Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can’t view iPhotos on one computer

Can’t view iPhotos on one computer
bojangles
Senior User
Sep 8, 2010, 03:14 PM

I just inherited a Mac mini (1.42-GHz G4) from a friend, planning to use it as a small media server. I started by installing Mac OS X v.10.5.8, iLife ’09 (sans iMovie), and everything Software Update offered me (including iTunes 10). I then ran an ethernet cable to my network hub (router: AirPort Extreme w/gigabit ethernet) and opened iPhoto, pointing it to a library on a shared drive. Since I’ve been accessing my iPhotos via this method for years, I figured all would work fine—and it did, to a point.

Opening iPhoto was quick and painless, and all of my events and thumbnails showed up as expected. Unfortunately, when I went to expand a photo from the thumbnail… nothing. Selecting the thumbnail gives me the standard yellow-highlight border, but double-clicking just changes that border to a pale blue, with no further discernible result.

Since double-clicking didn’t work, I tried the Edit button instead. This sends me into edit mode, complete with a horizontal list of photos across the top—but the main pane remains black. If I slide the magnifier (at lower right), the Navigation floater pops up instantly with the thumbnail therein, but still nothing in the main pane—just black.

On a whim, I held down the option key while starting iPhoto and created a brand new library. I imported about a dozen photos into it—none of which came from the library I had been using—and tried again. The results were exactly the same. I then repaired the permissions; no change. I even deleted iPhoto and reinstalled from the DVD (and re-updated to 8.1.2, of course); still nuzzin.

Might it be because there’s only 512MB of RAM installed? I do have a 1GB stick coming in the mail, so if that’s all it is, I should be good in a few days. Seems like an odd way for insufficient RAM to present itself, though, doesn’t it?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 08:08 PM

Update: I received the RAM today and updated. (Turns out it’s actually a 2GB stick, but the mini only sees 1GB anyway, so whatever.) Functionality is exactly the same, so it’s obviously not a RAM thing.

So… anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2010, 03:43 PM

Welp, I found the culprit: apparently iPhoto doesn’t like being on a headless machine. Someone else had the same problem.

Thanks for all who looked! :-)
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules