Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > bioshock with 2.66 7300gt?

bioshock with 2.66 7300gt?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

Is this doable - anyone have any experiences?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 10:18 AM

It's going to be a slideshow.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2007, 10:24 AM

yeah - that was what I thinking....
I really hope that apple comes out with better cards on this revision of the Mac pro. Even better, I really wish some companies would come out with video cards (efi compatible) WITH mac OS X support...

Talk about a way for the MP sales to take off...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 01:20 AM

How about the ATI Radeon X1900 XT? I had no problem playing Bioshock (under Bootcamp, Vista) on a dual 2.0Ghz Xeon, Radeon X1900 XT, and 2GB of RAM.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2007, 02:19 AM

With new MP around the corner - I was hoping to pick up a "faster", fanless video card.

PaperNotes
Nov 19, 2007, 02:54 AM

I get a constant 30FPS and no jerking in heavy sequences at 720p on a MBP 2.16Ghz. I doubt a 7300 could get close so no fun.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I get a constant 30FPS and no jerking in heavy sequences at 720p on a MBP 2.16Ghz. I doubt a 7300 could get close so no fun.
I get great frame rates off my MBP 2.4 in Bioshock. Good times with boot camp.

But seriously, who buys a MP for games? (Though that is no excuse for a bad graphics card on them! Shame Apple!)

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post

But seriously, who buys a MP for games? (Though that is no excuse for a bad graphics card on them! Shame Apple!)
I do... Well let me put it another way - I am amazed that I love my MP like the day it came in the mail. I think its because I do ALL my work on it, it has a big screen so the work is comfortable, and it is powerful to do the video work on occasion. So now that we have an intel based Macs - the long cold winter in Michigan I can catch up on games I've always wanted to play but couldn't because I've owned mac's. It's not that anyone here buys a MP for games, but since it can do so many things why should it not play games as well.

I hate to say it but that statement is outdated and should be relegated to the days of the G5 PM

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
I hate to say it but that statement is outdated and should be relegated to the days of the G5 PM
Back when it was new, I got plenty of good gaming hours in on my G5 PM - Ghost Recon, Halo, Civ IV.... several other nice titles. Obviously paltry compared to PC or console gaming, but your point is that it shouldn't be unreasonable to play games in OS X with current hardware is very true, and has been true for a good number of years.

PaperNotes
Nov 24, 2007, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I get great frame rates off my MBP 2.4 in Bioshock. Good times with boot camp.

But seriously, who buys a MP for games?
Two or four processor cores just aren't going to be enough in a year or two. The current generation of games these last few months have gobbled up dual cores. My next Mac could very well be an eight core beast and will stick a Geforce 9 series SLI monster with 2GBs of VRAM in there for Boot Camp That will keep the blood flowing for some time.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Two or four processor cores just aren't going to be enough in a year or two. The current generation of games these last few months have gobbled up dual cores. My next Mac could very well be an eight core beast and will stick a Geforce 9 series SLI monster with 2GBs of VRAM in there for Boot Camp That will keep the blood flowing for some time.
Now THAT would be a computer to game with. I'm certainly not expecting my MBP to do high end games a year from now. (Just Starcraft 2 and Fallout 3. Really. I'll be good for a year! Especially if I get another expansion of Civ 4!)

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 05:47 PM

would it be OK to run this game under WINE when running 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook pro with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and a GeForce 8600M GT with 128 MB, or would I just have to use Boot camp anyway... (I'm thinking of wiping my computer clean over the holidays, reinstalling everything and then installing Vista Business or XP Buisness...

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2007, 06:04 PM

What I have decided to do is to pick up the nvidia 88xx card that should be offered with the new MP in a month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules