Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heroes: New NBC drama

Heroes: New NBC drama (Page 6)
voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I beg to differ. He scrawled a message asking for forgiveness in his apartment, yet you don't see that in his dominant personality. When he went to his mother he was trying to be Gabriel, but when she said she wanted him to be someone special instead of a normal watchmaker he reverted to his Sylar state. You can even see the ominous change in his countenance when he puts his mother into the snow globe. I think it's pretty clear that he's schizophrenic, which is a psychotic disorder.
Again, you are confusing terms. Multiple personality disorder is not schizophrenia. You are dedcribing something aking to multiple personality disorder, A.K.A. Dissociative identity disorder (DID), which is in layman's terms "multiple personalities in one person".

And yes psychpath and sociopath are for the intentrs and purposes of the psychological complexity of Heroes, completely interchangeable.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Again, you are confusing terms. Multiple personality disorder is not schizophrenia. You are dedcribing something aking to multiple personality disorder, A.K.A. Dissociative identity disorder (DID), which is in layman's terms "multiple personalities in one person".
Okay, you got me on the definition of schizophrenia. I was using it in the popular sense of the word, where it is conflated with Dissociative Identity Disorder.

And yes psychpath and sociopath are for the intentrs and purposes of the psychological complexity of Heroes, completely interchangeable.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Most sources do not use the terms interchangeably. Anyway, this tangent started off with you denying Sylar is psychotic because you incorrectly thought psychotics are necessarily amoral.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 12:56 PM

Okay, you got me on the definition of schizophrenia. I was using it in the popular sense of the word, where it is conflated with Dissociative Identity Disorder.
Apology accepted, sir.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 01:24 PM

Back on topic, who wants to start predicting the events in the last two episodes?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 11:26 PM

Hiro watches Ado die, he stops giving a damn, and goes crazy. Killing everyone.

Then again, I doubt the bomb will go off. Or it will go off and hiro reverse time and kills sylar, who blows up instead of peter.

Or Peter become super emo and then decides to blow up everyone because no one understands him.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 06:26 AM

And then cut's himself (in the face) because no one understands his personal angst.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 09:43 AM

It'd be interesting to learn what happened to Peter that was able to leave a scar.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 10:54 AM

I got a headache just trying to read about Sylar being pshycosocioschizomumbojumbo... Let's just say he's a nut job and enjoy the show. We sometimes put more effort in understanding a TV character than the world around us.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre View Post
We sometimes put more effort in understanding a TV character than the world around us.
TV characters are usually less annoying.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
TV characters are usually less annoying.
Sometimes...

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
And then cut's himself (in the face) because no one understands his personal angst.
He and the other 'heroes' start a band to spread the news about people with strange genetic disorders.

(And why doesn't Nathan ask Linderman to heal his wife's spinal injury?)
( Last edited by JoshuaZ; May 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell)

Demonhood
Administrator
May 13, 2007, 03:51 PM

have we seen Linderman heal a human? i thought it was just that plant. so he may be more Poison Ivy than anything else.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
have we seen Linderman heal a human? i thought it was just that plant. so he may be more Poison Ivy than anything else.
Not on the show, but he healed Nathan's father in the comics.
Chuck
___

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2007, 09:24 PM

OK, here's my take on the ending: Peter is the bomb and he's about to blow up after he kills Sylar in a big battle.

Future Peter (Peter has Hiro's powers) comes back and stop time. He makes a speech about sacrificing one for the good of many, uniting people, etc (playing on Linderman's speech). He then kills himself (or has someone else do it (Hiro, Nathan, Claire).

Peter's death adverts the explosion, creates a rift so the 5 years + never happens and we go to season 2

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
May 13, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
OK, here's my take on the ending: Peter is the bomb and he's about to blow up after he kills Sylar in a big battle.

Future Peter (Peter has Hiro's powers) comes back and stop time. He makes a speech about sacrificing one for the good of many, uniting people, etc (playing on Linderman's speech). He then kills himself (or has someone else do it (Hiro, Nathan, Claire).

Peter's death adverts the explosion, creates a rift so the 5 years + never happens and we go to season 2
Not bad...

I guess S2 would be Heroes vs. Linderman? New School vs. Old School?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
. . . he's about to blow up after he kills Sylar in a big battle.
Nice theory, except Sylar isn't dying. He will be a regular member of the cast in the next volume.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 08:42 AM

Has there been any news about the next season? I heard something about a new cast and new storyline?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 09:47 AM

Nice theory, except Sylar isn't dying. He will be a regular member of the cast in the next volume.
Source?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2007, 09:53 AM

Last night I started watching the whole series again so my sister could see it, and it's kind of cool to catch things, like when future Hiro meets Peter on the subway, he mentions that Peter looks different without his scar. Also, that symbol that's on Nikki's back shows up a LOT of places, like in the code of Chandra's mutant-finding program, on Claire's geometry book, in the pool of the house where Parkman finds the little girl hiding, etc.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2007, 10:40 AM

Has there been any news about the next season? I heard something about a new cast and new storyline?
The current cast members say most of them expect to be back, so while there will hopefully be a new storyline (or we could go the route of Buffy's later seasons and just let the characters whine for a while), I'm not expecting a new cast.
Chuck
___

Visnaut
Senior User
May 14, 2007, 09:29 PM

So what was Hiro's dad's power?

When his dad pulled out the sword, I was kind of half-expecting his power to be knowledge transfer. That he could transfer his skills as a swordsman to Hiro. But oh well, at least we got a few neat sparring scenes.

Too bad Ted had to bite it. I was starting to like him as a character.

With Linderman and Thompson dead now, is The Company no more?
( Last edited by Visnaut; May 14, 2007 at 09:38 PM. )

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2007, 09:57 PM

Aw man, I was starting to like Linderman.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 14, 2007, 11:06 PM

HIros Dad's Power:

I was wondering this myself, and I thought that maybe his dad's power could be superspeed? It's the only thing I can think of that would enable Hiro to learn sword skills in just a few hours (both of them moving at superspeed, with the dad moving really fast and Hiro freezing time, thus moving very fast. (Still doesn't explain why the dad wouldn't freeze...not a perfect theory).

But it also explains how his dad could run a company in Japan (being the CEO) as well as staying in America keeping close tabs on HIro. Superspeeeed.?

Visnaut
Senior User
May 15, 2007, 12:17 AM

Dammit, why couldn't Hiro just go back in time before Ando left?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
(And why doesn't Nathan ask Linderman to heal his wife's spinal injury?)
Guess that answers that ...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Dammit, why couldn't Hiro just go back in time before Ando left?
I think he still doesn't feel that confident in his time traveling. He very seldom gets it right.

By the way, how awesome was that scene with Thompson in the hall? You think it's going to be a showdown between him and Mr. Bennet, then BOOM, Thompson's dead. And the remorseless killing did a good job of building up suspense about what would happen once he found Molly.
Chuck
___

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 01:40 AM

Am I the only one who thought that the sword training was a bit…brief? Hiro is supposed to achieve new skill and "personal growth" enough to kill Sylar in the time that it took Ando to get impatient, buy a sword and take off?

Either Papa Nakamura has time altering powers and they trained for a long time or that part was a little lame.

Or am I missing something?

Either way here's my take on the ending: On the Today show they said that they all come together for the ending and that the last 3 minutes of the season are the first 3 minutes of nest season. So my conclusion is that they are gonna end this season with a pisser of a cliffhanger that will frustrate the hell out of us.

Brilliant deduction huh?

Seriously though, as Linderman said nothing can stop the bomb, it's what come after that that matters. So, have ANY of the paintings turned out to not be true? If that's the case then Sylar is going down. I say they all end up together at the end of the episode and try to stop Sylar, but it is Hiro's sword that does it.

Here's a question though. It seems to me they want us to believe that they are all there when the bomb goes off, but in the future they were alive. How'd they survive? Even if they aren't all present they are all certainly in the vicinity. Right now the story has all of them in NYC in and around that building. Or again, am I missing something?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Guess that answers that ...
Wow, I totally called that one. Or questioned that one. Weirdness.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 04:06 AM

Good questions about Hiro's father. I'm wondering why Peter let Ted get captured after hearing Sylar's thoughts. I know his first instinct is to protect Claire, but he could have cloaked both of them and escaped.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Am I the only one who thought that the sword training was a bit…brief? Hiro is supposed to achieve new skill and "personal growth" enough to kill Sylar in the time that it took Ando to get impatient, buy a sword and take off?

Either Papa Nakamura has time altering powers and they trained for a long time or that part was a little lame.

Or am I missing something?
I was a little sleepy, but I think the point was for Ando to get impatient and leave. I thought the story about the dragon and the hero having to cut out his own heart meant that Hiro has to let Ando die to fulfill his destiny.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
So, have ANY of the paintings turned out to not be true?
The cheerleader's head doesn't get opened by Sylar.
Homecoming Series (painting - Heroes Wiki)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 08:20 AM

Good questions about Hiro's father. I'm wondering why Peter let Ted get captured after hearing Sylar's thoughts. I know his first instinct is to protect Claire, but he could have cloaked both of them and escaped.
I would've stopped time and walked casually away with both of them ...

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 08:35 AM

The cheerleader's head doesn't get opened by Sylar.
Homecoming Series (painting - Heroes Wiki)
Yes it does, it just wasn't Claire.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yes it does, it just wasn't Claire.
hmmmm .... good point

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 09:43 AM

Sylar can move in stopped time, but I don't know if Peter knew that, thus didn't waste time trying it.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Sylar can move in stopped time, but I don't know if Peter knew that, thus didn't waste time trying it.
No, Hiro just screwed up the whole ordeal. Which is why Ado walked in as well. Hiro could have killed him, but once again, screwed things up.

Good lord. So many people dead or about to be dead. That was surprising.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 10:42 AM

I would've stopped time and walked casually away with both of them ...
Peter doesn't have Hiro's power yet, does he?
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 11:34 AM

Peter doesn't have Hiro's power yet, does he?
Yes he does. As confirmed by last week's episode, he only needs to be near a hero to absorb their powers. So although he doesn't know he has the power or how to use it, he does have it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 11:47 AM

Peter does have Hiro's powers. That's how he stopped HRG's stun gun electrodes from getting to him.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Peter does have Hiro's powers. That's how he stopped HRG's stun gun electrodes from getting to him.
No, that was with Sylar's power. Time didn't stop; he just froze them in the air, like Sylar did to Mohinder in "Parasite". If he'd frozen time, they would've kept flying at him after he unfroze.
Chuck
___

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 11:54 AM

Yep.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Demonhood
Administrator
May 15, 2007, 12:04 PM

not to mention that Hiro's powers are the most complex of the bunch. he has to concentrate really hard just to get them to work. it'd take Peter some practice to get up to speed on them as well.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 12:10 PM

Well it took ted forever to get a grip on his powers too, but it seems as if peter learned to control it relatively quickly. I don't think peter has the same learning curve that everyone else has, because after he trained with the invisible guy (forget his name), i think peter would be able to use hiro's power rather quickly if he tried.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:26 PM

I'm trying not to peek at commentary, while noting that I can't seem to view the video at the following link. Is it just me, or is it broken?

NBC.com > 24|7 Video > Rewind > Full Episodes > Heroes

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2007, 01:29 PM

Works for me, but Safari crashed when I closed the window.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM

No, that was with Sylar's power. Time didn't stop; he just froze them in the air, like Sylar did to Mohinder in "Parasite". If he'd frozen time, they would've kept flying at him after he unfroze.
Per NBC's recap:

"While Claude and Peter discuss evolution on the rooftop, a dart hits Claude in the neck – the Haitian and Mr. Bennet have come calling. Peter stops the dart meant for him by freezing time. He then throws Claude off the rooftop and flies to the rescue in order to make their escape."

LINK
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 01:58 PM

When Sylar phoned in the FBI to pick up Ted. He was talking to the FBI officer lady and it sounded like he said something after she turned around and he wasn't there.

Did he kill the invisible man and take his powers?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Per NBC's recap:

"While Claude and Peter discuss evolution on the rooftop, a dart hits Claude in the neck – the Haitian and Mr. Bennet have come calling. Peter stops the dart meant for him by freezing time. He then throws Claude off the rooftop and flies to the rescue in order to make their escape."

LINK
I just went back and scanned through that episode I had in my DVR. When Claude is beating the crap out of Peter on order to make him use his powers he says:

"Dig into that file cabinet of yours and pull something out. Fly, stop time, paint me a pretty picture…"
Then I watched the scene with the darts. I never noticed before, I always assumed he was using telekinesis, but although you can't really tell visually you can clearly hear the "tick tick tick" of the taser slow down and stop. So yeah, they made it plain that it was time stopping but I just didn't get it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 02:13 PM

I don't think Sylar can do invisibility yet, as when Peter turned invisible, Sylar mentioned that it was a cool trick, IIRC.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:15 PM

When Sylar phoned in the FBI to pick up Ted. He was talking to the FBI officer lady and it sounded like he said something after she turned around and he wasn't there.

Did he kill the invisible man and take his powers?
I thought that was just for "dramatic effect".

Forum Links
Forum Rules