Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new macbook pro... issues

new macbook pro... issues
mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 01:42 PM

so i was excited to open my brand new macbook pro... except upon turnng it on, i see that it's running TIGER! ok, so no big deal, it comes with an upgrade dvd, i do the clean install, but now I have no iLife!! doesn't that come standard with all new macs? and why was my computer not preloaded with leopard? is this normal? it was bought a day or two ago.

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 01:48 PM

It could be normal, depending on when and from where the MBP was purchased.

You should be able to find the iLife stuff on your MBP restore DVD using the program Pacifist. Use Pacifist to look around for the appropriate iLife packages (.mpkg).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2007, 02:01 PM

iLife comes with all new Macs, it will be on your install disc. It is not included on the Leopard disc however, so you'll need to install it from your original system/install discs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 02:15 PM

OS X install disks do not include iLife. Since you did a clean install instead of an upgrade or archive, you blew away the preinstalled iLife. You can restore it off the restore disk, which contains both Tiger and iLife.

mayoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 03:02 PM

thanks everyone!! it should be iLife 08 right? i bought the computer yesterday or two days ago... in the US

mayoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 03:32 PM

ok, so i've found and installed iLife from the restore disks, but it seems as though i got iLife version 7... which i take isn't iLife 08... should I have gotten iLife 08 with my new mac?

thanks for all of your help guys! sorry for all the noob questions... but i'm already enjoying my mac!

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 04:10 PM

Depends on how long it was on the shelf. Did you get it from an Apple Store or some other place?

mayoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 09:27 PM

i got it at an apple store... should i not be getting the most recent mbp and all the software that comes with it?

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 10:09 PM

You should go by and see. And call Apple if you don't like their answer. Or just call first and see. I don't know Apple's policy on it, but if you're buying a $2500 machine, and all Macs come with iLife, then it should include the latest iLife.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You should go by and see. And call Apple if you don't like their answer. Or just call first and see. I don't know Apple's policy on it, but if you're buying a $2500 machine, and all Macs come with iLife, then it should include the latest iLife.
He's not suggesting it came with an old version of iLife, he's wondering why Leopard wasn't pre-installed.

Unless it was delivered from the factory after Leopard was shipped, it'll still have Tiger pre-loaded. The Leopard upgrade DVD was then dropped in to the package, perhaps even by the store itself. You should be able to re-install iLife off the restore disc included with the machine (which, of course, will have Tiger on it as well, so make sure to review your install options carefully).

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mayoke View Post
ok, so i've found and installed iLife from the restore disks, but it seems as though i got iLife version 7... which i take isn't iLife 08... should I have gotten iLife 08 with my new mac?
Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
He's not suggesting it came with an old version of iLife, he's wondering why Leopard wasn't pre-installed.

Unless it was delivered from the factory after Leopard was shipped, it'll still have Tiger pre-loaded. The Leopard upgrade DVD was then dropped in to the package, perhaps even by the store itself. You should be able to re-install iLife off the restore disc included with the machine (which, of course, will have Tiger on it as well, so make sure to review your install options carefully).
Am I missing something? It looks to me he specifically asked why he didn't get the latest iLife. This iLife question comes after his initial concern of Leopard not being pre-installed. Not to be rude, but it looks like you skipped most of the thread.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 12:24 AM

Was there even a iLife 07?

I thought they went from 06 - 08!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 01:31 AM

There was no iLife '07. He's saying he has iLife v.7, which is iLife '08.

mayoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2007, 01:51 AM

yes, i was asking why i didn't get iLife 08.... but if iLife version 7 IS iLife 08... then i have nothing to complain about...

EDIT: ok, so it turns out iLife v.7 is actually iLife 08.... so i guess i'm all set... didn't get the "amazing right out of the box" b/c i had to spend an hour or two installing leopard/iLife... but that's not a big dissapointment considering i'm coming from a pc which usually takes a while to set up anyways... already enjoying the coolness that is mac... now gotta figure out all of the intricacies of the OS... any good websites/books you guys can suggest?

iMan G5
Dec 26, 2007, 10:59 AM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Not to be rude, but it looks like you skipped most of the thread.
First off, I was answering part one of his question. Part two, of course, is that he did get the correct version of iLife.
So, no, I didn't skip most of the thread.

Cold Warrior
Dec 26, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
First off, I was answering part one of his question. Part two, of course, is that he did get the correct version of iLife.
So, no, I didn't skip most of the thread.
You were answering the first part, yet you directed comments specifically at me when I answered a subsequent question.

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 02:36 PM

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro from Apple with the same problem. Had Tiger installed, and Tiger Restore disks and a 10.5 upgrade disk. It came directly from China according to the shipping info.

I didn't understand it at first, but after using 10.5 for a month I do. 10.5 sucks. It hangs while dumping the trash, and hangs at other times as well. When waking from sleep, I often have no network connection unless I reboot. The keyboard "misses" keystrokes and I'm not all that happy with the other "upgrades" either. I'm switching back to 10.4. I guess for now I'm out the $250 I spent for Vista because 10.4 doesn't support Bootcamp. And what rocket scientist at Apple decided to put the keyboard light sensor just under the place your hand normally covers?

As a lifelong Apple fan, this is about the 10th or 12th Mac I have purchased, but unless Apple does some major quality control work, it might be my last Mac. I can get poor quality from a $700 PC laptop, I don't need to spend $2000 for even more of the same type problems.
( Last edited by anogee; Jan 3, 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Update)

ibook_steve
Jan 3, 2008, 02:53 PM

What date did you order on and where did you order from? That would help explain why it didn't come with Leopard installed.

Did you do an archive and install or just a simple upgrade? Try doing an archive and install. You'll probably have much better luck with Leopard. And did you update to 10.5.1?

As for the keyboard light sensor, you must have very strange hands because the sensors are located under the speaker grilles on the sides of the keyboard. How often are your hands over there? If you don't like the automatic light sensing, you can turn that off, you know.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Jan 3, 2008, 05:08 PM

Archive-Install, then run Software Update to get any firmware or software patches.

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 05:40 PM

I ordered my Macbook Pro about a month after Leopard was released, so there is no reason that it shouldn't have arrived with Leopard. It took me some time to realize this since the first thing I did when I turned it on is use Apple's copy config from another Mac option. As it turned out, when I used this option, I didn't receive any error, only a message that it couldn't find the source disk from my previous laptop. Problem was, my previous laptop ran 10.5 and this new computer ran 10.4 so I understand now why it didn't work, but the "error" message could have been a bit more clear.

Since this was a brand new computer, I saw no reason to archive or upgrade. I just did a new install. If you do that, you then can put in the 10.4 disks that Apple supplies, and install the iLife applications. On the 10.4 install, I noticed Apple has been getting some bad habits from Microsoft. Preinstalled was iWork, which expired in 30 days unless you paid for it. Yes, Apple now puts on Bloatware.

As for the keyboard light sensor, you must have very strange hands because the sensors are located under the speaker grilles on the sides of the keyboard. How often are your hands over there? If you don't like the automatic light sensing, you can turn that off, you know.
I must be strange then. I use the computer on a desk with direct overhead LED lighting. When I type the LED lighting turns on and off constantly. Yes I know I can turn it off, but maybe someone might know how to KEEP IT ON? Its a pretty dark location, and the keys are very hard to read without the lighting. I found a 3rd party utility that controls it, but I shouldn't need that. Even better, if they put the sensor on the top lip where it belongs, and allow me to set the brightness threshold it turns on at, I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

ibook_steve
Jan 3, 2008, 06:40 PM

So you are saying you completely formatted the hard drive before installing Leopard or did you do a simple upgrade to Leopard? If you copied stuff over from another computer then just did an upgrade, who knows what you might have brought over that might cause these problems. Either do a complete format and reinstall (run Disk Utility first during the Leopard install to check the disk) or simply do an archive & install to save your settings and applications. It's not that hard to do and it probably should be the default instead of a simple upgrade.

As for the keyboard problem, I'm not quite sure I understand. If you have lighting above you, why do you even need keyboard lighting? Add another lamp or something. And anyone in this day and age who can't touch type *really* needs to learn.

Steve

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 12:19 PM

I performed a full format and install.

As for the keyboard problem, I'm not quite sure I understand. If you have lighting above you, why do you even need keyboard lighting? Add another lamp or something. And anyone in this day and age who can't touch type *really* needs to learn.
How I type and get light my keyboard is my business. I haven't had any problem previously with other keyboards, so this is not a typing problem, its a design problem. If seeing the key tops in unimportant because everyone in the world "touch types," then maybe you can tell me why Apple spent money to develop and add a lighting system into their laptops? The poor placement of the light sensor on this device has been mentioned on several reviews I have read, so I am not the first in the world to discover this flaw.

stirrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 01:57 PM

Anogee,

I agree that if you bought the computer from the Apple Store a couple days ago, it should have come pre-installed with Leopard. One would think this means your machine had been built and packed for a while (before Leopard was finished). I wonder how often when new software is on the horizon that Apple will pack in an update disc instead of pre-installing? It makes sense, though, if Leopard wasn't yet available when the machine was built and packed that it wouldn't be pre-installed. I wonder if the folks at the Apple Store after a new release have to go through their inventory and make sure the upgrade DVD is included in the box.

I predict you'll dig the Macintosh, Anogee. I had used PCs for the past few years and am very happy with the switch back to Macintosh. Enjoy!

ibook_steve
Jan 4, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by anogee View Post
If seeing the key tops in unimportant because everyone in the world "touch types," then maybe you can tell me why Apple spent money to develop and add a lighting system into their laptops?
Answer: Because it's cool and distinguishes Apple machines. No other manufacturer does this that I know of (I could be wrong), and Apple didn't do it until only recently (first or second gen G4 Aluminum, I believe).

Steve

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 04:02 PM

@anogee

On the crashing issue have you updated to 10.5.1? Many bugs have been fixed in 10.5.1.

As for Leopard not coming pre-installed, maybe bring the MBP back and ask for one that comes with Leopard pre-installed.

Also the comment on bloatware, yes a few things get pre-installed from the factory. But as I and many Apple users I know do is reformat the drive when the new computer arrives, reinstall OS X minus most of the extras(just customize your install) and all is well. But if that's to much then why not just delete the apps you don't want and be done with it.

For the keyboard backlighting, I have a MBP 17" CD bought it when it first came out and have had no problems with the backlighting. Really the only problems I've had is the flakey superdrive that needed replacing after the first 3 months. Unit came with Tiger which was replaced as soon as Leopard came out and yes Leopard 10.5 had problems but once 10.5.1 came out everything is working great in fact better than 10.4.11. There's no way I'll go back to Tiger just love Leopard to much.

Cheers
( Last edited by silver; Jan 4, 2008 at 04:27 PM. )
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 06:08 PM

I've had many Macs in the past, and they have all run great, but maybe this one is just a lemon. I have 10.5.1, and the new keyboard patch.

Here is my list so far:
1) Gets quite warm and battery life not great. (I can blame Intel for this one.)
2) Keyboard lighting could be designed better.
(I can live with those)
Probable 10.5 issues:
3) The first key I press when starting a new application almost never registers. Even in the login window, I have to press the first character twice. For example, start Firefox and type Google in the URL line, and I get ww.google.com (The keyboard patch has helped but definitely not cured this one.)
4) The system time reset on restart on several occasions (In both Mac and Windows sides.)
5) Bluetooth stops working on occasions and the Bluetooth control panel locks up on these instances.
6) I use a home Wi-Fi. Often when waking from sleep, I lose network connectivity. Its connected but no data connectivity. I tried hardcoding the DNS address which I suggested to a friend also having this problem with 10.5, and it helped him, but not me. Have to reboot to get it back.
7) The keyboard seems to miss characters occasionally. (Keyboard patch has helped here.)
8) Keyboard would quit working. (Keyboard patch fixes this.)

These problems are annoying enough that I think I am going back to 10.4. I will lose VISTA, but not a great lose. (Just a big lose in money to buy VISTA.) Also, none of these problems are unique and I can point you to others that have reported each of them.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 06:53 PM

Sounds like you should take it in.

The system time resetting could be a serious issue in your logic board waiting to happen. If you're near an Apple store take it in, if not, i'd suggest calling AppleCare

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 09:42 PM

You should just take it in and see if they can replace the unit. Seems like you might have gotten a lemon.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2008, 03:04 AM

This is for the guys complaining. OMFG... you had to install an OS! How horrible! I insist that you return it at once as a defective piece of crap! Lets be real for a second. Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of laptops Apple has on it's wharehouse shelves? Do you REALLY expect them to go back and format and reload EVERY laptop? Or do you think it's more practical to put in an upgrade DVD and let the user do the upgrade since Apple knows that most Apple buyers are going to wipe and reload the drive ANYWAYS?

To the guy complaining about how you type is your business... I just want to point out that coming here and complaining about your problems makes it our business when you ask for our advice. Your attitude in general just rubs me wrong, and makes me feel disinclined to help you at all. But despite that I'm going to give you my thoughts. Take them or not. I'm an owner of a very successful PC repair shop. I charge $50 an hour for home users and $90 for business', and I have a full calendar most every week. I'm stating this so you know the kind of person addressing you in this post. I'm not some sally wanker just jerking off on the 'net.

First, if you come here asking for help and we ask questions to try and help... dont piss on us. Next time you're liable to find yourself asking other folks in other forums who I can tell you from experience aren't near as nice as this community is here.

Second, this being your first mac, I understand what you're saying about the "fresh out of the box experience". It should have gone much better, but it didn't. I'm sorry thats what happened.

Third. You have some bad information. Who told you that 10.4 doesn't support boot camp? Please, tell me from your vast knowledge, what were us mac owners using before we were using leopard? I've been running boot camp since the first week it came out. And I've had 10.4 the whole time. WHoever told you that boot camp doesn't work with 10.4 lied to you. Yes, there is a beta download, and it's gone off of Apple's website. I will say that if you have Vista, you haven't lost the ability to run it so stop whining about it. If you really want to go back to Tiger and have boot camp installed do this:
1. Install Leopard. ( if it's already installed skip.. obviously.. but I feel the need to tell you anyways)
2. Set up boot camp....
3. Install Vista.
4. Update Vista, make sure it's running.
5. Get your Tiger DVD, format the 10.5 partition, install tiger.

Its that simple. Or you could ask someone like me nicely to give you a copy of bootcamp if you've already gone back to 10.4. Latest version was 1.4 I think. Or you can google "bootcamp1.4.dmg" You might get lucky and find it hosted somewheres.

As to the other issues.... since I've not had face time with the machine it's hard for me to say. But if you did a fresh install, updated from software update and you're still having issues from a fresh wipe and reload, I'd say take it back to the store and just get a new lappy. If you're out of the exchange period, you're stuck with it. You'll have to deal with turning it over to the apple store for a week or so while they sort out your problems. However I have the sneaking suspicion that when the tech tells you you'll have to leave it, you're going to have a hissy fit. At that point, if that's true... do us a favor and return the laptop and buy an HP or a Dell. However I know for a fact that most genius' are really nice guys and really do try do help people out with their issues. If you were nice to them I'd say you'd have a fair shot at swapping out the laptop with no hassles. If they won't swap it, let them fix it. Even Apple gets a lemon every now and then . One out of every how many of thousands of laptops? Give me a break.

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 12:42 PM

I know there are a few threads being discussed here, but I'm happy to report that rolling back to 10.4 has fixed all the issues that I had. No more keyboard problems, which was driving me crazy. I'm running 10.5 on another laptop (non-Intel) and on a desktop (non-Intel) and it seems to work fine on those, but on this Macbook Pro, bad news.

I'm still monitoring the system clock reset issue, which could indicate a hardware problem. It doesn't happen often, which makes it hard to troubleshoot, but it may be worth it to have this Mac checked out before the 90 day warranty expires, if for no other reason to have the problem recorded.
( Last edited by anogee; Jan 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM. )

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008, 01:48 PM

anogee... if it were mine I'd take it to the apple store today and get it checked in. Ask them to install 10.5 and tell them the problems you were having. Tell them you want them to duplicate the problem and find out whether or not its a hardware issue or software. The very fact that 10.4 does not show these symptoms tells us that its most likely software.

Good luck. And dont let that 90 day warranty slip by.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 04:58 PM

I just paid for the upgraded 3-year warranty. I'm not big on extended warranties, but considering what I have experienced already, and all the keyboard problems that others are experiencing, I think its a good investment. I can't think of any laptop that I have had for three years without some problem occuring.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2008, 07:34 PM

In a lot of cases, extended warranties are ways to get more cash out of a customer. When it comes to laptop computers, that's not the case. Everything in a laptop costs more and takes more labor to work on. It's easier to hurt a laptop, easier to get it hurt by no real fault of your own, and such hurts tend to be more serious than with a desktop computer. All round, an extended warranty like the 3-year Apple Care is a Very Good Idea®.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 07:54 PM

If you hurt your laptop, a warranty won't cover it. That's why I always get insurance.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 08:46 AM

Here's a perspective for those who think Leopard should have come preinstalled.

Assume that 10.5.0 was installed. Can you imagine the complaints from people who don't want to run that version and "Why didn't it come with Tiger?"

Installing Tiger and including a Leopard disk means you have a CHOICE of what you want to run. Good thing, no?

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules