Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When will you upgrade to Leopard? Will you upgrade at all?

When will you upgrade to Leopard? Will you upgrade at all? (Page 2)
MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 23, 2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
The Apple stores' wifi networks are not password protected. If you're sitting outside one, you should be able to use their signal.
We don't have "Apple Stores" as such, I'll be going to a place called ubertec, about the closest we have, but I'll give it a go .

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2007, 11:47 PM

I'll get it when Amazon delivers, then I will wait until reviews here have vetted the basic integrity of the upgrade. Apart from general better implementation of code, I really am looking forward to Spaces, since I may be using up to 4 different ones of them at the same time, what a relief to just hit a key and switch, without having to futz with window- and un-windowshading. Also Time Machine, with its real time updating sounds wonderfully relieving when in the middle of some project. For the rest, let's see!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 11:55 PM

I won't be seeing Leopard until I get a new Mac, which at the earliest will be after MWSF.

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 06:48 PM

I have preordered as of last thursday, so I am just waiting to get it before 90% of the people who WILl get it: my shipment should come in the middle of the day

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 06:50 PM

I just pre-ordered! They're seriously gonna overnight it and have it at my door on Friday?

Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2007, 06:53 PM

I just checked my order status, and it says delivery on the 26th via priorty overnite. I preordered when it was made available and chose free shipping.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 07:34 PM

How fast? The FedEx guy will probably still be at my door finishing his paperwork when I put the installation disk in my 1.67 PB on Friday.

Quite honestly, I've never been burned with any 10.X.0 releases. I believe most issues occur because of pre-existing HD problems/corruptions. I always run Cocktail (which I do on a weekly basis) and then DiskWarrior (which I do on a monthly basis) just prior to the new system installations. Also, I will have a full clone on my external just in case.

And yes, I do the simple, basic Install Upgrade option. Never any problems.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
I just pre-ordered! They're seriously gonna overnight it and have it at my door on Friday?
Yep! They sure are.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 07:44 PM

I upgraded to Mac OS X Leopard today.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 07:45 PM

As soon as there's a way to disable stacks, I'll upgrade.

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 07:51 PM

You just take them out of the dock. If you don't want to use them, you don't have to, with the exception of the downloads stack, which is tons better than littering your desktop with files.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
You just take them out of the dock. If you don't want to use them, you don't have to, with the exception of the downloads stack, which is tons better than littering your desktop with files.
When I put a folder in the dock, and right click it, I want it to work exactly as it does in Tiger. That is, by giving me a scrollable list of files and folders, with the ability to navigate within subfolders.

Stacks appears to take functionality that can display all files, folders, and subfolders in a scrollable list, and replaces it with functionality that can display only a few files and folders in a truncated list, and can't navigate subfolders without opening them in a separate window.

If Leopard can still navigate folders within the dock like shown below, I'll upgrade right away. If not, then I won't.

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 07:59 PM

I see the problem...

I never used the folder in dock scenario, So I'm liking Stacks. But I can see why that would be frustrating.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
They did the same thing when the 3g iPod was released. All orders got bumped up to overnight delivery and sent out the day before they were scheduled to be in store. I'm guessing Apple gets a huge volume discount as it is with FedEx and they'd rather pay the extra to be sure people get it on Friday and not earlier.

I don't know why I only thought of this now, but my plan was to install 10.5 when I get home from work. I have a PowerBook! I'm taking this to work with me on Friday and will install it the moment FedEx delivers 10.5

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I see the problem...

I never used the folder in dock scenario, So I'm liking Stacks. But I can see why that would be frustrating.
See what I mean? Stacks take away previously existing functionality and replace it with nothing except an expanding animation and larger icons. Stacks don't actually do anything that you couldn't already do, and take away things that you could do.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 08:20 PM

I use some folders in the Dock, too. So wait, I can't set a "folder" stack to function as a folder? There should be an option when you right-click a stack and set it to function as the old folders did.

Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2007, 08:25 PM

If that's true: suX0r!

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 08:32 PM

Yep folders in the dock has been an invaluable feature for me, especially since Tiger got rid of the 5-level-deep browsing limit. I have the hard drive, games folder, home folder, downloads folder and a network drive in the dock - a lot of that will be unnecessary with stacks and the improved non-beachballing networking in Finder, but I really would love to still be able to have a hard drive link in there for browsing, especially when they're finally! making the dock spring-loaded!

geraldartman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 11:58 AM

When it is delivered by Mr. Fedex tomorrow
Will clone the drive tonight as scheduled.

Can't wait to show the IT guys at work what version 3 of Vista might look like assuming they ever decide to upgrade the DULLS here.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Yep folders in the dock has been an invaluable feature for me, especially since Tiger got rid of the 5-level-deep browsing limit. I have the hard drive, games folder, home folder, downloads folder and a network drive in the dock - a lot of that will be unnecessary with stacks and the improved non-beachballing networking in Finder, but I really would love to still be able to have a hard drive link in there for browsing, especially when they're finally! making the dock spring-loaded!
Folders or Stacks now are fully spring-loaded... Just like they are in the Finder.

For all the browsing just use the Finder or Spotlight to quickly get stuff. You'll live.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7 View Post
See what I mean? Stacks take away previously existing functionality and replace it with nothing except an expanding animation and larger icons. Stacks don't actually do anything that you couldn't already do, and take away things that you could do.
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...-classic-dock/

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 01:12 PM

Not only are they less useful, a fanned out stack looks terrible against a window with a lot of content. And a grid stack truncates names. What the hell is Sierr...tcher? There has GOT to be a way to turn them off.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2007, 01:23 PM

Is there possibily a defaults write command?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules