Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How do you change and organize your wallpaper?

View Poll Results: How do you change and organize your wallpaper?
Poll Options:
Place them in the Desktop Pictures folder in the Library and then choosing them from the preference pane. 3 votes (7.14%)
Place them in your own hierarchy of folders and then use "choose folder" in preference pane. 21 votes (50.00%)
Organize them iPhoto and then use the preference pane to choose. 4 votes (9.52%)
Place them in your own hierarchy of folders and then use an app like FruitMenu to select from a contextual menu. 1 votes (2.38%)
Use Deskshade. 13 votes (30.95%)
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
How do you change and organize your wallpaper?
Fusion
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 03:20 AM

So there are a couple ways to do it, but I am not completely happy with any of them.
[list=1][*]Place them in the Desktop Pictures folder in the Library and then choosing them from the preference pane.[*]Place them in your own hierarchy of folders and then use "choose folder" in preference pane.[*]Organize them iPhoto and then use the preference pane to choose.[*]Place them in your own hierarchy of folders and then use an app like FruitMenu to select from a contextual menu.[*]Use Deskshade.[/list=1]

I would really love an app exactly like Pixadex that would let me organize my desktop pictures and select them when I want. There is a new option that comes close to this in the new Deskshade, but unfortunately you have to keep Deskshade running and it places an icon in the menu bar (I already have enough of those).

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2004, 03:45 AM

I usually select the wallpapers by just browsing Pictures - all of the new wallpapers go there for starters. Then I make a alphabetic hierachy of folders "0-B" "C-D" etc. I can't for the life of me understand why making thumbnails of images can take so f'ing long. I don't want to wait forever to get a preview of a wallpaper before I select it. I hope this will change as soon as I get my G5 iMac.

I'm on a 800Mhz G4 with 512mb ram and it takes forever IMHO. A Pixadex solution sounds like a plan. Maybe Iconfactory (I know, the name says otherwise) could make something like this!? They did make that CPU meter afterall - which has nothing to do with icons.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

skellington
Dec 5, 2004, 04:47 AM

i used deskshade2.
it is a nice software!!
kenichi yoshida
www.kenichiyoshida.jp

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
. I can't for the life of me understand why making thumbnails of images can take so f'ing long. I don't want to wait forever to get a preview of a wallpaper before I select it. I hope this will change as soon as I get my G5 iMac.
It's still slow on a Dual 2.0 with 3gb's of ram...(compared to windows).

A cool hint someone here mentioned was to drop all of the walls into Pic-2-icon so the thumbnail view can be actually in the incon and not have to be redrawn on each view.

Let's hope Tiger addresses this.

mac15
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 08:58 AM

I used to use the process of pic2icon and my pictures folder but now deskshade all the way!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
I used to use the process of pic2icon and my pictures folder but now deskshade all the way!
I use Deskshade 2 most of the time as well. The only problem is it doesn't self refresh so new walls won't show up until a log out.....great app though, especially the hue shift/save feature!

Makki
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 09:11 AM

Ya i also like the Deskshade too. it is a great app minus the shortcomings DJ mentioned.
I try to keep my desktop wallpapers sorted by folder so not so hard to find cuz i have tons hehe lol

Makki

mac15
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 09:12 AM

I don't use the huge shift feature much, I love the 'drag n drop' . It's such a time saver when browsing say DA or PGP

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 10:10 AM

I have never heard of Deskshade. I just went onto Google and tried to get information about the software. No luck. Could someone please post a link to the Deskshade's home page?

Thanks.

mac15
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 10:26 AM

haley
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 11:08 AM

I really don't like iPhoto that much, but I must admit I do use it. Am I stupid or is there no "Reveal in Finder" kind of thing like there is in iTunes?

Desktop pic organizing just drives me crazy though. I wish there were some way to put things together easily in different ways, like by color or, what I would love the most, by theme.

In my ideal world, you would get a new DP and open it in some app (maybe DeskShade) that would then display a list of your themes. You'd pick what themes the picture matches and would also be able to shift the colors like in DeskShade and add that modded pic to other themes. You could also add your own albums like in DeskShade, but the main thing I'd use is the categorizing by theme thing. Also, it would organize your files in the Finder for you and you would be able to "Reveal in Finder". Then you could leave the organizing mode or whatever and click some button like "Show Pictures for Current Theme" and voila, all of the pics that match your current theme would show up.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2004, 11:11 AM

DeskShade seems like the best solution to me, but I don't change mine enough to justify the price tag. I voted for number 2.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
http://www.macrabbit.com/deskshade/ there you go mate!
Thanks, Mac

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 12:01 PM

Browse........ right click>set as desktop picture.

Fruit Menu. I only have about ten Dps that I use on a regular basis. I am not that big on changing every day or so. Plus, I can't stand clutter in my menubar.

Gadifae
Dec 5, 2004, 12:23 PM

I alternate between FruitMenu and the TK Desktop Module for QuickSilver.

If the image is one I just downloaded, then I usually give the job to FruitMenu. But if its one that I've had for a while than a quick series of keystrokes changes my wallpaper.

[1] Command-Space to Activate QuickSilver
[2] "P" to access my Pictures folder
[3] Right-Arrow into the Pictures folder
[4] Down-Arrow to select which picture I want to use, then...
[5] Tab, once the wallpaper I want is found, followed by...
[6] "S" for the Set Desktop Picture command, followed by...
[7] Return, which causes the new wallpaper to appear.

G.

Seph
Dec 5, 2004, 02:19 PM

Sorry, you alternate between fruitmenu and then what?

I Use Deskshade but i really could do without the taskbar icon. It breaks my Menubar Mojo ... I cant believe you cant even resize the change background picture pane in OS X. Dualie 2.0 2048mb of ram and its slow as hell to open my folders...
( Last edited by Seph; Dec 5, 2004 at 02:24 PM. )

Join the A.B.S.T. S1 Print Request - Do It.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 09:45 PM

i just "Place them in your own hierarchy of folders and then use "choose folder" in preference pane."

but i have been using Deskshade a bit as well... but i just can't understand why i'm using another app to change wallpapers when there's already that in Sys Prefs? i guess DS does just let you have a lot of different folders in the sidebar, in Sys Prefs you've got to choose only one folder at a time, which is kind of annoying.

i also have my pictures all organized by category, ie - '3d/abstract', 'simply/designy' etc.

ArcticBear
Dec 6, 2004, 12:26 PM

I have one folder "Desktops" and in that usually folders labeled by the site I got them from. That way if anyone asks, where did you find that? I usually can tell. Or if I want to surf over and see if they've done any new work I know where to look.

Also a special folder in there for small patterns/tiles.

The standard Desktop preference pane I find too clunky and not customizable enough. At least in Jaguar you can't add a list of your own folders, only one. And it doesn't show the contents of subfolders. (I don't recall if this has changed in Panther prefs... I'm in the process of switching over.)

I run ChangeDesktop if I feel like switching backgrounds on a regular basis.

ShapeShifter needs more customizability on how different sizes of desktops are displayed. I might use that as my default program if there were more options/better control.

HytestA
Dec 6, 2004, 01:00 PM

I manage all my desktops via iPhoto just due to the sheer amount of pics and sub-catagorising i use, I think its the most convenient for me... although i've not seen a desktop pic for a few months as im now using a little app called OSXPlanet to display global weather/sunlight etc. Im still using iPhoto to control my desktop pics for screensaver / slideshow purposes
...ill get my coat

Forum Links
Forum Rules