Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > unlocked iphone broken - what to do?

unlocked iphone broken - what to do?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2008, 06:51 AM

My iPhone broke - the touch screen no longer responds. I'm not really sure what to do ... I have an N95 so i'm not gutted it's broken, I'll happily buy another one. If I restored the firmware could I take it into the Apple Store and they'd replace it? Would they know? It's a US model, and I'm in the UK. I can either take it to my local store or ship it back to the US.
Any ideas?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2008, 10:53 AM

Sorry to hear that, but this is exactly why I would never hack my iPhone.

It was my understanding that once you unlocked the iPhone by installing hacked firmware there was no way to go back to original firmware. I could be wrong on that though. Good luck.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008, 11:36 AM

Have you tried troubleshooting? Eg resetting your iphone. Try solve it before you do anything drastic.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2008, 02:17 PM

What happens when an american travels to the UK and his phone breaks? Surely apple will still fix it.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
It was my understanding that once you unlocked the iPhone by installing hacked firmware there was no way to go back to original firmware. I could be wrong on that though. Good luck.
Quite wrong.

Peter ... just do a restore in iTunes, and you'll be fine.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
Peter ... just do a restore in iTunes, and you'll be fine.
But if his phone is broken how can he restore it?

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
It may still restore if the only thing wrong is that the touchscreen is not responding.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 03:46 PM

Because you don't need to do anything on the iPhone to restore it. Besides, all that's broken is his touch screen.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 08:37 PM

I agree, try restoring in iTunes. You'll have to do that before taking it in for service any way to get it back to a close-to-OTB state. If it's still broken, you'll probably have to beg/bribe someone at the store to fix it if it was never officially activated.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 01:37 AM

Try getting a prepaid account for whatever carrier officially caries iphone in the UK. That's my plan if my unlocked iPhone ever craps out here in the US. I can get a prepaid AT&T account and some minutes for about $10. not sure if this foolproof, but I think it will probably take care of enough of the problem for the genius to look the other way.

ImpulseResponse

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 06:12 AM

the iPhone works fine - just not the touchscreen. I've restored the iPhone so it's now asking for me to put in a SIM. I'll buy a pre-paid O2 sim and stick that in, then take it to Apple.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 07:34 AM

Not to bash the OP, but this a prime example of the dangers of jail breaking/ unlocking. He now has to hope that the apple folks do not notice the patched boot loader. Odds are they won't but if they do, he'll be SOL.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 07:57 AM

He now has to hope that the apple folks do not notice the patched boot loader. Odds are they won't but if they do, he'll be SOL.
I thought we had just established that a restored iPhone is indistinguishable from a new and unhacked iPhone.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I thought we had just established that a restored iPhone is indistinguishable from a new and unhacked iPhone.
It is practically indistinguishable. However, the boot loader is downgraded in the process... this means a very experienced Apple Store employee could possibly figure out the phone had been unlocked. This is unlikely for three reasons.
  • The store employees are busy. They don't have time to check boot loaders.
  • The phone's display isn't working, making it unlikely that much diagnostic work will be done.
  • Apple employees probably don't care if the iPhone was unlocked, so long as that isn't the cause of the issue.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 10:21 AM

I'm going to a brand new Apple Store, so hopefully they'll be extra nice.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 12:08 PM

I had hacked, but not unlocked, my iphone before they announced their plans to not support unlocked phones. When I went to get my phone fixed, they commented that it was hacked and I said I did it before their announcement and didn't unlock it. They still fixed the phone for me but said I may not get so lucky in the future.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules