Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SUV sales tank as gas soars

SUV sales tank as gas soars
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 09:57 AM

From today's Globe and Mail. Tree edition, so no links.

Apparently sales for large SUVs, like Dodge Durango, Ford Expedition and GMC Yukon are down by as much as 50%. Compact car sales are up 17%.

So, some of the people "needing" a large SUV must have decided that they didn't "need" one after all. Amazing.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
From today's Globe and Mail. Tree edition, so no links.

Apparently sales for large SUVs, like Dodge Durango, Ford Expedition and GMC Yukon are down by as much as 50%. Compact car sales are up 17%.

So, some of the people "needing" a large SUV must have decided that they didn't "need" one after all. Amazing.
Is that Canadian people or American people not "needing" a large SUV?
Because, as you know, in America not "needing" an SUV is . . . well, un-American.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 10:16 AM

But Cody Dog NEEDS one. I mean, her family couldn't get along without it!
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 10:18 AM

A man needs an SUV like a fish needs a bicycle.

-t

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 10:21 AM

Besides, their safer. If I'm going to have an accident while talking on my phone, I'd rather be driving something that will crush whatever I run into.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 10:28 AM

So, some of the people "needing" a large SUV must have decided that they didn't "need" one after all.
Or perhaps have decided that because they've got one already they didn't need to buy another?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
Besides, their safer. If I'm going to have an accident while talking on my phone, I'd rather be driving something that will crush whatever I run into.
Then buy a Volvo. Mine still gets 29MPG after 75K miles.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Or perhaps have decided that because they've got one already they didn't need to buy another?
They're probably all on lease since there's such a desire to have things you can't really afford.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2005, 10:33 AM

Besides, they're safer. If I'm going to have an accident while talking on my phone, I'd rather be driving something that will crush whatever I run into.
fixed and:

I love it.

ice

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 4, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
A man needs an SUV like a fish needs a bicycle.

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
They're probably all on lease since there's such a desire to have things you can't really afford.
So there's probably a huge amount of three-year-old mint-condition SUVs available on the second-hand market then. Why buy new?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 10:39 AM

I own, I can afford, I need/want/desire. STFU.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 10:45 AM

The American car manufacturers just still don't understand the problem. Also a sign of the economy with high oil prices and increasing interest rates.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 10:54 AM

They're. Not their. But no they aren't. Statistically, you're 3 times more likely to die if you get into an accident while in an SUV than in a normal car.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I own, I can afford, I need/want/desire. STFU.
By that rationale, I should be allowed to smoke near babies. Just cuz I can afford to and want to. Nevermind the well being of everyone else.

What I find funny is that most ATHIESTS I know are more considerate of the welfare of others than most Christians. The Christian families I know are the ones driving SUVs and saying (mistakenly, since they're 3X more likely to die) "Well it's better someone else than my family! I don't care if it's more dangerous to them, I want to be safe!"

Christians are so funny.

Edited for spelling.
( Last edited by quote68; Oct 4, 2005 at 12:03 PM. )

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 10:59 AM

So why didn't they decide that last year? Or the year before? Sales are down because of high gas prices, simple. As far as I am concerned that is a very good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that there is a legitimate need for SUVs and trucks. Chauffeuring the kids to school isn't one of them.

And chris v: Nice one

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:04 AM

So why didn't they decide that last year? Or the year before?
It could be just coincidence. Short of seeing the second-hand sales data for SUVs, we have no way of knowing.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 11:07 AM

..wrong button
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 11:12 AM

Maybe you shouldn't talk on the phone while driving?

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Then buy a Volvo. Mine still gets 29MPG after 75K miles.
Volvos. Rock. Period.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by quote68
They're. Not their. But no they aren't. Statistically, you're 3 times more likely to die if you get into an accident while in an SUV than in a normal car.
Ca$h-- I'm dissapointed that you, of all people, would fall for one of my {moran] [/moran] psots.

heh- 3 serious replies. Florida #2 got it, but couldn't resist the urge to spell-check. Score: CV 3, NN 0.5.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by teney7
Volvos. Rock. Period.
In a kind of wimpy, girlish, geeky, Emo way. Not in a proper rock 'n' roll way.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:33 AM

I knew you were being sarcastic, but I wanted to reiterate the fact htat SUVs aren't safe.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:34 AM

In a kind of intelligent way. Not in a ignorant redneck dumbass AMERICA **** YEAH way.
Fixed.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 4, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Is that Canadian people or American people not "needing" a large SUV?
Because, as you know, in America not "needing" an SUV is . . . well, un-American.
Here is the article. SUV sales are way down in both countries. It's about time too.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 11:50 AM

I never have said it was the safest vehicle. I never said it gets good gas milage and doesn't pollute. I never said I need it cause of bad weather. Etc.

I said it fits my needs and my comfort where no other vehicle would at the price I was willing to pay. I would have loved the new wagon volvo, for example, but the fact is I'm not comfortable in it.

End of discussion. Period. And f all of you saying go on a diet. I am trying. But that will never help leg and head room in a vehicle which is where the problem is. So again, stop telling me what I can and can't drive.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 11:51 AM

They're. Not their.
By that rational, I should be allowed to smoke near babies. Just cuz I can afford to and want to. Nevermind the well being of everyone else.

What I find funny is that most ATHIESTS I know are more considerate of the well fare of others than most Christians.
Rationale. Not rational.
Welfare. Not well fare.

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 12:00 PM

Some can and will deny it, because it sucks to be wrong. Mastrap's right though: it's no coincidence (that was funny to read, btw).

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Rationale. Not rational.
Welfare. Not well fare.

Thanks. I hate not knowing what I'm screwing up.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Maybe you shouldn't talk on the phone while driving?

Irony, my friend, irony. Ironie, in your local tongue

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 01:10 PM

It could be just coincidence. Short of seeing the second-hand sales data for SUVs, we have no way of knowing.

Well you should come and have a look at the 'pre-owned cars' on dealers lot. They are not selling either....

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 02:35 PM

In a kind of wimpy, girlish, geeky, Emo way. Not in a proper rock 'n' roll way.

No

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 02:46 PM

don't those big ass trucks suck as much gas as suv's do?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
don't those big ass trucks suck as much gas as suv's do?
Truck sales are tanking, too, from the NPR news report I heard this morning, anyway. Of course we all know that NPR makes everything up, since they're govt. sponsored librul eelights, so discount that as you see fit.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 03:33 PM

While I can’t stand the busy-body, nose in everyone else’s business, dictate to everyone what they can and can’t own types, I have to say this is good news.

Yes people can drive whatever the hell they like. It’s a free country, despite the most earnest wishes of the busy-body crowd to cram their bullcrap down everyone else’s throats.

But it would be nice to see more people that don’t actually need an SUV drive something a bit more fuel-efficient. If for no other reason, to force the car companies to offer more options, and to do more development on even more efficient and alternative fuel vehicles. The automakers will always go where the market is. It’s about time people got tired of shelling out so much for gas, and demanded more fuel efficiency.

Ultimately, I wish we’d collectively get together, develop alternative energy sources, and tell the whole of the oil producing Middle East to go back to pounding sand or whatever else they were doing before we ever burdened them so terribly by turning them into oil gazillionaires. Pull everything out of the region, and let’s see them lighten the F up after nobody wants to line up and pay them through the nose for the black gold anymore.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
This is one of the ugliest Volvo's EVAR. What were they thinking ?

-t

Sealobo
Oct 4, 2005, 04:33 PM

if one drives an SUV, then he might not have a small penis. But if one has a small penis, then he must drive an SUV.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 04:34 PM

I wanna 2005 Mustang.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 4, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
if one drives an SUV, then he might not have a small penis. But if one has a small penis, then he must drive an SUV.
What about if he rides a motorcycle?

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 04:46 PM

In other news: SUV makers are considering cloning dead cats!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 04:58 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
No
Yes. A properly rock 'n' roll vehicle wouldn't have those overdesigned tail-lights and would be rear-wheel drive.

Now, that Brabus posted in another thread is properly rock 'n' roll. If you had them leave out the traction control when they built it for you.

OreoCookie
Oct 4, 2005, 06:36 PM

Yes. A properly rock 'n' roll vehicle wouldn't have those overdesigned tail-lights and would be rear-wheel drive.

Now, that Brabus posted in another thread is properly rock 'n' roll. If you had them leave out the traction control when they built it for you.
If you take a closer look, this volvo had four-wheel drive (it's the AWD, all-wheel drive on the back) which is arguably superior to rear-wheel drive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
What about if he rides a motorcycle?
That's easy. Tiny balls.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
If you take a closer look, this volvo had four-wheel drive (it's the AWD, all-wheel drive on the back) which is arguably superior to rear-wheel drive.
Yes. AWD - nowhere near as rock 'n' roll as RWD.

Technically superior? Yes.
Proper rock 'n' roll? No. Too safe. Like an Emo band rather than Motorhead. A proper rock 'n' roll car should attempt to kill you every time you drive it (much like any 3-year-old-plus TVR model does).

So. Point proven. Volvo does not rock.

OreoCookie
Oct 4, 2005, 06:55 PM

Yes. AWD - nowhere near as rock 'n' roll as RWD.

Technically superior? Yes.
Proper rock 'n' roll? No. Too safe. Like an Emo band rather than Motorhead. A proper rock 'n' roll car should attempt to kill you every time you drive it (much like any 3-year-old-plus TVR model does).

So. Point proven. Volvo does not rock.

If you see it that way, then you're right
If you drive a RWD in winter on a snow-covered street, it's also rock 'n' roll (Especially if you shut off ESP )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 07:01 PM

Dp Dp Dp Dp

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 07:04 PM

I DO "need" an SUV.

I have FOUR - count 'em - four children. My friend's son is staying here - I have two 13 year olds in my house right now. I do animal rescue and I am constantly hauling those things around.

Do I grimace when I fill up the tank? Yes.

But do I have a choice? No.

What I am doing is making sure that all of my running around is done in a day and I don't make any extra trips for things.

Now, while we're discussing SUV sales "tanking," why don't you also discuss how the economy is going downhill...FAST? People are starting to default on credit card payments. Not too hard given that gas is so expensive and as a result EVERYTHING goes up, not just a gallon of gas at a pump. Oh, and Alan Greenspan is so "worried" about the credit card issue that he's demanding that credit card companies double their minimum payments from 2% to 4%.

Link.

We're in deep sh*t in this country and don't blame it on the SUV drivers.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 07:13 PM

Oh, and I don't owe one dime to any credit card companies. Not one dime, not one nickel, not one penny.

So, while you're turning up your nose at my SUV ask yourselves how much money you owe to credit card companies? I think you should worry about your own problems instead of worrying about whether or not I drive an SUV.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I DO "need" an SUV.

I have FOUR - count 'em - four children. My friend's son is staying here - I have two 13 year olds in my house right now. I do animal rescue and I am constantly hauling those things around.

Volkswagen Tuareg Sports Utility Vehicle
13.5 litres / 100 km

Opel Combo
5.3 litres / 100 km

Do you really "need" the SUV?

Forum Links
Forum Rules