Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Post complaints...

Post complaints...
Kevin
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 10:45 PM

If we are going to be making rule 8 violations for annoying post habits...

Can we ban posts like this?

Operation
Iraqi
Liberation

oh btw, we have another war in afghanistan....!!! we broke 2 countries oy!
I would say they were equally annoying. Add no substance, and the only point is to flame.

As a matter of fact, I think it's safe to say that these type of posts are MORE annoying, and do MORE harm to threads and the promotion of personal attacks than a rule 8 violation.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 22, 2006, 11:14 PM

etc., etc., etc. ...
I would say they were equally annoying. Add no substance, and the only point is to flame.

As a matter of fact, I think it's safe to say that these type of posts are MORE annoying, and do MORE harm to threads and the promotion of personal attacks than a rule 8 violation.

substance -> .

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 11:29 PM

It's a good thing I'm not drunk, that quote nexus would have made me pass out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No, we can't.

But you can report them.

Are you a n00b ?

-t

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

I'd like to see a new "no whining" rule here....

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 12:08 AM

you appear to be "teh n00b" turtle7

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 12:32 AM

Honestly, Kevin, you need to stop taking this so seriously.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 12:49 AM

No doubt it's just the internet.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Word.

-t

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 09:20 AM

Can we ban these types of threads, I seem to only see a couple of people whining about rule 8 violations.

Kevin you seem to be having some serious issues with 'NN why not take a break and enjoy the outside world for a while. That may put some of these rule issues in more of a perspective,i.e., not that important.
Michael

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 11:36 AM

How many times have you reported marden wisk? Or taken up for actions against him?

<pot> Hey kettle
<kettle> hey pot
<pot>You're black.

I am betting you didn't tell the person that whined about rule 8 violations to get a life did you Wisk.. no, no you didn't. You supported such things.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Can we ban these types of threads, I seem to only see a couple of people whining about rule 8 violations.

Kevin you seem to be having some serious issues with 'NN why not take a break and enjoy the outside world for a while. That may put some of these rule issues in more of a perspective,i.e., not that important.
I am not whining about rule 8. I am saying there are other posting types MORE ANNOYING and harmful that rule 8 that need to be considered. And it's TRUE!

What's the problem?

I am not saying to take away rule 8. KEEP IT! But lets add post types that are equally or MORE annoying to the rules as well.

What would be the problem with that?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 11:57 AM

How many times have you reported marden wisk? Or taken up for actions against him?
Not once.

I don't take this so seriously that I need to report anyone for anything. I actually find marden to be entertaining.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:06 PM

Not once.

I don't take this so seriously that I need to report anyone for anything. I actually find marden to be entertaining.
Ok but you've taken up for the rule 8 violation and supported it. Wouldn't that be you just whining too?

All I am saying is, there are posts much worse and annoying than that that needs taken care of as well.

I don't believe this is whining. No more than people reporting rule 8 violations or supporting the rule 8.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 12:34 PM

Ok but you've taken up for the rule 8 violation and supported it. Wouldn't that be you just whining too?
Please point out where I have called for or supported a "rule 8 violation".

I have told marden that "given the nature of [his] posts, and the heavy bias of [his] sources, I stopped reading [his] links, and the quotes from [his] links, a long time ago". When his posts are almost completely comprised of other people's opinions, it's impossible to respond, because you have to respond to someone who isn't present. But, I didn't report him, nor did I call "Rule 8!!!".

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:42 PM

I figured those annoyed by rule 8 violators, would ALSO be annoyed by people who make posts like I quoted above.

But for some reason, they don't seem to be, even though said type of post is more harmful.

I wonder why that is.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 12:58 PM

I have told marden that "given the nature of [his] posts, and the heavy bias of [his] sources, I stopped reading [his] links, and the quotes from [his] links, a long time ago". When his posts are almost completely comprised of other people's opinions, it's impossible to respond, because you have to respond to someone who isn't present. But, I didn't report him, nor did I call "Rule 8!!!".
Ditto. (Well, I never actually told marden this directly, but I agree 100% with Wiskedjak's assessment of the situation.)

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 01:29 PM

And how do you feel about posts above that I quoted? They too would fall under the same problem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Ditto. (Well, I never actually told marden this directly, but I agree 100% with Wiskedjak's assessment of the situation.)

I agree too!

I also agree that none of this is very important stuff. None at all. Very unimportant. Whether or not that bird outside decides to land on this branch in a tree I like is more important... So the math works out something like this:

MacNN drama + bird landing on branch = 0.0000000001 importance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 02:58 PM

Maybe I should setup a webcam outside so that Kevin can monitor this tree branch?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe I should setup a webcam outside so that Kevin can monitor this tree branch?
AHAHAH BESSON IS BEING CONDESCENDING TO PEOPLE!!11

LAWLS!

YES HE IS!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 03:12 PM

I actually think my bird webcam idea is a pretty good one.

This way, Kevin can render verdicts on all of the birds that do or don't decide to land on branches, can get in their faces 24/7, and can call them hypocrits and point out that they are making ad hominums. While he is preoccupied and obsessing, perhaps we can have some pleasant conversation around here?

I would feel sorry for the birds though. Maybe I should pick out a Canadian geese cam, since all they do is poop on things.

Then again, I don't know if Canadian Geeses like to hang out in trees.

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2006, 03:33 PM

Please, people, it's Christmas. Don't make this a contest of personal appreciation. Otherwise I'll have to lock this thread.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Dec 23, 2006 at 03:57 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 03:51 PM

I have this sinking feeling that somehow not everyone will ever be satisfied.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 04:16 PM

I am not whining about rule 8. I am saying there are other posting types MORE ANNOYING and harmful that rule 8 that need to be considered. And it's TRUE!

What's the problem?

I am not saying to take away rule 8. KEEP IT! But lets add post types that are equally or MORE annoying to the rules as well.

What would be the problem with that?
Ok, but annoying for who. I actually thought your original post Operation Iragi Freedom was rather humerious, true and right on tartget to why we invaded iraq. So while you may think its annoying others don't.

Also rule 8 is cut and dry, that is don't just paste someone else's article w/o adding any contribution yourself. Here you're complaining that you don't like a given post. If that's the case we'd need to shut down all of PL because just about every post there is going to annoy someone.
Michael

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Ok, but annoying for who. I actually thought your original post Operation Iragi Freedom was rather humerious, true and right on tartget to why we invaded iraq. So while you may think its annoying others don't.
Just like I don't find rule 8 violations to be annoying. But since they don't lead to conversation or good things, neither should happen.
Also rule 8 is cut and dry, that is don't just paste someone else's article w/o adding any contribution yourself. Here you're complaining that you don't like a given post. If that's the case we'd need to shut down all of PL because just about every post there is going to annoy someone.
NO no, I am speaking about non-substance posts. Just trolling ones.

That post I quoted had no substance, nor does it further along the topic. The rule 8 violations atleast most of the time aren't trollish in nature. These are.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 23, 2006, 05:12 PM

And who's going to decide what constitutes "trolling" and what doesn't? <inserfavoriterightwingnuthere>? <inserfavoriteleftwingnuthere>? You? What's the objective criteria by which all posts suspected of trolling can be judged equally?

Congrats, you've dug up, for the first time since Al Gore invented teh intarweb, the irresolvable paradox of one guy's troll being the next guy's comedian.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 05:17 PM

Nope, that is the mods to decide. Just like the rule 8 violations.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 23, 2006, 05:29 PM

Yup. And out of a hundred people who witness said decision, "X number" won't like it, and "X number - 99%" will be so pissed off that they actually take the time out of their apparently very busy days to complain about it in a forum like this one. Then, there'll be a lot of bitching and moaning and the result will be that it's up to the moderator(s) to decide what's trolling and what isn't.

Catch it. Now!

In the end, it always comes down to the very simple truth stated (repeatedly) above ... "it's the internet, stop taking it so seriously".
( Last edited by effgee; Dec 23, 2006 at 05:37 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 05:54 PM

I figured those annoyed by rule 8 violators, would ALSO be annoyed by people who make posts like I quoted above.
I'm annoyed by two things.

1) Rule 8 violations
2) Your whining

Clear ?

-t

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 06:07 PM

Thanks for clarifying turtle7

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 06:39 PM

I swear blas hangs out most heavily in Feedback

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 06:40 PM

Just like I don't find rule 8 violations to be annoying. But since they don't lead to conversation or good things, neither should happen.
Except there is one main difference. Rule 8 is objective and annoying posts is subjective. The rule is simple, posting a whole article and without any personal input, ala marden is against the rules and if he wants to postulate an opinion he's best to compose his thesis instead of just pasting a story written by someone else and then type a single line.

I'm not sure why you're posting these things in the feedback forum lately. What I mean is you've been whining about inconsistent mods, unfair mods, rule 8 ad nausea, certain people getting banned etc. Its like you have nothing better to do but complain about how badly 'NN is.

While I don't have the post count that you do, it shows that you spend an incredible amount of time online and as I said earlier perhaps if you take a break and enjoy the christmas lights, or weather or something you may gain a new perspective on things here at 'NN, such as that in the scope of things rule 8, getting banned and how mods work is not that important.
Michael

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 23, 2006, 08:23 PM

if you think a post doesn't belong, report it. no need to start a feedback thread about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules