Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MSN Messenger Sucks Ass

MSN Messenger Sucks Ass
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 04:28 PM

so i'm in college and part of the social life that includes being in college is chatting online. i use both aol and msn because everyone else does. its an easy to keep in touch and cheaper than cell phones, we are all short on minutes anyways. however, i can't stay logged into msn for more than an hour while "away" while my roommates who both have pc's can, why does msn cripple our abilities? **** you msn

i guess what i want is ichat with msn capabilities, anyone see this happening soon? i really wish it would, ichat is the best chat software available across any platform.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 05:08 PM

MSN have just (i.e. yesterday) cancelled support for ALL third party MSN clients. As a Fire user, I was out of luck.

I've now switched to Jabber. Everyone who wants to speak to me can either switch or use email.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 16, 2003, 05:10 PM

Start an "MSN Sucks" campaign and get everyone to switch to AOL.

Maybe Apple can pull an 'iTunes'-move and bring iChat AV to PCs. Although I sincerely hope they don't...if Apple start porting their apps to the PC, people would have no point in switching to Mac.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
so i'm in college and part of the social life that includes being in college is chatting online. i use both aol and msn because everyone else does. its an easy to keep in touch and cheaper than cell phones, we are all short on minutes anyways. however, i can't stay logged into msn for more than an hour while "away" while my roommates who both have pc's can, why does msn cripple our abilities? **** you msn

i guess what i want is ichat with msn capabilities, anyone see this happening soon? i really wish it would, ichat is the best chat software available across any platform.
MSN Messenger logs you out when the machine goes to sleep, and it doesn't automatically log you back in on wakeup (like iChat does). So you have to click and log back in. Sorta sucks, but I don't have THAT many problems with frequent logouts if the machine doesn't go to sleep.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
MSN Messenger logs you out when the machine goes to sleep, and it doesn't automatically log you back in on wakeup (like iChat does). So you have to click and log back in. Sorta sucks, but I don't have THAT many problems with frequent logouts if the machine doesn't go to sleep.
i only have my machine set to have the display sleep, but i'll turn that off and give it a try. i guess this posting was out of frustrating as i'm trying to hear from group members for a project thats been driving me into the wall ...

i'm gonna try jabber
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
MSN have just (i.e. yesterday) cancelled support for ALL third party MSN clients. As a Fire user, I was out of luck.

I've now switched to Jabber. Everyone who wants to speak to me can either switch or use email.

Amorya

Fire has been updated to support the msn update:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8933

Personlly I don't find msn messenger that bad.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 05:03 PM

at least mac msn doesnt have tabs or any of that ****
and i can stay away and not get logged out but it is a bit flakey at keeping you logged in but pc msn is exactly the same

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 11:23 PM

I downloaded Fire and my user account never gets past "Connecting" while I have no problem with MSN Messenger. This is the latest "fixed" Fire.

proton
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 11:45 PM

clarkgoble:

Can you go into System Preferences, enter a HTTPS proxy if you don't have one. You can remove it again after applying it.

I believe that there may be a bug in the HTTPS proxy detection code that has affected some Proteus users. I'm currently working on tracking it down.

- proton

Leibowitzn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 04:00 AM

For MSN I use fire as well. Fire interface kicks ass compared to MSN (not to mention being able to connect to ICQ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules