Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The $8000 question...

The $8000 question...
AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 01:48 AM

Ok here's my situation.

I currently own a lovely automobile that I've enjoyed the hell out of yet I have to come to grips with a very real and certain problem. I can not and will not be able to afford my pimp ride.

Here's my current soon to be former ride.

'93 BMW 325is
189hp inline 6
rear wheel drive
5 speed
2 door coupe
M3 front bumper

yet I'm a college student and I drive everywhere through horrid Miami traffic (anyone gets a licence here),
I'm getting like 19.6 mpg, and I learned the hard way that BMW repair bills aren't pretty. I've spent $1500 buck in repair bill in the last 10 months (clutch/flywheel/starter motor).

So it's got to go...

Now I need a nice "sporty" college car.
I need suggestions big time.

I hate domestics (save the neon crap).
I need the following ::

'96 or newer
60,000 miles or less
good gas mileage
sporty
cheap to own
all under $8000

I have car dealer hook ups but they're real jaded. So please help?!

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 02:06 AM

First of all, "sporty" = higher repair costs + higher probability of speeding tickets (regardless of how you drive) + higher price to purchase + lower fuel efficiency. In other words, "sporty" pretty well deep-sixes everything else you seek. Drop "sporty" and finding one should be easier.

Since you're in south Florida, have you tried searching the obituaries and estate auctions?
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Nov 5, 2002, 02:07 AM

What about a Toyota Solara? or a Honda Accord? Those are nice and almost never have problems, from what my friends have said. Also, my friend has a Saturn that gets great mileage and never breaks.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 02:19 AM

Ice? Is that you?

Anyway....

You could also learn to do your own repairs. Might save you a bit of coin.

Bbut the thing to remember is there are cars that just don't break. I'm thinkning Toyotas and Hondas. The coupe versions (Accord Coupe Camry Solara) are a good selection. But it wouldn't hurt any of your criteria to go little: Civic, Prelude, Celica. That'll get you the economical and the sporty without too many tradeoffs.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 02:19 AM

for something in that old-age, high-mileage range, make sure it's Japanese or German.

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 02:28 AM

unfiortunitly sporty and cheap to own are hard to come by

need to know to what degree do you want sporty?
solara/arrocrd coup sporty or supura sporty or vette sporty or celica sporty?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 02:57 AM

If you can't afford a '93 3 Series, uhm.. good luck affording something else. The only think I can think of (since it doesn't snow in miami) try something like a 96 Camaro. It should fit in to all your criteria except gas milage. Then again you could get a puss.... i mean V6 model. The V6 would fit all your criteria. Repairs should be minimal, and their cost would be about as cheap as you can get, and they are probably the easiest do-it-yourselfers. Compared to like a VW or something. (No such thing as do-it-yourself Cadillac repair:-))

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:01 AM

Wait a minute give more info on the BMW. Are you making payments or is it just the $1500 repair bills that make you want to get rid of it. The gas milage doesn't seem bad at all.

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 03:03 AM

I'm not not afraid to do my own repair (did some on the beamer) or go the "rice burner" route and hook up a plain-jane econo box. I have a really love for hatches. I alway loved VWs. But the Golfs are iffy on quality in the used market.

Ok-Ok scratch sporty. But please any personal experience with certain makes or models. I'm despriate for a fresh take like I said I have car hook ups for prices. But I'll be damn if they're not jaded or if not that they try to sell me another BMW or Acura they just sell any old thing that I might bring up...

me :: "hey what about XYZ car?"
salesman/friend :: "Oh man great car"

I don't need a cheerleader I just some honest feedback on a reliable college car. Gotta last atleast 3-5 yrs. etc...

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:05 AM

Camaros tend to last, minus all the ones that get wrapped around trees and telephone polls etc

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 03:13 AM

It's not the $1500 it's the car is just haunted...

I see more bills coming.

in order of occurence ::

1 :: starter motorer (replace/installed myself... bitch on a German car)

2 :: tow truck rips entire front bumper off in route to check to have start motor professionally install as originally planned

3 :: AAA refuses to pay for drunken tow truck drivers screw up (many months and threated law suits later they cough up the dough after speaking to a VP of AAA no less)

4 :: clutch goes

5 :: fly wheel goes ($600 bucks part alone... at this point a ulcerous pain settles along with the feeling that my car is haunted)

6 :: car is back from shop styling & profiling w/ new bumper and all and the door lock start failing and so does the tail light circuit (cost for each one $300 part alone)

7 :: SRS (air bag system) not reset by idiots @ the repair shop.

8 :: Me very angry man

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 03:15 AM

My dad had a 300-400 hp Trans AM.

I know all bout American Muscle but I just don't generally dig the domestics.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:20 AM

Well you have a tough set of criteria to match, I don't exactly consider a Civic or a Solara sporty by any means. Perhaps you should keep the 325 and take it to a psychic? Neons do suck but ask cash about his SVX if he hasn't wrecked it yet.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 03:40 AM

How do you feel about Hondas?

1997 Honda Civic EX coupe, manual, AM/FM cassette, power doors/windows, cruise, moonroof, good condition -- Kelley Blue Book private-party value $7,350.

The '96-'00 gen Civics are good cars. They cheapened 'em up in '01. I have a '96 sedan that's been good to me. Very reliable, but lacking that "ooh aah" factor if you need that. But it would be a solid college car that would last. Big aftermarket for mod options, although I'm not a fan of modded Civics myself.

If you want sportier you could look into Preludes or Integras, but I don't have personal experience with those. Plus, if you're at college those would have more of a tendency to get broken into.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:50 AM

http://www.fiero.net/shows/rutland99/rutland99-18.jpg

Cheap. Sporty (very fast). You can even buy kits to fit a small block in one of those. There is no adverb accurate enough to describe the way this car with a V8 would SCREAM "Death Trap". :-)

Can I go to bed now?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 04:02 AM

Just paging through '97-ish cars at Edmunds.com ... Nissan Altima or 240SX? Mitsubishi Eclipse?

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 04:17 AM

240 SX are great but ragged out to sh*t here in Miami.

Altimas are too family sedan-ish

crap...

As typical and common as it maybe.

It's Honda Civic time for me.

I didn't mention it because I wanted to see if it would be what you guys suggest also.

Damn!

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:

crap...

As typical and common as it maybe.

It's Honda Civic time for me.

Damn!
Enjoy

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2002, 05:53 AM

You could always pick up a $3000 Neon and get Ca$h to "fix" it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 5, 2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
You could always pick up a $3000 Neon and get Ca$h to "fix" it.
Or pick up a $6000 R/T and not have to do anything to it

ringo
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 10:22 AM

Another vote for Saturn. I'm driving a 2000 and it is fuel efficient and reliable. I haven't had to put any money into it except for routine fluid changes and tires.

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 02:35 PM

Get yourself a bike (a bicycle)! It�s cheap, saves gas, you can impress chicks if you manage to accelerate with a wheelie.....

Seriously: why on earth needs a college guy a car??

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Get yourself a bike (a bicycle)! It�s cheap, saves gas, you can impress chicks if you manage to accelerate with a wheelie.....

upgrade to a moped and you'll be really stylin'!

as for needing a car at uni...well I went to a prettly rurul university, nothing close by, not even grocery stores, and a car was a necessity. don't forget that the US doesn't have readily available public transportation in most places, and things tend to be spread out.

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 05:55 PM

I live in Miami... it is impossible to go any where with out a car. Also traffic is horrible. There is no real public transportation system to speak of.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 06:48 PM

I hereby vote against the Civic. Unfortunately it is the only vote i have cast today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules