Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What would make you happier: iPod a huge success on pc or a pc user's look of envy?

What would make you happier: iPod a huge success on pc or a pc user's look of envy?
sMACk
Nov 9, 2001, 01:47 PM

On one hand a huge hit for apple would bode well for our computer maker of choice, on the other we've spent too many years of product envy. Does iPod have a chance of bringing over pc users to mac or maybe a pc version would bring more acceptance of apple to pc users and general public? Logically, I think if apple had a huge crossplatform success it would be a better overall thing for apple acceptance but emotionally I'm ready for that look of envy on my pc using friend's faces

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2001, 02:40 PM

It already happened.

I grabbed a desktop pattern of the iPod from MacDesktops.com and have it here on my NT 4.0 desktop. Yesterday two guys came into my office, saw it and could not stop talking about the iPod. Both were PC users.

G1: "It is really cool. It is just too bad it only runs on the Mac"

Me: "Yeah. No you know how we feel"

G1: "Do you have one?"

Me: "Ordered two. One for me one for my girlfriend"

G1: <look of jealousy crosses face>. "It just kills me that I am saying positive things about an Apple product"

Me: <big ass grin>

Windows/Linux users will find hacks. They will get iPods and like them but they will never know the true simplicity of the Mac platform till they own a Mac and hopefully that is where Steve is pushing them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2001, 02:53 PM

As a Mac fan, but platform-agnostic user (I use what works), I have to say that the REALITY of the situation is that the iPod MUST work on Windows for it to be a success. I understand that it's going to be exclusive to Apple right now, but I NEED Windows connectivity on it since I use Windows at work. Also, I'm not a full-time OS X user thanks to the fact that it's taking FOREVER for the DVD, FCP, and Adobe apps to be released for X, so I have the long filename issue to deal with under OS 9.

I'd rather see Windows support. It's a more realistic scenario.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

bsturgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by sMACk:
<STRONG>On one hand a huge hit for apple would bode well for our computer maker of choice, on the other we've spent too many years of product envy. Does iPod have a chance of bringing over pc users to mac or maybe a pc version would bring more acceptance of apple to pc users and general public? Logically, I think if apple had a huge crossplatform success it would be a better overall thing for apple acceptance but emotionally I'm ready for that look of envy on my pc using friend's faces </STRONG>
Well, I prefer door #3:
"Windows re-formats all IRS records...Bill Gates arrested...More at 11:00"

But if those are the only choices you're gonna give me, I'll go with the "peeccee users envious of iPod".
Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux'

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 07:12 AM

I've already seen a PC user's envy. In fact, he wants to buy an entire new system sometime this spring or summer, and now is leaning towards buying a Mac. It started with the original iApps, then OS X, and now the iPod seems to have tipped the scales.

Forum Links
Forum Rules