Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Help-Partitioning

Boot Camp Help-Partitioning
dvdbohman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 06:55 PM

When I try to make a partition for the Windows XP it tells me...
"Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."
When I go into Disk Utility, I have the original internal disk, then my Macintosh HD volume. I don't really know what to do.
Thanks for any help!

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 10:04 PM

A friend of mine is experiencing the same problem about files unable to be moved. And I would like to offer her a better solution that formatting the disk. I have repaired permissions but I've been unlucky with that.

Thanks!.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 09:32 AM

Just to clarify, are you trying to use Boot Camp to make a Windows partition on a drive that already has more than one OS X partitions? Boot Camp will NOT work unless the drive is partitioned as it was originally-ONE HFS+ partition and only one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Just to clarify, are you trying to use Boot Camp to make a Windows partition on a drive that already has more than one OS X partitions? Boot Camp will NOT work unless the drive is partitioned as it was originally-ONE HFS+ partition and only one.
In my case, the drive has only one partition. In fact it even has the factory installation of the Mac OS. The formatting of that drive meets the Boot Camp requirements (HFS+, journaled, one partition). I at first believed it had something to do with permission issues, but after running a "repair permissions" routine, the problem persists.
I have also thought it may be something related to the fact that my friend is a switcher and many of her archives were transferred from her messy PC.
Thanks a lot for the answers!.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

dvdbohman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I only have 1 OS X partition, the original. I have also tried to repair permissions and that hasn't helped at all either. I'm not sure why it's not partioning, everything seems to be in order.
Thanks again for any help!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 08:35 PM

This is very odd. I'd check with Apple about what's going on if I could in your position. It sounds like an issue with the drive, not with Boot Camp.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 09:06 PM

Boot from the OS X disc and verify the volume with Disk Utility. If the drive can't be repaired there, you either need a 3rd party option or to simply format and reinstall.

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 12:34 AM

Don't know what to do so I think I will wait for 10.5
Initially, I was successful in installing BootCamp, removed the partition using the BootCamp utility to make more room on the HDD and now I can't create a new partition...I'm getting the same ole error message. I don't know a way around it other then reinstalling OS X from the install DVD. I recently got Parallels and it works awesome. I wonder if Parallels has something to do with this error... although I tend to think that it shouldn't be a problem since Parallels doesn't partition the HDD but just create an imaged HDD... My solution to you is: get Parallels. You can try it for a month for free! ohh, and you don't have to reboot everytime you want to use Windows.

dvdbohman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:56 AM

Just to let you know...
I got boot camp to work and create a windows partition by creating more free space on my HD.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2006, 07:55 AM

How much space did you free up, and more importantly, how much was there before you started and when you finished? BootCamp wants a minimum of 10GB according to the documentation....

Dynamics
Nov 7, 2006, 07:55 PM

I unfortunatly have run into the same problem. However Bootcamp did work initially and during the windows install I decided to just restore the whole thing and start fresh. . .and now I cannot get it to partition the drive. . after I restored it the partition i created before was still there. . .I removed it and attempted to redo the partition, and now it cannot due to some files that can't be moved. . .I even tryed lowering the partition size to 10GB. . . nothing. Verified 1 HFS partition via Disk Utility. . . Guess I'll try a restoration again.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 03:36 PM

I'm having the same problem and my drive has tons of free space and only one partition.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 01:58 AM

Did the same as everyone else, installed BootCamp onto a Win Partition, removed BootCamp after some update snafu's. Now i have one partition that can't be split...ahhhhh the problems with a BETA version.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by MrN79 View Post
Did the same as everyone else, installed BootCamp onto a Win Partition, removed BootCamp after some update snafu's. Now i have one partition that can't be split...ahhhhh the problems with a BETA version.
i fourth
i'm now in the same boat.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2007, 08:31 AM

Have any of you tried booting from your OS X install disc and running Disk Utility from that? It might just require a disk repair-which DU can do quite well.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 03:00 PM

Just booting from the install disc to repair the disc and even repair permissions does nothing on the 50 macs I administer here at my University Lab.

The only solution I found after actually tinkering with the problem is of course to use DiskWarrior then clone the drive then clone back then and only then was I able to use the bootcamp app to partition the drive.

@ghporter have you actually ran into this problem, because your solutions dont do anything.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

marklarah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 03:32 PM

I also have this problem with the files. I will try that method just posted. Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2007, 10:06 PM

My problem was when I installed Boot Camp on my MBP it said that my disk couldn't be partitioned and needed to be repaired-the only way to repair the whole disk is to boot from the install disc and use Disk Utility that way. While DU is not as powerful as Disk Warrior, it is at least free and can often do a lot to help. And I did make it clear that I wasn't talking about permissions, right? That I was talking about repairing the whole disk-the very top entry that, when you select it while running OS X doesn't enable any of the repair or verify buttons. That DOES do stuff; it works on the basic structures of the hard drive. It simply can't work on a disk or volume that has open files, so that's why you need to run it from the install disc.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 03:08 AM

Hi ghporter,
I didn't mean any harm by what I said. Sorry, it was like one of those days when I wish I just stayed in bed.

I do recall that once I was able to get a machine to bootcamp partition after using DU, but for me it only worked once. Oh well at least the community has more options to try.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules