Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Re: Should I Buy Tiger?

Re: Should I Buy Tiger?
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 04:42 PM

I was interested in reading the posts in the forum on this topic but I was a little disappointed with everyone making fun of this individual planning his 2005 budget -- so I started a new thread with real responses to his question. Simple enough: should he/she buy tiger?

Personally, I have not seen anything new in Tiger that has me interested in Tiger. I typically buy every-other OS upgrade because my iMac is old (iMac G3-600), i'm a student (yeah its only $69 - but that buys a lot of beer), and i'm more into aesthetic changes than under the hood repairs. I will buy a new mac when i graduate and that will have Tiger or better on it.

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. Thats been my outlook on Tiger.

Cheers.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
I was interested in reading the posts in the forum on this topic but I was a little disappointed with everyone making fun of this individual planning his 2005 budget -- so I started a new thread with real responses to his question. Simple enough: should he/she buy tiger?

Personally, I have not seen anything new in Tiger that has me interested in Tiger. I typically buy every-other OS upgrade because my iMac is old (iMac G3-600), i'm a student (yeah its only $69 - but that buys a lot of beer), and i'm more into aesthetic changes than under the hood repairs. I will buy a new mac when i graduate and that will have Tiger or better on it.

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. Thats been my outlook on Tiger.

Cheers.
It's the under the hood changes that'll drive the aesthetic ones. Soon enough you'll find that the aesthetic changes are just that, aesthetic, and don't drastically affect how you use your computer. As you continue to use it, you'll find yourself relying on those little features that you never thought of or considered. Often the most useful and greatest features are the ones that aren't outwardly whizbang impressive, therefore they aren't publicized. From everything I've gathered I'm seeing a lot of "x and y were completely rewritten", "JavaScript support in Safari is over 10X faster" and so and and so forth. Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.3 brought Mac OS X up to par speedwise and functionality wise with every other OS. With Panther as a foundation, Tiger is finally able to open up and provide accessible frameworks for all its major services. It's able to introduce a revolutionary change like Spotlight, allowing for immediate access to all your files without monotonous categorization. In the months following Tiger, you'll start to see "Only for 10.4" more and more. Just like the introduction of WebKit, apps will start to take advantage of CoreImage, CoreVideo, Spotlight and all the new technology.

Anyways quite honestly, Tiger, for me, is one the most exciting release of Mac OS X thusfar. Not because of any particular feature or speed gain; but because Apple has largely rectified all the major issues in Mac OS X, it's able to focus on reworking, recreating and refining every aspect of the operating system. I can't wait

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 06:50 PM

I truly believe that unless you have a fairly old Mac Tiger is going to be a must have upgrade. There are going to be so many numerous updates that, as Synotic has mentioned, haven't been discussed that will improve your computing experience. I'm most interested in how the applications in Tiger will begin to share their information more. OpenDoc was once thought to be the future of computing by building larger apps from interconnected smaller modules. That never came to fruition but what we do have now coming is the improved ability to store information in applications and access that info from multiple sources.

Apple is really unifying how we bring things into the computer and modify and store them. Spotlight at first glance looks like just a search tool but it's more than that. It's an organization tool that is very powerful depending on how you use it.

I'm glad it's not coming until 2005. Finally we'll have an OS hit with some decent support right from the start. I imagine the final Quicktime that is shipping is going to be very decent as well.

You will know a lot more by the time Tiger ships so that you can make a better and more informed decision.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:

Cheers.
I plan on picking up Tigger as soon as available. It looks very packed with nifties. My only concern: I know it will run on my G5 and iBook, but is this the version that leaves my G3 600 MHz iMac behind?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 02:16 AM

The latest edition of MacAddict has a great cover story on Tiger and nicely puts everything into perspective. The .Mac Sync replacing iSync was a new one and a good one. Automator for easy AppleScripting, SafariRSS, updated QT, etc.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 05:14 AM

If you are planning a budget, definitely put this in there You can't be SURE until later... at which point, maybe you'll have 129 extra bucks you weren't counting on.

Right now, nobody KNOWS... and, as always, it depends on the individual. Since neither you nor the last thread starter indicated straight off what specifically you would use a computer for, it is hard to say (if you only want aesthetic changes, go buy shapeshifter....). We now have two things we don't know: what Tiger is, and what it should be to recommend purchasing. Throw in the fact that we don't know your budget, it makes it a toss.

From what we know of what Tiger is supposed to be, it looks as if it will be a decent upgrade. Purposefully vague, because any more and I'd be making assumptions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules