Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fascism

Fascism
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2016, 06:39 PM

Define this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2016, 08:01 PM

Am I allowed to look up definitions online to hone my interpretation?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2016, 08:23 PM

Facism was a political movement in Italy under Mussolini. Everything thing else that gets called Facism is pretty much wrong. It started and died there.

But as I said in the other thread, it's been misused so often that it has pretty much lost it's meaning. I would say the general definition at this point includes things like extreme nationalism, authoritarianism, racism, with healthy overtones of violence.

Once people started calling the Nazis facists, the original meaning faded into the sunset.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
NO!

Yes?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Facism was a political movement in Italy under Mussolini. Everything thing else that gets called Facism is pretty much wrong. It started and died there.

But as I said in the other thread, it's been misused so often that it has pretty much lost it's meaning. I would say the general definition at this point includes things like extreme nationalism, authoritarianism, racism, with healthy overtones of violence.

Once people started calling the Nazis facists, the original meaning faded into the sunset.
I tend to agree with the "meaningless" definition. Its seemingly applied to, on one end, every single dictator, and on the other, whiny college students.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I tend to agree with the "meaningless" definition. Its seemingly applied to, on one end, every single dictator, and on the other, whiny college students.
I don't like what you say! You're a facist!

Protesters shut down my rally! They are violating the 1st Amendment!

P
Mar 13, 2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Do that. Try Wikipedia, the section "Definition". Not so helpful.

I guess a fair description is that it originated in Italy as a response to all these newfangled liberal democracies and communist ideas, claiming that those things were now obsolete with the introduction of the total war in WWI. Someone who wants to dismantle democracy make themselves king/dictator can be considered a fascist, especially if there is some glorification of violence there. So... North Korea can be described as fascist. Daesh/ISIS too, and any other crazies of that ilk, Boko Haram and the like. Not too many other examples spring to mind.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2016, 11:00 AM

In my mind, it's more of a governmental thing than a small group of protesters.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2016, 01:17 PM

Umberto Eco tries to define fascism here:

http://www.pegc.us/archive/Articles/eco_ur-fascism.pdf

In leading up to his definition, he notes the "fuzzy" nature of what defines fascism, as opposed to something like Nazism, which has a much more rigorous definition, and can even be considered a philosophy unto itself.

He poses the question why cops get called "fascist pigs" and not "Nazi pigs", and opines it's due to the malleability of meaning with the former as opposed to the latter.

However, be warned that when he gets to his actual definition, he goes full metal Bertie Eco occult on your ass. I find what he says fascism is not to be more useful than what he says it is.

http://www.pegc.us/archive/Articles/eco_ur-fascism.pdf

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2016, 03:15 PM

Probably the easiest component to tease out of Eco's proposal is a sort of über-nationalism.

What makes a Nazi country great is its racial purity.

What makes a Communist country great is its proletariat.

What makes a Fascist country great is its that country. What makes you great isn't your racial makeup, or your labor, it's being born there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules