Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network iMac w/Compaq & Gateway

Network iMac w/Compaq & Gateway
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hello All

Networking is something that is definitely new to me. However, after this semester winds down my roommates and i were thinking of connecting all of our computers to share music. This involves an iMac/600, a Compaq Laptop, and an older Gateway. We have our cable modem for internet and our hub ready set up and going. We have not been able to access each others computers though. Basically we all want to share our music folders so we don't have to transfer them through AIM or MSN Messenger. What are some of the first steps we need to do to make this happen?

Thanks
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 10, 2003, 09:56 AM

On the PCs, go into the Network control panel and enable sharing. Once you've done that, find the drive or directory they want to share, right click it and choose sharing. Now, I think the easiest way to transfer music is for you to connect to their computer, send all of your music to them, and then grab theirs. They can exchange music between themselves. It's kinda tricky to share with OS X, because you can't easily share specific directories, and I've never been able to get a Windows 98 computer to connect to my Mac. If they're running Win2K or XP they should be able to.

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules