the newer 2ghz model or get a macbook. RIght now I'm really hating Apple.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 04:26 PM

i'd send it back. you're getting a free cpu upgrade and maybe a revision at the same time. my guess is that apple has fixed or is fixing some initial problems with these machines and that they'll get less prone to problems as we go forward.

i'd vote to send it back. i'm impressed that amazon is just going to refund you completely and let you re-order.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by freakboy2
i'd send it back. you're getting a free cpu upgrade and maybe a revision at the same time. my guess is that apple has fixed or is fixing some initial problems with these machines and that they'll get less prone to problems as we go forward.

i'd vote to send it back. i'm impressed that amazon is just going to refund you completely and let you re-order.

Yeah, Amazon is really good, although sometimes it gets confusing because there are so many CS reps involved and they don't always check my history to know what I was told before. I just had a chat with a rep in India and he was very nice but couldn't help me get a label sent by mail for some reason. I asked to talk to his supervisor and was transferred to a man whose Queen's English was impeccable and who quickly solved my problem. I was very impressed.

So my decision is to send it back and order one of the new models when they become available.Until then, I'll be going back to my girlfriend's trusty pismo! It is really the most trustworthy and sold computer I've every used. Just keeps on going after six years of daily service. It'll be a very sad day when it finally dies. I might just buy locally this time. Although Amazon is great, shipping things back and forth and waiting for shipments is a real pain.

Let's hope this revision is better. Let's hope, let's hope, let's hoooooooooope

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 05:03 PM

as far as i know all macbooks and pros have heat problems. i got this thing and it helps A LOT!!! i can have my 17" pro on my lap for hours without my lap getting too hot. and when its starts to get warm i get a cool towel and put it under the thing

Targus PA241U Podium Coolpad
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

its made for a desk but it works just as well on a lap.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 05:35 PM

So I went to the new Apple Store on 5th Avenue today - very cool place! I figured that they will have later-week models and the 2ghz upgraded one since they just opened. They had a few on display and I ran them at max CPU for ten minutes or more. I wasn't able to measure the exact temperature of the CPU and HDD, but one thing is for sure: they were much cooler on the outside than what I have now. In fact they were only luke warm on the upper left side of the case and palmrests were cool. Underneath was very hot.

What I don't know:

-what energy setting they were using (it was locked and said 'custom')

- what the ambient temperature was. It felt pretty cool, but I've run mine in cool temperatures and it still got very hot.

- How long they had been running and what they had been running before. Idling, these machines were cool on the palmrests and keyboard.

In any case, all the displays were good with very little uneven illumination. the case were slightly warped as usual. Impossible to ascertain whether there was a whine or not since it was noisy in there.

If I didn't know about the heat issue, going to the Apple Store would have me believe that the MBP run cool on top with a slight warm spot on the upper left corner and hot underneath at the rear but not in front. Hmmm, not sure what to make of this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules