Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 14)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
As for everyone else being assholes, I know I can be an asshole. The problem is, you and a few others around here get off on pushing someone else around to make yourselves feel better, making you worse assholes than I'll ever be, because at least I have enough decency not to take out my moods on others. I guess I'll just live happy in the knowledge you'll never have enough wealth or influence to be anything more than basic forum bullies.
Let's go back to the exchange shall we.

CTP Asserts: "The Golf R is a small GT, not a hot hatch. It's like a mini AWD Passat, only more nimble, definitely not competition for GTI or Type R customers."

When this line of thought is questioned, quite reasonably mind you...

CTP Condescendingly Retorts: Okay. emphasis mine *shrug* Car culture is oftentimes confusing.

Translation:

"You won't be able to understand Shortcut, car culture nomenclature is a slippery beast for even the most seasoned knower of things, as I clearly am, to fully grasp. Despite your proof to the contrary involving dozens of automotive publications I simply cannot meet in the middle on this one."

We're not bullies, we're more like concerned neighbors.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
So I went on a client visit.
This is me in his LeMans Jaguar D-Type
Didn't almost all of the D-Types get destroyed in a factory fire? That thing must be worth a fortune.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Didn't almost all of the D-Types get destroyed in a factory fire? That thing must be worth a fortune.
It was surprisingly spacious inside. I am not as thin as your average racing driver but there was plenty of room.

I believe it's an ex Ecurie Ecosse car
( Last edited by Doc HM; Jun 26, 2017 at 05:20 PM. )
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2017, 05:23 PM

have managed to organise another (famous starship captain) client to drive it at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed, which promises to be a fun weekend.
There was a rather nice Alfa Romeo 8C as well.

Beats actually fixing Macs!
This picture deserves to be on a new page. Very cool car and happy Doc!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
"You won't be able to understand Shortcut, car culture nomenclature is a slippery beast for even the most seasoned knower of things, as I clearly am, to fully grasp. Despite your proof to the contrary involving dozens of automotive publications I simply cannot meet in the middle on this one."
Your assumption is incorrect, that's what you get for jumping to a conclusion. I was being sincere, all hobby groups have weird, near-impenetrable jargon and nomenclature. Instead of automatically believing the worst, why don't check yourself and save everyone else another argument that invariably leads to derailing yet another thread? Like I said, I'm not your punching bag for whatever personal problems you may be having.

We're not bullies
That isn't true, unfortunately. If it were we wouldn't be in this spot.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2017, 10:38 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2017, 01:05 AM

I have no idea what that means, but Katy does have a nice set of cupcakes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 27, 2017, 09:37 AM

Bleh, not a real sports car.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2017, 01:44 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2017, 06:51 AM

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z...y-monitor--2#/

Got this and have been testing it for a month now and I love it. While it isn't something that needs heavy monitoring, tire pressures usually stay pretty stable unless there are extreme temperature changes, it's nice for peace of mind and will help identify if you develop a slow leak (a thing you can't see without a gauge, no matter how closely you look). It notified me that I had such a leak on Wasabi's right front tire, it was leaking about 2% per day under heavy driving (virtually none while parked). For $107 this is a real tire, and possibly life, saver. Highly recommended.

P
Jul 24, 2017, 09:23 AM

I saw that one and considered it after a bit of an incident a few months ago.

TAN: Indiegogo has had a lot of nifty things lately. Kickstarter is just art projects now, it seems, but Indiegogo has been a lot more interesting.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2017, 01:53 PM

Well, that's nifty.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2017, 02:12 PM

could have used that a while back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 25, 2017, 11:38 AM

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z...y-monitor--2#/

Got this and have been testing it for a month now and I love it. While it isn't something that needs heavy monitoring, tire pressures usually stay pretty stable unless there are extreme temperature changes, it's nice for peace of mind and will help identify if you develop a slow leak (a thing you can't see without a gauge, no matter how closely you look). It notified me that I had such a leak on Wasabi's right front tire, it was leaking about 2% per day under heavy driving (virtually none while parked). For $107 this is a real tire, and possibly life, saver. Highly recommended.
Is it only accurate to 1psi? How quickly does the tire temperature monitor detect changes? I assume it picks up the internal air temperature, how closely does that trend to outside surface temperature? How much heavier are these than standard valve caps i.e. will it affect my tire balance?

When racing, I need to maintain tire pressures within a half psi each run. Right now I get out and check all four by hand and then air up/down to get them where I need them.

I've seen plenty of products like this before, and one that doesn't require a phone interface is better, as phones are fickle.

https://www.amazon.com/Vesafe-Monito...dp/B01LA90R6Q/

But I haven't seen one that reads down to the resolution that I need, and they're priced high enough that I don't want to blow a hundred bucks to find out it's not quite good enough.

ZimphiresRagingBoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2017, 12:25 AM

I've been sort of hunting for a tacoma. Everything is:

- Rotted out garbage
- Crew cab with tiny useless ****ing bed
- More than 225k with dubious maintenance since 'its a toyota I don't need to do anything!'
- Or decent, but people want $6500-10k for them.

Sucks.

ZimphiresRagingBoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2017, 12:32 AM

Fun stuff!

Of Audi wagons... I always had an urge for one of these. The later RS4's etc, not so bothered, but this for some reason I really really wanted...

Probably because it's one of the greatest cars of all time. Also, did you know that 034 used today's CFD software to redesign an exhaust manifold for the legendary Audi turbocharged 20v inline five? And that it flows way way higher than even a legit RS2 manifold? And did you know that other cars also use KKK turbos, like the Volvo S60R and V70R, and if you take that turbo off, you can bolt it onto said manifold? And that with a compressor wheel change you can bump up an additional 26hp on top of all those other gains?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2017, 07:31 AM

"Audi is greatest!" Definitely Ca$h.

Was thinking about you recently. We picked up an R8 V8 with a M/T for restoration (FE collision) and you briefly came to mind.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ZimphiresRagingBoner View Post
I've been sort of hunting for a tacoma. Everything is:

- Rotted out garbage
- Crew cab with tiny useless ****ing bed
- More than 225k with dubious maintenance since 'its a toyota I don't need to do anything!'
- Or decent, but people want $6500-10k for them.

Sucks.
Years ago I needed a pickup and basically ended up in the same situation. Either 240k miles and rusted out, or under 100k for like 12 grand. Ended up going with a 4x4 GMC Sonoma

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2017, 03:43 PM

"Audi is greatest!" Definitely Ca$h.

Was thinking about you recently. We picked up an R8 V8 with a M/T for restoration (FE collision) and you briefly came to mind.
Wife wants a manual convertible someday. I'm waiting for the V10 Spyder 6-speed prices to come down...to like $20k...

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2017, 04:29 PM

Trucks have really good resale value here since that’s all anyone seems to drive.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wife wants a manual convertible someday. I'm waiting for the V10 Spyder 6-speed prices to come down...to like $20k...
You'll be dead long before then.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2017, 03:32 AM

Just get a Miata and be done with it!!

Or an S2000. But the Miata's the safer bet.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Oct 1, 2017, 04:01 AM

That’s not gonna happen with IC cars being phased out and all. Plus, they will still cost a fortune when something breaks. Get a Miata, you can drive that thing at 90-100 % as a mere mortal without instantly killing yourself. And your wife.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2018, 05:26 AM

Ford is pulling out of the car market except for the Mustang, citing poor sales.

Rumors that GM and Fiat may be following suit. RIP cars in ‘Merica?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Ford is pulling out of the car market except for the Mustang, citing poor sales.

Good job we've banned single use plastic straws in the UK then. Wouldn't want the plant to go to fcuk while you lot carry on with your giant SUV lovefest.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Just get a Miata and be done with it!!

Or an S2000. But the Miata's the safer bet.
Boxters are currently mere pennies. The right one can be fun. Also shame the new Miata based FIAT 124 is too new to be cheap. Wait a couple of years though, it IS a fiat after all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2018, 05:39 PM

I'm having a hard time faulting them. The Taurus is and has been since its redesign in 2010, total garbage. Huge, heavy, slow, inefficient, and tiny on the inside. Seriously - a Jetta has more interior room than a 4200lb 17-foot-long Taurus.

The Fiesta is a tiny car, and those aren't perceived as fitting the "average" sized American, and they typically aim for lower price points. There's no profit margin trying to compete with Kia or Hyundai in the "tiny crapcan" segment.

The Fusion is a fine car, but it's up against the Camry and Accord. Both of those are extremely good cars, and Honda and Toyota are struggling to sell them (in 2016, Honda sold 345,000 Accords vs. 357,000 CR-Vs, and the difference has increased the past two years). If everyone (rightly) believes the Camry and Accord to be better cars, how do you compete? Drop the price. There goes your profit margin again.

The Focus is a decent enough car and in the Titanium trim line has some fairly high-end features, though it's notably missing some important features. Plus things like the a rear view camera were for a while only available in the Titanium trim, which was pricey and potentially added a bunch of stuff you didn't want. No one wants a $28,000 Focus. But the biggest Achilles heel for the Focus was the garbage DCT automatic trans they tried to use. It's been a dumpster fire of a transmission and the Australian government just fined Ford $10mil over how bad it was and how poorly they handled it with their customers, denying the issue and blaming drivers for driving wrong.

Add to that in 2008, when Ford was finally getting their shit together and vehicle quality was on par with Honda/Toyota, they tried to get ahead of the touchscreen curve and introduced the SYNC 2 touchscreen system that was so much hot garbage that it ON ITS OWN completely tanked Ford's reliability ratings. Those are usually rated based on the number of times a car goes to the dealer, and with a touchscreen system that was both incredibly buggy and incredibly confusing to use, owners were going back to the dealer again and again and it sure didn't look good for Ford. So at a time when they should have been building their reputation as a reliable automaker - their longstanding Duratec V6 was a winner, their Mazda-based 4 cylinders were terrific, the 2011 release of the Coyote V8 was a renaissance for the Mustang and F150, and their EcoBoost branding success should have raised their reputation significantly, but they were fighting with stupid infotainment issues that plagued them through 2016.

Everybody is lamenting the change as though Ford will regret this when gas prices go back up - that's not how it works. The small crossovers get basically the same fuel economy as comparable sedans. An Escape does the same mpg numbers as a Fusion, weighs less, holds the same number of people, has twice the cargo capacity, more headroom, and it's narrower and 13" shorter so it's way easier to maneuver and park. Plus it costs less.

"OH," but you'll complain, "I'm an ENTHUSIAST and VEHICLE DYNAMICS are what I care about! Crossover are all terrible-handling and gross and yuck!"

So the Escape pulls 0.84g and brakes from 60mph in 116ft. The (non-Sport) Fusion does 0.83g and brakes in 119ft. Even the Edge does 0.85g on the skidpad. Everyone wants to hate crossovers on principle but in reality the taller seating and hatch/wagon configuration mean they're way more comfortable and way more useful in a more compact package, and perform as well or better than their sedan counterparts. The traditional 3-box sedan design is stupid and dumb and I won't miss it.

Add to this Ford's reported commitment to hybrid and EV vehicles over the next 5 years and they won't be hurting when the next gas crisis hits, as every keyboard warrior armchair-CEO seems to believe.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2018, 09:37 PM

You disn’t even mention the ST/RS vehicles, though, which have done pretty good IIRC.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2018, 09:54 PM

I of course now pay attention to mini-cargo vans.

In this market at least, Ford’s got that one locked up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2018, 10:43 AM

You disn’t even mention the ST/RS vehicles, though, which have done pretty good IIRC.
The ST has been a hit with enthusiasts, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's profitable or a commercial success. Only limitation is the lack of an LSD, which means the brakes overheat after not too long on the track.

The RS should have been awesome, but it's experiencing head gasket issues, and Ford is doing the typical Ford "deny deny deny/not my problem/prove it/go away" with customers, customers that paid $37,000 for a Focus.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2018, 03:40 PM

I’m kinda stunned. This is the first Civic I’ve ever liked, and I genuinely like it.

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2018, 04:23 PM

it looks... sporty? dunno, still a civic.

Got to ride in a 2016 Ford Explorer today, it was very comfortable.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2018, 04:31 PM

To me, it doesn’t have that Civic feel that every other Civic has, and I don’t really like.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2018, 05:26 PM

The new Civic looks okay, the new Accord has some kind of awful Neanderthal forehead thing going on.

Weirdly, the current Camry is the first Camry I've genuinely liked.

I swear it looks better in person.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2018, 05:31 PM

Those cars have gotten too large for my tastes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2018, 05:07 PM

Father in law drives a 1999 Toyota Corolla 5-speed. The size difference between it and a new Corolla is amazing.

Thorzdad
Jun 6, 2018, 08:35 AM

Those cars have gotten too large for my tastes.
That seems to be the usual trend. Today's Honda Civic is about the same size as an Accord from just 15 years ago. Way back in the day ('86-ish?), we owned a Civic Si hatchback. It was small, functional, and fun to drive. The size (yet impressive hauling capacity) was a big part of the appeal. I think you could park it in the cargo area of our current Fit, /s.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 6, 2018, 11:30 AM

Small world. I have a Fit today, and once owned a Civic from the 80s. The model sizes have indeed slipped upwards.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
That seems to be the usual trend. Today's Honda Civic is about the same size as an Accord from just 15 years ago. Way back in the day ('86-ish?), we owned a Civic Si hatchback. It was small, functional, and fun to drive. The size (yet impressive hauling capacity) was a big part of the appeal. I think you could park it in the cargo area of our current Fit, /s.
Yep, 2017 Fit owner here as well. Will likely upgrade to the 2018 or 2019 version if the new iOS 12 CarPlay with google Maps actually works on their console - my wife loves it. It’s the perfect city car.

Hey, all these cars are bigger and better - more legroom, more airbags and safety features, more power, more performance, more everything. Try fitting a couple reverse-facing car seats in even a 1990s Civic - bet it would be a fun time.

I also like how subego loves the coupe. Have we ever had a larger delta between professed loves, and actual purchases? Subego loves: Subaru BRZ, Mazda RX8, Civic Coupe. Subego buys: Cargo van, X5 SUV.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2018, 02:37 PM

Personally, I regretted getting the X5. Too flashy and expensive for a daily driver, but the ex got to drive a tank, and that was what was important. She also liked the flashy.

The van and the Cherokee I used to have are more my speed. I love the shit out of the van.

I’m into aesthetics, though, so I like how sports cars look, and driving fast is fun.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2018, 10:58 PM

Meh, keeping my Fiesta ST until it dies at this point. Nothing really excites me at the moment.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2018, 02:45 AM

I drove a Mk5 VW GTI for nine years and loved it. Huge fan. Bought a new one last year with the Driver Assist package and absolutely hated it. The tech wizardry kills the GTI driving experience. The car kept slamming on the brakes if I approached roundabouts quickly. It slammed on the brakes while driving down a straight road with no traffic. It would flash a BRAKE warning on the dash randomly. It was like having a driving lesson from a Granny with her own brake pedal. The "Park Assist" would display "ERROR" whenever I parked it in my garage. The infotainment screen has no physical buttons, so I was frequently trying to both drive and hit just the right spot on the touch screen - very distracting. The "courtesy closing" windows kept losing the setting to close from the key fob (never happened with my Mk5). The final straw was a loose rattling driver's window that refused to close (hitting the frame and winding back down). VW tried to tell me all Golf windows are loose and rattle, rather than fix it.

!!!

Screw VW.

Traded it in yesterday (with the dodgy window) for a used F56 Mini Cooper S (plus change). Yeah I might have trouble with it, but you expect that with a Mini. All part of the charm. So far it's already been much less annoying than the GTI, and a lot more enjoyable.

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2018, 03:36 AM

I own a 2015 CR-V, an OK car to drive around. It has the shaking at idle issue that Honda has never fixed, though (Honda did issue a fix but it doesn't work). Car height is OK, but a tad high. Next car will either be a Subaru Forester or Lexus IS or Genesis G70.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2018, 03:04 PM

My good buddy just got a new CR-V - it’s super nice, I must say. My brother has a 2018 Forester (I had a 2015 a few years back, and I don’t think much changed) - the AWD is nice if you actually need it, but otherwise it doesn’t feel nearly as nice as the new CR-V.

I spent a few hours driving a Civic Type-R around some backcountry roads a couple days ago. Oh man is that car friggin fun to drive......

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2018, 12:05 AM

Type-R is nice but the styling is a bit over the top IMO.

OreoCookie
Jun 15, 2018, 12:31 AM

The Type R now looks like a boy racer. The model they had three (?) generations ago was great, because it was very understated.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2018, 10:49 AM

I spent a few hours driving a Civic Type-R around some backcountry roads a couple days ago. Oh man is that car friggin fun to drive......
We've had a couple show up to autocross, they're very capable!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2018, 10:39 PM

Type-R is nice but the styling is a bit over the top IMO.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The Type R now looks like a boy racer. The model they had three (?) generations ago was great, because it was very understated.
You remember that car you loved in grade 11, when cars were everything that was exciting in the world?

Everything about the Type R makes you feel like that. I know it looks outrageous, but it’s honestly pretty wonderful - you’ve got to try one. Take it around that first corner and you’ll fall in love I promise.

The one exception is if you also love to squeal the tires. Not sure why you’d want that in a FWD but the Type R is the wrong car if you do - I was only playing around with it, but still couldn’t get more than some short chirps. Pretty amazing with 300+ horses in such a light FWD car.....

OreoCookie
Jun 19, 2018, 03:10 AM

You remember that car you loved in grade 11, when cars were everything that was exciting in the world?
I guess I was always a bit more restrained in my design preferences. I love sleepers.

Porsche 911 4S: it didn't have the (permanent spoiler) and is a more muscular version of the very classic 911 look. (Ok, the 911 isn't a sleeper, but the 4S is the more understated version compared to the Turbo.) And I loved the Audi S2 (station wagon) and the BMW M5 station wagon: very clean lines and at first glance you'd mistake them for a regular version. But only until the owner put the pedal to the medal — I always liked stealth. The Type R from two generations ago (I think two) had that.

But I know what you mean: the new Type R appeals to the people who had a Lamborghini poster on their wall when they were young. And that was a good share of my friends in school. (In Germany there are generally three types of car aficionados, those who like Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche. I'm a Porsche guy.)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2018, 03:38 AM

I feel like the design could work, just not on a Civic. The back-end is too tall and throws the whole thing off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules