Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unlocking Iphone without contract?

Unlocking Iphone without contract?
macin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 04:56 PM

With all the how to's and tutorials out there I am seriously thinking about unlocking an iphone because I love apple and hate my phone. My question is I know you can walk into an apple store and buy a phone, but then you must activate it on Itunes with a contract. Is there something I am missing where it doesn't matter, or better yet how do I unlock my Iphone without getting a contract.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2008, 05:15 PM

But it at the apple store then use: ZiPhone's Blog

No contract.

macin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 05:31 PM

thanks also if I buy an 8gb iphone with old software, apple allows you to upgrade for free right.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by macin View Post
thanks also if I buy an 8gb iphone with old software, apple allows you to upgrade for free right.
Yup. Just one button in iTunes and no cost.

macin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 05:50 PM

last Q. does data work on the newly unlocked phone or only wifi. thank you for baring with me i am a newbie to this stuff.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2008, 11:05 PM

If you're a newbie to this stuff, please take time to read through the various forums before doing anything to void the warranty of your phone.

Ziphone automatically downgrades your bootloader, which is irreversible. There are other, safer options out there to unlock your phone. See hackint0sh and iClarified for more information. Any questions you have at all about the unlocking process can be answered at those two sites. Just be patient and read carefully.

Again, please use caution when doing anything to your phone. The second you jailbreak, activate, and unlock the phone to work on a non-sanctioned carrier you void any and all claim to a warranty.

Edited to Add:

Do you want an unlocked iPhone but don't want to use the phone part? If so, why not just get an iPod Touch?
( Last edited by Ozmodiar; Mar 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM. )

macin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 04:32 PM

no of course i want the phone. I want to be able to put my tmobile sim card in the iphone

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 07:03 PM

I see. Yes, you can do that. I know from personal experience

Forum Links
Forum Rules