Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I seem to have a folder that doesn't exist?

I seem to have a folder that doesn't exist?
TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 12:37 AM

So, I whenever I set azureus to download to a folder on my external hard drive, it keeps defaulting to a folder called FW 800 DRIVE 2. Searches in spotlight do not reveal this folder, it is no where to be found on the external hard drive, and instead seems to download somewhere on to my powerbooks hard drive. The only way I can find it is from Azureus using the "show in finder" option when you right click.

Once I do this to find the files and use "get info" to try and get an extension or some hint of where this folder really is, it doesn't tell me anything at all. Anyone have any clue as to what's really going on here?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2006, 01:45 AM

Have you restarted the computer since this started happening? It sounds like the drive somehow got removed incorrectly, and the automount program didn't delete its old mount point.

Anyway, if you command-click on a window title in the Finder, it will show you the path to the folder.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iYeat
Aug 28, 2006, 04:22 AM

Agreed with Chuck. When OS X mounts a drive it usually puts an alias to it in the (invisible) /Volumes folder. If a drive is not unmounted properly that alias doesn't go away as it should...

Restarting should do the trick. To be safe I'd shut down, disconnect all storage devices, start up, and reconnect them.
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 09:08 PM

I'vev restarted/shut down many a time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2006, 09:26 PM

There are several ways to tell where a folder is once you have it open in Finder.

a) Hold down the command key and click the name of the folder in the window title.
b) Add a path menu to the Finder toolbar and click it.
c) Switch to column view and scroll leftwards.

My guess is that it's in the /Volumes folder. It's an invisible folder where all volumes are mounted to. Just drag it out there. Don't drag out the volumes aliases of course.

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 10:52 PM

That is where it is. Is there a way I can m ake it non-invisible?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2006, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic
Is there a way I can m ake it non-invisible?
The Volumes folder? Why would you want to do that?

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2006, 09:17 AM

so I can access all of the files that wound up there and move them to where I actually want them.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2006, 09:23 AM

I don't think I understand you.

What I thought happened to you is that you have a folder called "FW 800 DRIVE 2" and you revealed that in Finder using the P2P software. If so then just drag that folder from wherever it is now (and it seems to be inside the hidden /Volumes folder if I understand you correctly) drag it from where it is now to someplace else like the Desktop.

Leave the hidden /Volumes folder alone. It's neither supposed to be visible nor to be used to store documents. It's just the mount point for volumes (some Unix technicality).

I'm sorry if I misunderstand your problem here though.

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 12:42 PM

Well, in Azureus you can only see the file you're downloading in the finder if you still have the torrent running. I have since removed these files from the Azureus client, so I have no way of viewing them. I suppose I could download another file just to reach the folder though. Thanks for the help.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2006, 01:14 PM

You can get to the folder with Finder's Go To Folder command (under the Go menu). Just go to that and type in "/Volumes" (with the slash, no quotes).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

P
Aug 31, 2006, 04:46 PM

Open the Volumes folder like Chuckit suggested. Click and hold on the small folder icon in the titlebar of the window that just opened (it's called a proxy icon, btw). Press and hold command and option. Still holding the mouse button and the two modifier keys down, drag it out onto the desktop. Release. You've just created a shortcut to the Volumes folder on your desktop.

You can also control where Azureus puts its files. It's in its Preferences somewhere.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 04:55 PM

Don't change anything about the Volumes folder, just move your FW 800 DRIVE 2 folder to another place (out of the Volumes folder) by dragging the titlebar icon. And don't forget to change your default download location.

This same thing happened to me once in LimeWire. I assume that LimeWire had an old path in its prefs, and it was smart enough to create a new download folder if the one that was set didn't exist (so nothing about improperly unmounting the drive, just about the download program not special-casing directories in /Volumes).

Forum Links
Forum Rules