Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What a horrible usage of the Leopard GUI..

What a horrible usage of the Leopard GUI..
Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 12:36 PM

I mean the layout and usability is decent.. but the services they are offering..

..:: uPiri : Scam Archive ::..

There has got to be a way to shut sites like this down. I am all for freedom of speech and all.. but come on.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I mean the layout and usability is decent.. but the services they are offering..

..:: uPiri : Scam Archive ::..

There has got to be a way to shut sites like this down. I am all for freedom of speech and all.. but come on.
You can find out who they're registered with and then tell the registrar.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 01:07 PM

And yet here you are, posting an obscure link to a site that promotes stealing personal banking information from people simply because the GUI resembles Leopard.

Some things are better left NOT posted and linked to.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 01:38 PM

Aqua-Soft Forums - News is another site which looks like an OS X window. The gel button even works.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

I agree pretty fugly especially since it seems a mixed bag and inconsistent

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
And yet here you are, posting an obscure link to a site that promotes stealing personal banking information from people simply because the GUI resembles Leopard.

Some things are better left NOT posted and linked to.
Maybe I feel that the people that post here are probably above doing such things because they have high equivalency scores in both morals and smarts?

And I just reported them to their ISP.
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Aqua-Soft Forums - News is another site which looks like an OS X window. The gel button even works.
Well there are a ton of Aqua looking sites out there. But that wasn't my point.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Of course the gel button works...you're using a Mac.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 02:20 PM

Yeah I am sure that isn't a gel button in Windows.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 02:25 PM

Yeah I am sure that isn't a gel button in Windows.
Yes they are. I'm on a pc here at work and they're showing up in firefox.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 03:12 PM

Those buttons are just images, there are no Leopard GUI calls being invoked here (you can't through a web browser even if you wanted to), this site is built off of images... Not a big deal, really, technically speaking...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 26, 2007, 03:31 PM

Um...I don't think anybody was gawking over the technical prowess of the site's creator, but rather their rip-off of the GUI.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 03:37 PM

What do intellectual property laws say about using artistic elements from an OS? There are obviously a lot of screenshots including OS elements used to sell things, and some times various OS widgets and concepts used to communicate things. What is the legal precedent here?

I'm kind of assuming that the only OS elements that aren't up-for-grabs are icons, because it would be a rather futile and endless legal battle to get people to credit Apple or Microsoft or the makers of Gnome/KDE for every screenshot used to entice that includes some elements of one of these respective OSes.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 03:52 PM

I don't think this thread is about the legal ramifications of taking images from OSX and using them on a commercial website but rather a poorly and inconsistent website that is using GUI elements from Leopard and/or other versions of OSX for that matter.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 03:59 PM

Well, it's not exactly Leopard either.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I don't think this thread is about the legal ramifications of taking images from OSX and using them on a commercial website but rather a poorly and inconsistent website that is using GUI elements from Leopard and/or other versions of OSX for that matter.
I know, it was a question on the side...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 05:06 PM

Not really germane to the conversation and since you didn't start this thread the OP might think you're hijacking the thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 05:11 PM

Not really germane to the conversation and since you didn't start this thread the OP might think you're hijacking the thread.
Conversation is an organic thing that often spins off into many different directions, this is a part of what can make it fun and interesting... If Kevin (or any other poster) wants to keep the thread confined in such a manner, I will respect that. Otherwise, I will assume indifference and flexibility, as I think we all do naturally.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 05:33 PM

Actually the site is about OS X's GUI being used for horrible purposes!!!1 Either way, I don't think Besson was around during the great Aqua purge of 2000-2001. Or at least remembers it.
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Conversation is an organic thing that often spins off into many different directions, this is a part of what can make it fun and interesting... If Kevin (or any other poster) wants to keep the thread confined in such a manner, I will respect that. Otherwise, I will assume indifference and flexibility, as I think we all do naturally.
Actually besson you doing it backwards. You need to respect the thread and it's topic until the OP says differently. Not go off into tangents UNTIL the OP complains. The rules are to not normally go against the topic. But to stay with it.

If the OP later say "I don't care" then it's ok. Not the other way around.

While I agree conversations can grow and change, these are the rules the owners have placed by. And by registering, you agreed to them.
Yes they are. I'm on a pc here at work and they're showing up in firefox.
I apologize then. Sorry. I thought it was an OS X specific thing.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 27, 2007 at 08:42 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 06:15 PM

Uh...please show me the part of the MacNN agreement that says threads MUST stay on topic UNTIL the OP allows them to do otherwise. And then show me more than three examples of where this has been enforced...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 06:17 PM

Getting back to the OP...

Report it to the FBI's internet crimes center:

http://www.ic3.gov/
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 07:46 PM

Should I even ask how you found it?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 08:17 PM

Conversation is an organic thing that often spins off into many different directions, this is a part of what can make it fun and interesting...
No that's actually chaos, confusion and disarray. As adults its usually good form not to change the subject while in the middle of a conversation. And what the heck is the term Conversation is an organic thing. Last time I check conversation is a communication medium not a living entity. Sounds more like an excuse by ill-mannered adults to hijack threads and justify their actions

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 08:24 PM

No that's actually chaos, confusion and disarray. As adults its usually good form not to change the subject while in the middle of a conversation. And what the heck is the term Conversation is an organic thing. Last time I check conversation is a communication medium not a living entity. Sounds more like an excuse by ill-mannered adults to hijack threads and justify their actions
A thread is not a conversation, a thread is a starting place for multithreaded dialog. In any given thread there are often several conversations going on at the same time, many between particular individuals (a subset of the overall thread participants). In any given thread there are posts which appear out of order in comparison to how they might in a real life conversation, as there is often a lag between responses.

A forum thread is a much different animal than real life conversation. Starting a thread is sort of like an organic thing where you plant a seed and see where things go. As Laminar pointed out, there are usually several forks and digressions in any given thread - definitely more often than not.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 09:19 PM

A thread is not a conversation,
Well then why did you put
Conversation is an organic thing that often spins off into many different directions
You seem to be contradicting yourself. In one post you are condescendingly chiding me that a conversation is organic. yet you now tell me that a thread is not a conversation.

You really cannot have it both ways. Besides a thread is a cohesive conversation on a specific topic with many participants providing their ideas.

Here's a blurb from wikipedia.
A threaded discussion is an electronic discussion (such as one via e-mail, e-mail list, bulletin board, newsgroup, or Internet forum) in which the software aids the user by visually grouping messages. Messages are usually grouped visually in a hierarchy by topic. A set of messages grouped in this way is called a topic thread
You are veering off the stated topic or in other words hijacking the thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 09:24 PM

How am I contradicting myself? Conversations occur when multithreaded dialog, but a thread does not represent a single conversation (this is why it is called a "thread").

At any rate, my interest in this semantic argument is rapidly waning... My point has been made.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 09:27 PM

How am I contradicting myself? Conversations occur when multithreaded dialog, but a thread does not represent a single conversation (this is why it is called a "thread").
Yes on a specific topic. You interjected a different topic

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 09:46 PM

Cool, I look forward to you asserting yourself the same way the next time somebody else in a different thread forks conversation.

Later.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2007, 10:19 PM

In the same way you did when you told him he was interjecting a different topic.

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 27, 2007, 01:31 AM

I fell for an eBay login scam once, but quickly realized the error when I glanced at the URL. I quickly logged into the real eBay and changed my password.

I'm in shock that such a resource as this exists. I always thought these bottom feeders created their own scams. But now I see they are such low lifes they don't even have to create the scams.

I hope the people who created and those who use these scams choke on a bone.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
In the same way you did when you told him he was interjecting a different topic.
You're right, I too am guilty of hijacking this thread. To the OP, I apologize for getting into it with besson and thus veering this thread off its topic.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Uh...please show me the part of the MacNN agreement that says threads MUST stay on topic UNTIL the OP allows them to do otherwise. And then show me more than three examples of where this has been enforced...
You agree to abide by the rules and procedures that admin and operators set forth. They have made rules that one isn't to derail threads. They have made exceptions with the OP doesn't mind.

Regardless of what anyone's perceived definition of a thread is, or how you believe it should go. It's irrelevant.

In other words, if I complain about the thread being derailed an op or admin would msg people asking them to stop. If I don't, they probably wont unless a bunch of other people complain.

Since it's one of my OWN weaknesses I try not to complain to much about it. Unless I think someone is doing it on purpose. I understand, like in real life, conversations flow and morph. That's just how it is. And I don't mind that.

But that is irrelevant too. If an admin or mod doesn't like what is going on, you're gonna get it suckaaah
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Should I even ask how you found it?
Spammer on IRC I had banned. I was tracing back his ip etc and found that site.
You're right, I too am guilty of hijacking this thread. To the OP, I apologize for getting into it with besson and thus veering this thread off its topic.
Don't worry about it. Not like I blamed you for it anyhow. It's sometimes hard not to take the baitards.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:09 PM

This thread is why the Lounge sucks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Kevin is why the Lounge sucks.
A bit harsh, don't you think?

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 02:35 PM

your mom was a bit harsh in bed last night, don't you think?
Quote fun - might as well go down in flames in style.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Quote fun - might as well go down on a flamer

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:43 PM

Woah...two actually funny posts in one day? Well done!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2007, 02:46 PM

Woah...two actually funny posts in one day? Well done!
Note to self: Laminar thinks that four dots are funny.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 02:49 PM

But not five. That's just plain offensive.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:53 PM

I have my standards, too.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
This thread is why the Lounge sucks.
I wouldn't blame the thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2007, 03:57 PM

So, what is the topic we are supposed to be talking about again, and can we also talk about ponies with blue hair?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 04:01 PM

NO! That's not on topic, and MacNN's rules clearly state that every thread must remain STRICTLY on topic.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 07:03 PM

NO! That's not on topic, and MacNN's rules clearly state that every thread must remain STRICTLY on topic.

Anyhow..
http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge...dated-2007-03/

Don't hijack or derail threads. Stay on topic. If you want to discuss a detail or offshoot, start another thread.

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 28, 2007, 10:45 AM

Looking back at the scam site, I don't even think that is their domain name. It is some mortgage company. I bet they hacked the server and placed their files on there. That used to happen at a place I worked at. Hackers would hack the server and upload movies and music. We would only find out after looking through logs and seeing files being downloaded we didn't place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules